Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

It's a slow day on the Senate phone lines because I was able to get through to both of my Senators offices and Harry Reid's office on the first try. I expressed my anger and frustration on their unwilliness to take CC&B off the table. Those who want to see us actually CUT Spending and keep the AAA credit rating while making the compromise to raise this debt ceiling in order to take away Progressive power through lies, please do the same.

Personally I like Ron Paul's approach better but CC&B does everthing that needs to be done.
Light up those phone lines people! U.S. Senate: Senators Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Compromise - a settlement of differences by mutual concessions

With the definition out of the way, it would be great if TPers and Republicans would raise taxes some and cut a lot of spending. That would be a compromise for both sides. Tax increases would be a compromise for TPers and Republicans. Cutting funds from social programs would be a compromise for Democrats. Democrats are willing to cut funds for social programs (which is the beginning of a compromise as I'm sure there is more that can be cut). Republicans and TPers should stop being so stubborn and agree to increase taxes a bit. That would be a true compromise. This is from someone who is neither a D or R or TPer BTW.
At this point allowing the current situation to continue in any way is not a compromise I'm willing to support. Any increase in revenue will be met by increases in spending, that's how things work in DC and it needs to change. There's no better time than now, I don't care if we have to shut the entire government down to prove just how addicted some people are to gov. programs. We've pushed this off long enough, it's time to fix the problem.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
The Tea Party is the best thing to happen to the Democrats in years, they are destroying the GOP from within and making the Dems look better and better by the day, before the TP'ers are done one won't say the words Tea Party without spitting. Enjoy your games Tea Baggers, you are commiting political suicide and even though you are too stupid to realize it yet the voters and the GOP will be informing you soon enough.
Casper

Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Compromise - a settlement of differences by mutual concessions

With the definition out of the way, it would be great if TPers and Republicans would raise taxes some and cut a lot of spending. That would be a compromise for both sides. Tax increases would be a compromise for TPers and Republicans. Cutting funds from social programs would be a compromise for Democrats. Democrats are willing to cut funds for social programs (which is the beginning of a compromise as I'm sure there is more that can be cut). Republicans and TPers should stop being so stubborn and agree to increase taxes a bit. That would be a true compromise. This is from someone who is neither a D or R or TPer BTW.
When only the House is suggesting anything how do you do a compromise? The Senate is run by an old man who just doesn't care about the nation, just keeping his job. He declares everything the House sends him DOA and the Senate doesn't even debate on the proposed bill.

Yesterday I heard Rand Paul talking about the way the Senate operates today and how he was taught in school it operated. He said there has been so little of what he was taught since he got to Washington and of course Dirty Harry is the cause of it all.

Paul spoke about how bills were proposed by Senators, given a number, assigned to a committee where it had hearings of the public variety, then might be moved onto the floor of the most deliberative body in the world for deliberation. Finally, a vote was taken and the bill sent to the House for its consideration of much the same kind as the Senate did. He says his committees just haven't had any meetings over any of the big news items.

I remember having to listen to Chuck U. Schumer and that old fart Leahy talk about Bush at all their committee meetings and since the new Congress got started it seems they just do what Dirty Harry allows which is very little. What has been proposed by the Senate about this debt problem? One bill and it is Reid's, drawn up in secret like the Stimulus Law and Obamacare were with no discussion by any party.

Reid finally saw Boehner caving enough to try to replace C, C, and B with his bill, that was drawn up in secret, also, so he jumped in there to give something to compromise with. A bill drawn up by the heads of the two houses without much input by the other members is to be compromised on? Jeez, what is compromise? You failed since you didn't talk about what is really going on.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
I am well aware of how our government works and thanks for the civics lesson , but right now it is political environment of ideology over country and that is what I don't like. I can't change it, but I will express my concerns of where I think we are headed. I am loyal to the United States-not Boehner, not Obama, not Pelosi, not Ron Paul. We as a nation are hopelessly polarized and I fear its going to cost us more than any of us will imagine.
The ideology of not spending money one does not have, is
a pretty strong one.

I don't know where we as regular folks
have gotten to a place anyways, where it is simply
acceptable for a government to spend money it doesn't have,
engage in wars without declaration or war tax,
and simply think they can raise a debt ceiling,
continue to borrow for wars of choice,
give free money to foreign nations, etc.

Congress is acting as if they are on vacation and drunk, playing a backwards game of limbo.
I know the one not drinking is always a drag at the party, but isn't nice to know there's a designated driver
So, I'm kinda impressed that these newly elected folks have fortitude and conviction -
something so lacking in today's Congress.

But, what I am not impressed with, is the fact that
Medicare and Social Security has become the political
scapegoats for BOTH PARTIES, when indeed it is our militarism
that is the elephant in the room -
not like everyone doesn't know its there.

It just burns me that we have a 2011 Defense budget
of over 500B and an additional 120B plus for other
operations, not to mention Homeland Security, State
Department, CIA, interest on past wars, etc.
all of which budgets are tied to this continued
perpetual war mentality at our citizen's expense.
That is what will break the proverbial camel's back -
and we as a country will have absolutely nothing
to show for it,
except 2M plus more veterans, with many requiring
expensive health care the rest of their life,
after being maimed in senseless wars of choice.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I hate to break it to you, but just because you are elected by constituents doesn't mean you no longer have a duty to those who didn't elect you. They are representing the entire United States - not just the right wing conservative fringe population who put them into office.

Why would having such a poorly educated, conservative group representing the US in front of the rest of the world make me proud? These are people who believe the earth is 6000 years old, and the government should legislate morality based on the conservative Christian cultural model. This whole fiasco, especially the attitude of the conservatives, makes me absolutely embarrassed to be an American.

The United States is no longer the best country in the world. It arguably hasn't been for some time.
Tell that to the representatives that passed Obamacare. We were told "we won, you lost", and "get in the back of the car".

As for uneducated and ignorant, you may want to look in the mirror. Not all conservatives are religious. But we are moral. A lesson the libs could stand to learn.

Embarrassed? I'm completely ashamed that progressives are so quick to spend, spend, spend, with no thought of how to pay except to tax us more. As for this "fiasco" - if there was real leadership in the WH, and the Dems that had control these past few years hadn't run up the tab, without a budget of their own AT ALL, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

It's called an intervention. Time to put down the drugs, realize you're way of life is destructive and make something of yourself.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
They are not doing the American peoples will. They are doing the TP ideological platform period. The traitorous attempts of these people to undermine, weaken, and overthrow the United States government may come to bite them fiercely, unless there is another season of Jersey Shore or Real Housewives, then meh...do what you want.
Ummm, they are doing the people's will!!! Duh, they got voted in because they said that this is what they would do. And they are doing it. I just wish Obama would do the will of the people....

Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The Tea Party is the best thing to happen to the Democrats in years, they are destroying the GOP from within and making the Dems look better and better by the day, before the TP'ers are done one won't say the words Tea Party without spitting. Enjoy your games Tea Baggers, you are commiting political suicide and even though you are too stupid to realize it yet the voters and the GOP will be informing you soon enough.
Casper
I am a member of the Republican Party and even a leader in my congressional district and am not a member of the Tea Party but I am one of the voters you seem to think that will be after them soon. What have they done that I should be so unhappy with? Pushed for a balanced budget amendment? Helped pass the only budget bill since 2009? Tried to hold up the debt ceiling unless they can get Cut, Cap and Balance?

You tell me which of these things is so bad. I know that you get your talking points from someone, other than yourself, but I just don't see anything they have done to push us to default or anything else so bad. Yep, they have continued to talk about spending less and not been for raising income taxes on the middle and upper classes but just don't see anything but talk about talking points from you lefties.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Tell that to the representatives that passed Obamacare. We were told "we won, you lost", and "get in the back of the car".

As for uneducated and ignorant, you may want to look in the mirror. Not all conservatives are religious. But we are moral. A lesson the libs could stand to learn.

Embarrassed? I'm completely ashamed that progressives are so quick to spend, spend, spend, with no thought of how to pay except to tax us more. As for this "fiasco" - if there was real leadership in the WH, and the Dems that had control these past few years hadn't run up the tab, without a budget of their own AT ALL, we wouldn't even be discussing this.

It's called an intervention. Time to put down the drugs, realize you're way of life is destructive and make something of yourself.
Amen!
They blamed Bush when he was in charge, and when the Dems had total and complete power, they still blamed Bush. Now that the R's have a tiny bit of control, they still blame the Republicans. They should be embarrassed about being a liberal American, not of just being American.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:17 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am a member of the Republican Party and even a leader in my congressional district and am not a member of the Tea Party but I am one of the voters you seem to think that will be after them soon. What have they done that I should be so unhappy with? Pushed for a balanced budget amendment? Helped pass the only budget bill since 2009? Tried to hold up the debt ceiling unless they can get Cut, Cap and Balance?
Casper in Dallas probably meant the GOP RINO establishment types like McCain the Hobbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies