Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 AM

143 posts, read 122,156 times

Advertisements

I am talking about attempts to undermine the government as an institution, not who currently occupies the White House or Congress. TP'ers can't make that distinction. The equation for the TP is simple: Obama=government=evil, therefore, No government=No Obama=FREEDOM! At least libertarians remain consistent in their distaste of government in all forms long before corporate interests and Fox News came along to subsidize a "grassroots" movement. TP'ers didn't come to the anti-government party until after a certain guy rolled into the WH. The vast majority of Americans aren't big picture thinkers so this BS that they want to control spending doesn't wash. At the end of the day, people want to make sure they have a job, food on the table, and a roof over their head. Things that affect them personally. The uncertainty of today's economic environment has resulted in some serious fear mongering and irrational decision making. We got two ideologies that are sparring for control of the United States' destiny. You TP'ers look like you may get your chance here pretty soon to test your ideology under real world conditions as the Democrats haven't shown to have the ability to turn the ship aright. We'll see how that effects Joe Average right quick. If you win, then great, if you fail, prepare for a harsh lesson in governance from those same American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
I am talking about attempts to undermine the government as an institution, not who currently occupies the White House or Congress. TP'ers can't make that distinction. The equation for the TP is simple: Obama=government=evil, therefore, No government=No Obama=FREEDOM! At least libertarians remain consistent in their distaste of government in all forms long before corporate interests and Fox News came along to subsidize a "grassroots" movement. TP'ers didn't come to the anti-government party until after a certain guy rolled into the WH. The vast majority of Americans aren't big picture thinkers so this BS that they want to control spending doesn't wash. At the end of the day, people want to make sure they have a job, food on the table, and a roof over their head. Things that affect them personally. The uncertainty of today's economic environment has resulted in some serious fear mongering and irrational decision making. We got two ideologies that are sparring for control of the United States' destiny. You TP'ers look like you may get your chance here pretty soon to test your ideology under real world conditions as the Democrats haven't shown to have the ability to turn the ship aright. We'll see how that effects Joe Average right quick. If you win, then great, if you fail, prepare for a harsh lesson in governance from those same American people.
So using YOUR analogy there are a helluva lot of Bush hating traitors in the democrat party right?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
They are doing what their constituents want. Unfortunately, most of their constituents are probably not the sharpest tools in the shed. "Don't ever compromise" is not a good political leadership principle in practice.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Why are they not the "sharpest tools in the shed"? I think the make perfect sense. Debt is the problem, everybody agrees to that, and the solution these fools put up is to pile on more debt. That is the solution from your folks who are "sharper"? It makes absolutely no sense, none!!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
I thought they were voted in for jobs, jobs, jobs. Not deliberately destroying the US and World Economy.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM

No that's what Obama promised with his almost Trillion dollar stimulus spendorama or have you forgotten about that already? Yes I'm sure many have. Just another trillion though. Who's counting anymore right?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM

143 posts, read 122,156 times
Once again, you are tying the man in office is the same as government. I have never felt that Democrats were deliberately trying to deliberately undermine the government as an institution. I never heard Pelosi or Reid make their goal to be to make Bush a one term President, enlighten me if you have. GW Bush, Bush Sr, and Reagan never made a campaign goal to make government small enough to drown in the bathtub as many have signed over in a pledge to a certain unaccountable egghead. There is such a thing as loyal opposition. I have voted Republican all my life and would have considered myself a conservative. That was until the party has been hijacked by a bunch of corporate stooges and faux populist water carriers. I have served this country and I have always been proud of it until seeing a group of mouth breathers hell bent on taking down a a guy that won't be here in 2 years minimum or 6 years maximum just to hold true to an ideological platform that I think will greatly damage us as a nation.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM

You just don't get it. Piling more debt on top of debt that is the "problem" as they all see it is not going to fix ANYTHING. The only plan these fools can come up with is to spend MORE which is what is damaging us as a nation NOW not six years down the road or two years down the road. Hell six years down the road at this rate we'll be well into 20-25 trillion in debt. Oh but the "plan" calls for a trillion in cuts over ten years or whatever ridiculous number they come up with. That will help us how? Default is not the albatross they are painting it out to be.

As for Pelosi and Reid on Bush I say go look it up yourself. If your that blind to think they weren't in full attack mode on him the day he took the oath then I don't know what you were watching those eight years.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:02 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
For once we have politicians actually standing by what they campaigned for and doing what the people who elected them want to be done. What do they get for it? Lambasted by both the Democrats and now Republicans because they won't lay over and sign off on this BS mess that is being offered up. So for not joining the fools running our country I say kudos to them. Keep up the good job. Anytime you get both sides (well they're one in the same actually) squealing at you means your not doing THEIR bidding but the bidding of the people. Odd isn't it they're actually doing what they're supposed to and that just makes no sense at all to those in power.
I agree. Think of what Obama ran on, and now look at where we are:
  • One additional war (Libya)
  • Greatest polarization politically since the Civil War
  • Failed neo-Keynesian stimulus
  • Corporatism
  • Still in Iraq/Afghanistan
  • Bush tax cuts continued

Old 07-29-2011, 11:02 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
They are doing what their constituents want. Unfortunately, most of their constituents are probably not the sharpest tools in the shed. "Don't ever compromise" is not a good political leadership principle in practice.
Many polls have shown that Tea Party supporters are better educated than the average population. Compromising isn't always a good idea, we need real changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies