Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,869,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
I think the post office does a great job. I also think 3 or 4 days a week are enough. If you have a residential or larger size lot they should have their boxes at the street. No door delivery in those areas.
I think you will see five days per week. If the USPS does that and the other measures I mentioned, I think you will see them back to where no one thinks about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As I previously posted, I have to drive into town to pick up my mail. Only FedEx and UPS will deliver right to my door. And I have to pay extra to pick up my mail in town.
Then you have a PO box. You must have a road somewhere along your property that can house a mailbox. Even if you live 50 miles off the main road, the box could be put up at the beginning of your private drive/road.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,348,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Then you have a PO box. You must have a road somewhere along your property that can house a mailbox. Even if you live 50 miles off the main road, the box could be put up at the beginning of your private drive/road.
If I wanted to pay for the extra expense, I could buy and put up a mail box just off the highway, which is still several miles from my home. It is cheaper, and safer, to maintain a P.O. Box instead.

Nor is Alaska isolated in this regard. Nobody who lives in rural US has their mail delivered to their door. They all either have P.O. Boxes, like me, or they have Rural Route boxes located on the nearest major road or highway.

The USPS is there to serve city critters, not all Americans.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
If I wanted to pay for the extra expense, I could buy and put up a mail box just off the highway, which is still several miles from my home. It is cheaper, and safer, to maintain a P.O. Box instead.

Nor is Alaska isolated in this regard. Nobody who lives in rural US has their mail delivered to their door. They all either have P.O. Boxes, like me, or they have Rural Route boxes located on the nearest major road or highway.

The USPS is there to serve city critters, not all Americans.
WRONG! You have the option to put up a rural mailbox, but you choose not to. Extra expense? You're paying for a PO box.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
WRONG! You have the option to put up a rural mailbox, but you choose not to. Extra expense? You're paying for a PO box.
Yes, I am paying $110/year for my P.O. Box. It would cost me considerably more than that to purchase and install my own rural mailbox. The USPS certainly is not going to do it. Not to mention being exposed and subject to theft and vandalism, which would cost me even more money.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
It would cost me considerably more than that to purchase and install my own rural mailbox.
You can buy a mailbox for $12 online, a post for around $30. I'm sure if you have that much land, you must have a post digger.

Security is up to your own discretion. If you feel safer renting a PO box, okay, but don't act like you have no option but a PO box.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,787,198 times
USPS should stop delivering mail except by "subscription". People can pay for mailboxes be it at the USPS or at a private mailbox store. Those who are infirmed or want home delivery can subscribe for it. Everyone else can pick up their own mail on their own time. Removing more than 50% of the carriers would allow for more staffing and longer hours of operation for post office locations.

If taxpayers must continue to fund the pensions/retirement funds of the USPS (even partially)
then get the UNION out of the USPS, period.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
USPS should stop delivering mail except by "subscription". People can pay for mailboxes be it at the USPS or at a private mailbox store. Those who are infirmed or want home delivery can subscribe for it. Everyone else can pick up their own mail on their own time. Removing more than 50% of the carriers would allow for more staffing and longer hours of operation for post office locations.

If taxpayers must continue to fund the pensions/retirement funds of the USPS (even partially)
then get the UNION out of the USPS, period.

Sure...let's just kill off the last of the middle class jobs.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,964,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
IMO, no amendment is required. Congress can establish a Post Office in any manner they choose.

Like you stated they have establish zip codes. There is nothing in the Constitution about any responsibility other than "establish".

My local Post Office is in a privately owned hardware store.

When was the last time you heard of Congress establishing "Post Roads"?

My local office is located on a town road that was built and is maintained by the town. Congress had nothing to do with it.

Idea of a Post Road has morphed over the years into our modern transperation system and apart from the interstate commerce clause, the general welfare clause is the Constitutional justification for the trillions of dollars spent on roads, railroads and even air travel. For example US Highway #1 north of NYC is often called The Boston Post Road. The famous Pony Express had as its core business contract carrying US Mail. The same was true for the Union Pacific RR. Lastly, what business contract started US airlines. It was something called US Airmail and who let that contract.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
You can buy a mailbox for $12 online, a post for around $30. I'm sure if you have that much land, you must have a post digger.

Security is up to your own discretion. If you feel safer renting a PO box, okay, but don't act like you have no option but a PO box.
Like I said from the very beginning, the USPS will not deliver to my door, but UPS and FedEx will. And you better add a couple hundred dollars more to your estimate. The USPS will only deliver to those rural mailboxes that they approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies