Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 02:51 PM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I've known a lot of guys that have gay sex on the "down low." That's actually a big phenomenon with certain segments.

The thing about homosexuality is that it isn't as black and white as some try to paint it to be. It exists on a spectrum. I've known guys that were as straight acting as can be, but they loved to hook up with effeminate gay men. We know that there are "tops" and "bottoms" in the gay community. It seems obvious to me that many "tops" are turned on by femininity, while "bottoms" are turned by masculinity. I've always questioned how gay "tops" really are.
Pretty freaking gay

Levity aside, I didn't read all the posts on this thread, forgive me if this link is a duplicate. I ask that anyone who believes being gay is a choice watch this clip and come back with the same argument.

This little boy didn't choose to be feminine. Since he is a twin, the answer isn't in his DNA either. When he grows up and is attracted to men, no reasonable person could say it was his choice.

The Science Of Sexual Orientation - CBS News

(CBS) This story originally aired on March 12, 2006.

There are few issues as hotly contested — and as poorly understood — as the question of what makes a person gay or straight. It's not only a political, social, and religious question but also a scientific question, one that might someday have an actual, provable answer.

The handful of scientists who work in this under-funded and politically charged field will tell you: That answer is a long way off. But as Lesley Stahl reports, their efforts are already yielding tantalizing clues. One focus of their research is twins.

The bedrooms of 9-year-old twins Adam and Jared couldn't be more different. Jared's room is decked out with camouflage, airplanes, and military toys, while Adam's room sports a pastel canopy, stuffed animals, and white horses.

When Stahl came for a visit, Jared was eager to show her his G.I. Joe collection. "I have ones that say like Marine and SWAT. And then that's where I keep all the guns for 'em," he explained.

Adam was also proud to show off his toys. "This is one of my dolls. Bratz baby," he said.

Adam wears pinkish-purple nail polish, adorned with stars and diamonds.

Asked if he went to school like that, Adam says, "Uh-huh. I just showed them my nails, and they were like, 'Why did you do that?'"
Check out Public Eye's coverage of the reaction to the story, which includes producer Shari Finkelstein's response to critics, here and here.
Adam's behavior is called childhood gender nonconformity, meaning a child whose interests and behaviors are more typical of the opposite sex. Research shows that kids with extreme gender nonconformity usually grow up to be gay.

Danielle, Adam and Jared's mom, says she began to notice this difference in Adam when he was about 18 months old and began asking for a Barbie doll. Jared, meanwhile, was asking for fire trucks.

Not that much has changed. Jared's favorite game now is Battlefield 2, Special Forces. As for Adam, he says, "It's called Neopets: The Darkest Faerie."

Asked how he would describe himself to a stranger, Jared says, "I'm a kid who likes G.I. Joes and games and TV."

"I would say like a girl," Adam replied to the same question. When asked why he thinks that is, Adam shrugged.

And pulled from the last page of the story:

Then there's the question of how something in the womb could affect one twin but not the other. There are many more questions at this point than answers, but the scientists 60 Minutes spoke to are increasingly convinced that genes, hormones, or both — that something is happening to determine sexual orientation before birth. Adam has come up with his own theory.

"I was supposed to be a girl in my mom's stomach. But my mom wished for all boys. So, I turned into a boy," Adam explained.

Asked if he wished he was a girl, Adam nodded.

"Do you think there was anything that you could have done that would have changed Adam?" Stahl asked Adam and Jared's mom Danielle.

"I could have changed Adam on the outside to where he would have showed me the macho boy that I would want as a boy. But that would not change who he is inside. And I think that would have damaged him a lot more," she said.

Stahl asked both boys if they are proud of the way they are, and both boys gave her big nods.

"Yup," Adam replied.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
oh whatever. I'm not the one that referenced the dog that goes after any other dog he sees.
Well, people are attracted to other people, usually of the opposite sex. There is not much difference to dogs or elephants or whatever. Thus all the affairs and adultery.
As a straight man I also can't understand how any man can be attracted to another man, but I believe gays when they say they are. After all, I can't explain why I am attracted to women, either. That's just the way it is.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:58 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, people are attracted to other people, usually of the opposite sex. There is not much difference to dogs or elephants or whatever. Thus all the affairs and adultery.
As a straight man I also can't understand how any man can be attracted to another man, but I believe gays when they say they are. After all, I can't explain why I am attracted to women, either. That's just the way it is.
this horse died a long time ago.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,355 times
The persons who seem to me very obsessed with other people's sex lives here are actually anti-gay people. Ironic, isn't it?

I agree with the poster who said something to the likes of "this too shall pass". Bigotry and religion (or at least the ones we know now will disappear just as all others before) too. But not in our great-great-great grandhildren's lifetime I'm afraid... But it will. That's called enlightment. But as for bigotry.. well it will attenuate probably, but disappear? There will always be people who need to hate to feet good about themselves. I just think they'll be less and less.

And as for gay rights, they WILL be in our lifetime, at least in the western world. Take that as a promise rather than a prediction ;-)

Last edited by personne; 08-03-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Obviously not

Anyway, what advice would you give homosexuals reading this thread?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I'm not the one making false claims, I'm accused of being ignorant of the FACTS so I make the call, show the FACTS not the theory or opinion because we all have our opinion.
How about actually READING the studies I posted instead of pretending they don't even exist?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:34 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
It will never die out in some places. Some places take their faith seriously and will not allow a TINY Minority who made some BAD CHOICES in their life, to affect their community.

I will make sure I will never have to have the conversation with any of my children I may have, on why the 2 guys across the street are holding hands or kissing.

You have every right to think what you want, you have every right to state and live by your personal morals. You have a right not to associate with people, in private anyway. Just don't cross the line and demand others live by them also and don't try to force or legislate them.

If your neighbor was gay, it wouldn't effect your life personally in any way, and that is the way you should look at it.

On the flip side gays shouldn't bash religious people just because they are religious because some people use it as a guide for their personal life and don't try to push it on others. You may call it a fairytale but there is wisdom that can bring peace and guidance to oneself in the bible.

Oh and by the way, the bill of rights protects the minority from the majority.

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Oh look, nutty religious people. Who cares, homophobia is dying out (along with people who still believe in religious fairy tales). Sure it isn't happening as fast as we'd like, but it is happening.
Oh look someone who thinks an anus is a mangina.

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Hopefully God will give you gay children
Hopefully not. I wouldn't wish that on any child.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I mention my wife. It's normal to be married. But I don't talk about my sex life.
I mention my long term partner at work. It's normal to talk about my partner. But I don't talk about my sex life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies