Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,308,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I would suggest you read the article Katiana has linked up.
Read it before, and its been disputed as outright lies so many times. But that wont stop liberals from displaying their ignorance.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM

50,637 posts, read 47,480,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Cutting the mortgage tax deduction should lower housing prices. Yeah, it'll suck for current homeowners, but it should make it more affordable for future buyers to own a home. In the long run, I think it's a good thing.
With foreclosures and short sales so high I don't know if that would be a good thing. The lower housing prices go the more upside down many will be and I wonder how many will throw in the towel from such a move.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,577,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Medicare, you didn't pay for. No sireee. Most of it is unfunded.

I also don't support the mortgage interest deduction. Why not give all homeowners a tax deduction? Why give one JUST to people who take on really huge mortgages? It encourages irresponsible choices and it makes no sense.
Totall agreement with this thinking.

Tax breaks of this nature are just "Government Freebies"!

They come with a price tag of the government giving you something that "they" can't afford.

If you are comtemplating buying a house, just as you would a car, why should there be tax deduction because you've decided you can afford to make that purchase? If the tax deduction is necessary to be able to afford that house you DAMN STRAIGHT OUT shouldn't be buying a house period!

Never should have been there in the first place. Just more nonsense along the lines of Bernie Franks and Chris Dodds thinking.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM

9,373 posts, read 15,033,926 times
I fully support the mortgage tax deduction- one of the few deductions left for the middle class.

It never ceases to amaze me how people vote against their own best interests and favor the very wealthy for all the deductions and tax advantages.

Do you know what the free market economy really means? It means your job goes to Mexico or India and you health care goes to profit the insurance company. Your high gas costs go to benefit the profits of the oil industry who refused to modify the gasoline engine and so on.......

Sleep well America....

Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,064,423 times
I say get the federal government out of the housing market all together. Get them out of the FHA, get them out of Fannie/Freddie, get them out of HUD (should go to the states), and end the mortgage deduction at the federal level. There is no reason taxpayers should subsidise home buyers and be stuck holding the bill when they default on their mortgages. How much could we cut out of the federal budget by ending the Department of Housing and Urban Development?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,253,877 times
What boggles my mind in this whole debate is the underlying theme that the fruits of ones' labor, i.e. money paid for one's labor, somehow "belongs" to the federal government and that said government is giving some of us money unfairly at the expense of others. There is no better definition of slavery than the idea that the fruits of one's labor belongs to someone else.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,835,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
There is no better definition of slavery than the idea that the fruits of one's labor belongs to someone else.
i don't agree. by that logic, capitalism is slavery. A capital-owning employer retains the fruits of the labor of an employee.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:13 AM

32,911 posts, read 19,597,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
It should be cut. Spending in the tax code should be eliminated and rates should come down. Other countries who don't subsidize home buying have just as many if not more people who own homes.
why do liberals always want to kill the middleclass???

Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,109,383 times
Default right again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
All the more reason to stop paying your mortgage, sign up for the freebies and let everybody else pay for it. That is what THEY want after all. Next they will be going after 401K's to pay off the debt because only "rich" folks flying around in those corporate jets can afford a 401K. I mean it's not fair everybody doesn't have one.

That's exactly what they want!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM

32,911 posts, read 19,597,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I say get the federal government out of the housing market all together. Get them out of the FHA, get them out of Fannie/Freddie, get them out of HUD (should go to the states), and end the mortgage deduction at the federal level. There is no reason taxpayers should subsidise home buyers and be stuck holding the bill when they default on their mortgages. How much could we cut out of the federal budget by ending the Department of Housing and Urban Development?
exactly..its the federal goverment at the direction of clinton that got us this housing bubble/bust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies