Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,902,628 times

Advertisements

It seems congress can't decide what to do about the about the Post office. Congress wants the post office to be profitable. So, the USPS says they need to close some small post offices. A postal customer hears that the USPS is going to close their neighborhood post office. The customer goes ballistic, calls their congressman and raises hell. The congressman not wanting to lose a vote sees to it that no post offices in his district close. Multiply that by all the congresspersons in the U S and we're back to where we started. If congress wants the USPS to be profitable,they need to let it be run like a business. If they what to make sure their voters are not subject to any hardship ,like having to drive an extra 2 or 3 miles to the next post office, then fund the post office and get off our case.

Oh and the USPS has OVERpaid their two retirement funds, the CSRS by $60 BILLION and the FERS by $7 BILLION. Congress needs to butt the hell out. Besides, they are busy destroying the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
They need to accept the cold hard facts that the mail service is a dying service which will eventually be replaced by digital media and communications. At some point in the near future there will be little to no need or the USPS, any small need that remains could easily be handled by other private postal carriers like UPS or Fedex.

They need to limit mail delivery to 5 days a week max, I'd go for 4 personally.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
At some point in the near future there will be little to no need or the USPS, any small need that remains could easily be handled by other private postal carriers like UPS or Fedex.
Unfortunately, I think the law currently says that private companies such as UPS and FedEx are forbidden from delivering First Class mail. This needs to be changed.

I also agree that delivery service could easily be cut back to four or five days a week - maybe even three days a week would be sufficient.

I'd also like to see bulk mail rates go up. Most of what I get in the mail is junk advertising.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
They need to accept the cold hard facts that the mail service is a dying service which will eventually be replaced by digital media and communications. At some point in the near future there will be little to no need or the USPS, any small need that remains could easily be handled by other private postal carriers like UPS or Fedex.

They need to limit mail delivery to 5 days a week max, I'd go for 4 personally.
We are actually going for three days by 2020. 50% of current post offices will be closed by 2016. Dying service? Maybe. Maybe not. I sure do deliver lots and lots of magazines, Netflix, packages, etc. UPS and FedEx are not going to EVER waste money going the "last mile" for rural parcels. Hell, we get tons of their parcels now. And don't get me started on junk mail. No, we will be around for a while longer. Besides, our shipping rates are cheaper. And it's hard to squeeze a parcel through a DSL line.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Unfortunately, I think the law currently says that private companies such as UPS and FedEx are forbidden from delivering First Class mail. This needs to be changed.

I also agree that delivery service could easily be cut back to four or five days a week - maybe even three days a week would be sufficient.

I'd also like to see bulk mail rates go up. Most of what I get in the mail is junk advertising.
Couldn't agree more, the junk mail industry is a huge problem and should be eliminated.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more, the junk mail industry is a huge problem and should be eliminated.
HAHAHA!!! Keep dreamin'!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We are actually going for three days by 2020. 50% of current post offices will be closed by 2016. Dying service? Maybe. Maybe not. I sure do deliver lots and lots of magazines, Netflix, packages, etc. UPS and FedEx are not going to EVER waste money going the "last mile" for rural parcels. Hell, we get tons of their parcels now. And don't get me started on junk mail. No, we will be around for a while longer. Besides, our shipping rates are cheaper. And it's hard to squeeze a parcel through a DSL line.
Hey! How about they teach their employees English!

Teach them "Fragile" doesn't really mean "Football" !

Film EVERY employee and when one throws a package or DRIVES OVER IT FIRE THEM!!!...... I'm thinking of shipping UPS or Fedex , they might not go the last mile but maybe THEY won't break well packed solid metal statues or deliver smashed parcels with TIRE MARKS on them!

Shipping rates are complicated and HIGH....and the PO wants them higher so they figure if they break stuff the shipper will have to make it heavier with more packaging material so they can charge more for shipping!!!!

And , aren'they nice to recommend Insurance.....at EXTRA cost!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 PM

158 posts, read 134,728 times
They should privatize USPS. Like Germany privatized Deutsche Post... and it's working pretty well. Profitable.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
It seems congress can't decide what to do about the about the Post office. Congress wants the post office to be profitable. So, the USPS says they need to close some small post offices. A postal customer hears that the USPS is going to close their neighborhood post office. The customer goes ballistic, calls their congressman and raises hell. The congressman not wanting to lose a vote sees to it that no post offices in his district close. Multiply that by all the congresspersons in the U S and we're back to where we started. If congress wants the USPS to be profitable,they need to let it be run like a business. If they what to make sure their voters are not subject to any hardship ,like having to drive an extra 2 or 3 miles to the next post office, then fund the post office and get off our case.

Oh and the USPS has OVERpaid their two retirement funds, the CSRS by $60 BILLION and the FERS by $7 BILLION. Congress needs to butt the hell out. Besides, they are busy destroying the rest of the country.
Let FedEX buy them for 1 dollar - as someone purchased Newsweek for the same amount not long ago. Have them begin operations for surface mail.

I'd like to see how efficient the mail can be delivered.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'd like to see how efficient the mail can be delivered.
How much more efficient can it get? The USPS reaches every building in the United States six days per week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies