Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:38 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,094 times

Advertisements

I am a right leaning independent who has been voting since the early 1960's. In that time I have voted for as many democrats as republicans. I have racked my brain trying to come up with something that I approve of that he has done. Sorry, it's not happening. Cash for clunkers appears to have been a complete waste of money. I have a hard time giving Obama a lot of credit for Bin Laden -- I believe that was the CIA and navy seals. The best I can say in that regard is after dithering for over 6 months, he finally gave the go ahead. He was very lucky that Bin Laden didn't escape while he was deciding. Add to that his utter failure in bringing down unemployment, getting us involved in undeclared hostilities in Libya, Yemen, and Somalia, failure to enforce our border with Mexico (to say nothing of the fiasco of providing guns to drug cartels), and let's not forget his total failure of leadership in the Gulf oil spill. Who can forget James carville screaming for him to do something to help the gulf coast residents?!
I held my nose and voted for McCain the last time around, because I feared (as turned out to be true) that Obama was not up to the job. Sorry, I call it as I see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I approved that he made a 2% cut to payroll taxes... the $8k new homebuyers credit.... extension of the Bush's tax cuts... $800 Something work credit....

Old 07-27-2011, 06:50 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I am a right leaning independent who has been voting since the early 1960's. In that time I have voted for as many democrats as republicans. I have racked my brain trying to come up with something that I approve of that he has done. Sorry, it's not happening. Cash for clunkers appears to have been a complete waste of money. I have a hard time giving Obama a lot of credit for Bin Laden -- I believe that was the CIA and navy seals. The best I can say in that regard is after dithering for over 6 months, he finally gave the go ahead. He was very lucky that Bin Laden didn't escape while he was deciding. Add to that his utter failure in bringing down unemployment, getting us involved in undeclared hostilities in Libya, Yemen, and Somalia, failure to enforce our border with Mexico (to say nothing of the fiasco of providing guns to drug cartels), and let's not forget his total failure of leadership in the Gulf oil spill. Who can forget James carville screaming for him to do something to help the gulf coast residents?!
I held my nose and voted for McCain the last time around, because I feared (as turned out to be true) that Obama was not up to the job. Sorry, I call it as I see it!
Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I like the tariff on imported (Chinese) tires.

Even when it cost me $35 per tire.

All sizes are not made in the US.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Reading the posts on this forum, it does seem as if he can do no right in your eyes, and depending on your allegiance to conservative/libertarian ideology, perhaps that is a justified position to hold. But there has to be at least one act/accomplishment that his administration has done which you approve of. Whether it was authorizing the operation which led to bin Laden's death, the cash-for-clunkers program, or compromising on key pieces of legislation (i.e no public option with healthcare reform), surely this administration has done something you approve of. If so, then please enlighten us at to what is/was.

Please do not leave any sarcastic or jest like comments. This thread is not about whether he has done more harm than good. If you don't feel as if he has done anything positive worth noting, then simply indicate that and move on. There are no wrong answers, I just want to hear a bunch of opinions which do not go along the lines of "Bozo the clown", "Obummer", etc....(you get it)

Thanks in advance.
As a fairly new libertarian, ex Bush neo-conservative, there is little I agree with Obama on. However, I now agree with much of what he campaigned on. Cash for clunkers was a failure, and until we realize politicians have no idea how to get the economy back on track it will continue to spiral downward. Health care did need reformed, but to think it will become cheaper with the government more involved is complete foolish. Trust me, there will be certain health care companies that will reap billions from the new legislation. It will be a disaster for some, and a golden nugget for a few. Of course, we the people will pay for it. And then there's Bin Laden. I didn't get too excited because it took 10 years to find him. We continue to bomb Afghanistan and he wasn't even there. Bin Laden, and most of the terror community was created partially from our meddling in the middle east. And look at what we are doing now; training locals to fight the "enemy." Problem is, we don't know what these locals are going to do in the future. You can't give a bunch of crazies guns, money, and training and get mad in the future when they do crazy things...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
It was a simple question and a simple request. If you don't have anything to add to this thread, within the constraints that the OP set, please read and then move on. Not every thread needs to turn ugly.

To reiterate:

Quote:
Conservatives; do you approve of anything Pres. Obama has done?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading the posts on this forum, it does seem as if he can do no right in your eyes, and depending on your allegiance to conservative/libertarian ideology, perhaps that is a justified position to hold. But there has to be at least one act/accomplishment that his administration has done which you approve of. Whether it was authorizing the operation which led to bin Laden's death, the cash-for-clunkers program, or compromising on key pieces of legislation (i.e no public option with healthcare reform), surely this administration has done something you approve of. If so, then please enlighten us at to what is/was.

Please do not leave any sarcastic or jest like comments. This thread is not about whether he has done more harm than good. If you don't feel as if he has done anything positive worth noting, then simply indicate that and move on. There are no wrong answers, I just want to hear a bunch of opinions which do not go along the lines of "Bozo the clown", "Obummer", etc....(you get it)

Thanks in advance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Reading the posts on this forum, it does seem as if he can do no right in your eyes,

Thanks in advance.
I'm dead serious. I agree with his efforts to normalize relations with Cuba.... problem is, he doesn't go far enough. We should totally normalize relations with Cuba.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I'd say he's almost single handedly resuscitated conservatism in america. That's quite an acomplishment right there.

Last edited by Dutchman01; 07-27-2011 at 08:46 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I like the fact that he has continue SOME of Bush's policies.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
No. Nothing. Moving on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies