Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,902,311 times

Advertisements

I would eliminate delivery completely. Make everyone get a PO box (either private or at the Post Office). Those who have problems getting their mail could subscribe to an optional delivery service - maybe $30 or so per month?

Companies like Fed Ex and UPS should offer delivery to private mail boxes. They could buy existing post offices and sublet any unneeded space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 03:25 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,664,186 times
Angry The TRUTH about the $5 BILLION!

OK, so I had a long sit-down with our local postmistress to get the straight skinny on what was REALLY going on.

1) The Postal Service is the ONLY government 'agency' that must pay health care benefits for their retired and currently employed employees every year - IN ADVANCE.

2) In 2006, when Congress 'revamped' the Postal Service, they gave them a formula for calculating how much they would pay every year - again, in advance - for these health care costs.

3) The formula they gave them - was wrong.

4) The Postal Service determined this, and has been trying since 2007 to make Congress admit that the formula was wrong. Congress admits it - but will not allow them to take a credit, use the right formula, and will not give the money back.

5) This is where the "5 Billion dollars" is. Congress has it. Now, mind you, they cannot spend it. They cannot suck it dry and write IOUS like they have done to SS. They cannot use the money towards the health care plans. The money is just sitting there... and Congress will not give it back.

So while you listen to people argue and debate about 5 day delivery, or the Postal service being incompetent and should be stopped, etc etc, this is the truth of the matter - Congress passed a bill that proscribed that the the Postal Service pay according to their formula WHICH WAS WRONG - and Congress has refused to correct the problem or allow the Postal Service to use the correct formula. And Congress REFUSES TO PAY THEM THE MONEY BACK.

So who is really being played, here?

Old 09-09-2011, 04:14 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,879,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I would eliminate delivery completely. Make everyone get a PO box (either private or at the Post Office). Those who have problems getting their mail could subscribe to an optional delivery service - maybe $30 or so per month?

Companies like Fed Ex and UPS should offer delivery to private mail boxes. They could buy existing post offices and sublet any unneeded space.
Did you read ANY of the previous posts?

Let's go over this for the millionth time; FedEx and UPS do not want to do most rural and even some urban residential deliveries. Again, Google "last mile parcels" or packages and READ. They dump off pallets of their parcels at our office and most other USPS facilities daily. WE (the USPS) deliver them. UPS and FedEx will not put forth the multi-billions it would take to do a nationwide, every building delivery service. Not gonna happen. Ever.

Next, move to five day delivery, don't fill jobs when someone retires, quits, etc, add in layoffs to positions that are no longer needed and adjust the damn 75 year into the future benefits funding. Oh and raise postage on bulk mail. Do these things, which are all in motion as I type, and the USPS will turn a profit again. And some of you that want the simply shut down the USPS...that's not gonna happen either. Ever. The mail/delivery/advertising/printing business is a TRILLION dollar industry.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,216,995 times
Hiya Granny.
(Did you see my post on the previous page?)

People are being tricked into thinking the PO is a money pit.
The questions is: Why?

Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,386,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
OK, so I had a long sit-down with our local postmistress to get the straight skinny on what was REALLY going on.

1) The Postal Service is the ONLY government 'agency' that must pay health care benefits for their retired and currently employed employees every year - IN ADVANCE.

2) In 2006, when Congress 'revamped' the Postal Service, they gave them a formula for calculating how much they would pay every year - again, in advance - for these health care costs.

3) The formula they gave them - was wrong.

4) The Postal Service determined this, and has been trying since 2007 to make Congress admit that the formula was wrong. Congress admits it - but will not allow them to take a credit, use the right formula, and will not give the money back.

5) This is where the "5 Billion dollars" is. Congress has it. Now, mind you, they cannot spend it. They cannot suck it dry and write IOUS like they have done to SS. They cannot use the money towards the health care plans. The money is just sitting there... and Congress will not give it back.

So while you listen to people argue and debate about 5 day delivery, or the Postal service being incompetent and should be stopped, etc etc, this is the truth of the matter - Congress passed a bill that proscribed that the the Postal Service pay according to their formula WHICH WAS WRONG - and Congress has refused to correct the problem or allow the Postal Service to use the correct formula. And Congress REFUSES TO PAY THEM THE MONEY BACK.

So who is really being played, here?
I will not argue whether their formula was right or wrong, but as a government agency Congress is well within their authority to give or withhold funding as they see fit. As far as pensions are concerned, they should be forward funded, not paid after the fact.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Did you read ANY of the previous posts?

Let's go over this for the millionth time; FedEx and UPS do not want to do most rural and even some urban residential deliveries. Again, Google "last mile parcels" or packages and READ. They dump off pallets of their parcels at our office and most other USPS facilities daily. WE (the USPS) deliver them. UPS and FedEx will not put forth the multi-billions it would take to do a nationwide, every building delivery service. Not gonna happen. Ever.
That is not true. In fact, exactly the opposite is true. Only FedEx and UPS make door to door deliveries in rural areas, whereas the USPS will not.

Quote:
Next, move to five day delivery, don't fill jobs when someone retires, quits, etc, add in layoffs to positions that are no longer needed and adjust the damn 75 year into the future benefits funding. Oh and raise postage on bulk mail. Do these things, which are all in motion as I type, and the USPS will turn a profit again. And some of you that want the simply shut down the USPS...that's not gonna happen either. Ever. The mail/delivery/advertising/printing business is a TRILLION dollar industry.
A better idea would be to abolish the public union.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 AM

37,026 posts, read 18,956,811 times
Quote:
It seems congress can't decide what to do about the about the Post office. Congress wants the post office to be profitable. So, the USPS says they need to close some small post offices. A postal customer hears that the USPS is going to close their neighborhood post office. The customer goes ballistic, calls their congressman and raises hell. The congressman not wanting to lose a vote sees to it that no post offices in his district close. Multiply that by all the congresspersons in the U S and we're back to where we started. If congress wants the USPS to be profitable,they need to let it be run like a business. If they what to make sure their voters are not subject to any hardship ,like having to drive an extra 2 or 3 miles to the next post office, then fund the post office and get off our case.

Oh and the USPS has OVERpaid their two retirement funds, the CSRS by $60 BILLION and the FERS by $7 BILLION. Congress needs to butt the hell out. Besides, they are busy destroying the rest of the country.
The last time I went to the P.O. was on a Thursday to send an overnight letter and they wanted $20 or so, a reasonable sum. I asked what time the letter would be delivered. I was told that it would be delivered by 9 A.M. on Tuesday.

I told the clerk I had to have it there on Friday. "Sorry, Sir, I can't promise that." At least she was polite.

FedEx delivered the letter without a hitch. Thursday to Tuesday is not overnight service. Screw the P.O. Bring back the Pony Express.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,879,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is not true. In fact, exactly the opposite is true. Only FedEx and UPS make door to door deliveries in rural areas, whereas the USPS will not.
Once again, YOU chose to have a PO box. Most rural people don't have a problem getting their mail in a box on the side of the road. It's not the USPS's fault...it's your's!

I'm only a rural carrier, but what do I know.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Once again, YOU chose to have a PO box. Most rural people don't have a problem getting their mail in a box on the side of the road. It's not the USPS's fault...it's your's!

I'm only a rural carrier, but what do I know.
A mailbox on the side of some highway is not door to door delivery. The USPS refuses to make door to door deliveries in rural areas, whereas FedEx and UPS will make those door to door deliveries.

Obviously you do not know much.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,284,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Hiya Granny.
(Did you see my post on the previous page?)

People are being tricked into thinking the PO is a money pit.
The questions is: Why?
Gotta be some kind of globalist thing, man.

Might have something to do with obliterating that old notion of sovereignty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies