Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The Norway gunman touted it.

Enough said.

Insane folks say crazy things.
The Norway mass murderer used a Ruger mini-14, long gun that once was commonly used by European LE for their carbines. Folks here used to refer to the mini-14 as the best shotgun Ruger ever made (some will understand what I mean). The normal capacity magazines for the Ruger (20 round) are more prevelant in Europe than in the USA. Bill Ruger designed the reduced capacity 5 round magazine specifically for the US market, not the European market.

Just as Ms. McCarthy blamed the gun for her husband's death she blames the magazines for the death of the children. Too bad she doesn't believe in laying accountability at the feet of the murderer instead of inanimate objects. I truly believe that had Ms. McCarthy's husband been killed in a car accident she would have dedicated her life to outlawing cars.

Edited to add: The killer was on drugs.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-shooting.html

Quote:
Geir Lippestad Mr Lippestad said it was “too early” to say if his client was mad, but added: “The whole case has indicated that he is insane.”

He said his client had taken drugs before going on the rampage “to be strong, efficient and awake” and was “sorry that he had to do this but it was necessary because he is in a war”.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 07-28-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
...says a New York Congresswoman.

Congresswoman: Norway gunman touted lax US gun laws - politics - More politics - msnbc.com

This is about the most ridiculous stretch of the facts I've ever seen from the already stretch armstrong-like anti-gun politicos. Have they no shame?
No, they have no shame. Shame requires that you have some personal integrity. No integrity=no shame.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Okay, 'fess up. Which one of you yo-yos is responsible for helping this dipsh*t get into Congress?
Not mine. She is from New York I believe. That was a stupid statement by the congressman. We need an amendment to give candidates IQ candidates before they can run for office or at least give the voters IQ tests.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Charles Manson quoted Helter Skelter. Therefore the Beatles are accessories to murder...

Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 PM

300 posts, read 250,336 times
McCarthy needs a mental health evaluation. She cannot possibly be of sound mind and body and has obviously never gotten over the fact a lunatic used a tool and killed someone she loved.

Blame the murderer, not the method. She belongs in a straight jacket.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I know you all love your guns, but making it a bit harder to get assault weapons might actually be good, ya know?

The dude in Virginia, the guy in Arizona,it is just getting crazy! This from a guy who likes to target shoot, but is not crazy about crazies getting incredibly lethal weapons. All these guys killed dozens of people! That would not be done unless any crazy dweeb could get an automatic weapon.

Instead of doing the perpetually offended rants, why don't you put forward some ideas for how to keep the public safe while keeping the 2nd Amendment?

Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I know you all love your guns, but making it a bit harder to get assault weapons might actually be good, ya know?

The dude in Virginia, the guy in Arizona,it is just getting crazy! This from a guy who likes to target shoot, but is not crazy about crazies getting incredibly lethal weapons. All these guys killed dozens of people! That would not be done unless any crazy dweeb could get an automatic weapon.

Instead of doing the perpetually offended rants, why don't you put forward some ideas for how to keep the public safe while keeping the 2nd Amendment?
What percentage of mass shootings were done by people who were already legally disqualified from doing so for reasons of mental defect? I suspect not a very sizable portion, possibly bordering on statistically marginal.

We already have extremely harsh and very aggressive laws precluding the supposedly "mentally unsound" people from owning weapons. I would even argue the threshold is even far lower (meaning much harsher) than what most people call for when they rail against that crazy people having guns, as the law doesn't just target genuinely bat**** crazies who want to hurt others, the threshold is so low that it actually ensnares tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands of fairly ordinary people who might have had fairly generic emotional troubles in their younger years relating to things like suicide or even simple depression, which in and of itself have nothing to do with being a genuine danger to others, and so no reason these people should ever be precluded from ownership on those grounds.

What more do you want? What more can be done? Arguably many, if not most, of the people who do these mass shoots were by all rights so-called "ordinary people" (so far as the law was concerned) who just seemingly snapped one day. There isn't much you can do about these "wild cards" short of employing genuinely valid scientific methods (not quackpot pseudo-science psychology) (the movie "Minority Report" depicting a fictional future world where people actually had that scientific ability with some degree of precision) that simply do not exists nowadays to identify those people with any real degree of accuracy, and to be able to scientifically separate those who are a real threat from those who are not.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 07-29-2011 at 01:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The Norway mass murderer used a Ruger mini-14, long gun that once was commonly used by European LE for their carbines. Folks here used to refer to the mini-14 as the best shotgun Ruger ever made (some will understand what I mean). The normal capacity magazines for the Ruger (20 round) are more prevelant in Europe than in the USA. Bill Ruger designed the reduced capacity 5 round magazine specifically for the US market, not the European market.

Just as Ms. McCarthy blamed the gun for her husband's death she blames the magazines for the death of the children. Too bad she doesn't believe in laying accountability at the feet of the murderer instead of inanimate objects. I truly believe that had Ms. McCarthy's husband been killed in a car accident she would have dedicated her life to outlawing cars.

Edited to add: The killer was on drugs.
Norway massacre: Anders Breivik took drugs to make himself 'strong' before shooting - Telegraph
I agree, I have no problem blaming the gunman. I'm saying that just because he says something doesn't make it true.

Crazy people are going to kill you regardless of how many bullets they have in a magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies