Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:40 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times

Advertisements

Republicans revealed an alternate budget proposal Tuesday,which was subsequently rejected by Democrats who pointed out that the proposal unfairly targets poor and middle-class Americans while benefiting the rich. Programs such as Medicare and Medicaid would be drastically cut. The White House released a statement saying the budget plan “cuts taxes for millionaires and special interests while placing a greater burden on seniors who depend on Medicare or live in nursing homes, families struggling with a child who has serious disabilities, workers who have lost their health care coverage, and students and their families who rely on Pell grants."
The Government Shutdown Blame Game: Republicans or Democrats? - National News - AllMediaNY

Just heard Chuck Schumer talking about this. He stated that if the American people heard what was going on behind the closed doors of the Tea Party Caucus, they would be appalled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Republicans revealed an alternate budget proposal Tuesday,which was subsequently rejected by Democrats who pointed out that the proposal unfairly targets poor and middle-class Americans while benefiting the rich. Programs such as Medicare and Medicaid would be drastically cut. The White House released a statement saying the budget plan “cuts taxes for millionaires and special interests while placing a greater burden on seniors who depend on Medicare or live in nursing homes, families struggling with a child who has serious disabilities, workers who have lost their health care coverage, and students and their families who rely on Pell grants."
The Government Shutdown Blame Game: Republicans or Democrats? - National News - AllMediaNY

Just heard Chuck Schumer talking about this. He stated that if the American people heard what was going on behind the closed doors of the Tea Party Caucus, they would be appalled.
I work in healthcare and I'm appalled by cuts to home health and to hospitals that occured in Obamacare. The Democrats hurt a lot of the same people they are claiming to want to protect.

This is all political theater, made possible by those who blindly follow their party while regurgitating the daily talking point ad nauseum.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:46 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
I was watching the TV show " Swamp People" last night and thought, SO THIS IS HOW THE TEA PARTY MADE IT TO WASHINGTON!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I work in healthcare and I'm appalled by cuts to home health and to hospitals that occured in Obamacare. The Democrats hurt a lot of the same people they are claiming to want to protect.

This is all political theater, made possible by those who blindly follow their party while regurgitating the daily talking point ad nauseum.
The truth is the United States spends the most money per person on healthcare, yet it has one of the lowest life expectancy rates among modern countries and one of the highest rates of uninsured people. I spent a few years living in Australia and I can promise you, there is no major healthcare debate going on like there is in the United States. People like and support universal healthcare. They have one of the highest life expectancy rates in the world yet they have one of the highest obesity rates in the world too, so don't give me that crap about "well Americans are overweight, that's why we rank so low among life expectancies among modern countries."

Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Well look at your source. Of course they are going to blame the Tea Party, cause blaming themselves is not going to happen. Democrats had their chance, and this is what happened. Not even Obama truely believes that the Tea Party is to blame. He says it, like a lying child that is trying to keep from being punished, but the man has been in charge long enough.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
In the private sector most people are paid based on performance. Have a standard of accountability that is lacking in gov sector.
Is expecting teachers to deliver a certain level of performance or be result driven unreasonable.
The 1 thing that should be obvious when it comes to gov spending is that spending more does not = higher quality or better.
take it from someone who has a special needs child. 2 different school districts. same gov spending for my daughter and a world of difference in quality.
As for the disabled. Once again I have a disabled child. I have no issue for setting standards and holding people accountable.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The truth is the United States spends the most money per person on healthcare, yet it has one of the lowest life expectancy rates among modern countries and one of the highest rates of uninsured people. I spent a few years living in Australia and I can promise you, there is no major healthcare debate going on like there is in the United States. People like and support universal healthcare. They have one of the highest life expectancy rates in the world yet they have one of the highest obesity rates in the world too, so don't give me that crap about "well Americans are overweight, that's why we rank so low among life expectancies among modern countries."
And where did he talk about fat Americans? If Australia is so perfect, then go back. And take me with you, cause I would love to live in the most perfect country on Earth.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times
Quote:
I have no idea how you got that argument from my post. I didn't say a word about overweight Americans or anything about life expectancy. BTW Obamacare isn't universal health care so again, I don't know what Australia's having universal health has to do with this thread.

My post merely states that both parties have been responsible for proposing cutting healthcare and to believe otherwise is wrong.

Last edited by NSHL10; 07-28-2011 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-28-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
And where did he talk about fat Americans? If Australia is so perfect, then go back. And take me with you, cause I would love to live in the most perfect country on Earth.
When I state the fact that modern countries with universal healthcare spend less money per person and the average person lives years longer than the average American they say...Well that's because they are healthier people. Americans are obese and that's why our average life expectancy is lower than these other countries, it's not because of their universal healthcare systems. This argument is FALSE, Australia last time I checked was the second fattest country in the world, yet they have the second longest life expectancy in the world.

Did I say the country is perfect? NO! However, there is no major debate about healthcare like there is in the United States. I'm too much of a patriot to live long term in another country. I love this country and we need to understand we don't know best in every area. Sometimes we need to look around the world and see if there are ways to do things better.

Bottom line once again. We pay the most per person in healthcare, yet we one of the lowest insured rates and life expectancy rates among modern countries. You can't argue with that fact!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times
Quote:
I was watching the TV show " Swamp People" last night and thought, SO THIS IS HOW THE TEA PARTY MADE IT TO WASHINGTON!
I was watching reruns of Cops DC a couple nights ago and thought, So this is how Obama made it to Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies