Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times

Advertisements

Wake up GOP: Smashing system doesn't fix it - CNN.com

Editor's note: David Frum writes a weekly column for CNN.com. A special assistant to President George W. Bush from 2001 to 2002, he is the author of six books

'm a Republican. Always have been. I believe in free markets, low taxes, reasonable regulation and limited government. But as I look back at the weeks of rancor leading up to Sunday night's last-minute budget deal, I see some things I don't believe in:

Forcing the United States to the verge of default.

Shrugging off the needs and concerns of millions of unemployed.

Protecting every single loophole, giveaway and boondoggle in the tax code as a matter of fundamental conservative principle.

Massive government budget cuts in the midst of the worst recession since World War II.

I am not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
History has shown that bubbles burst, depressions happen and eventually the system recovers ON IT"S OWN.

But we seem to think we can do it differently..take on more debt, buy more with money we don't have and some type of magic is going to happen to make this fixed.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
How about this compromise? Raise the debt level to whatever the GoDvernment wants and allow the people to decide whether they wish to be slaves to this debt (government's lowly human capital) or be free human beings. How human beings became liable for the "debts" of the fictional entity of "government" is horrific. If I did not cause a specific "cost" I should not be liable for the "debt" created to pay for it. Otherwise, I am just a slave and victim to the whims of others.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
The ebb and flow of economics will not allow for a depressionless/recessionless existence. Default by the government has happened twice already with our government (and plenty with other govs). It is not the end of the world, life goes on and so does the economy. CNN, Fox, MSNBC, the White House, and both the Democratic & Republican parties have scared everyone into a doomsday scenario and everyone got scared and chose the blue pill. We get what we deserve and this is it.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
History has shown that bubbles burst, depressions happen and eventually the system recovers ON IT"S OWN.

But we seem to think we can do it differently..take on more debt, buy more with money we don't have and some type of magic is going to happen to make this fixed.
Well I do think that we can make the recovery much less painful (for main street). We can't pretend that a bubble wasn't a bubble and that the "money" made on it was real and that we could keep it. What we can do retroactively is turn a bubble into inflation and that is far faster to get over than a deflationary bubble pop is.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
I wouldn't expect a DC insider to have any idea of the concept the typical citizen has regarding Congressional abuse of the system.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
You really want to save this current process of Government spending?

I say break it, throw it out and replace it.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
How about this compromise? Raise the debt level to whatever the GoDvernment wants and allow the people to decide whether they wish to be slaves to this debt (government's lowly human capital) or be free human beings. How human beings became liable for the "debts" of the fictional entity of "government" is horrific. If I did not cause a specific "cost" I should not be liable for the "debt" created to pay for it. Otherwise, I am just a slave and victim to the whims of others.
Well only 51% of Americans pay Federal Income Tax.
That half of America is carrying the burden for all the services to all the people plus taking on future debt with no choice.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
Quote:
That half of America is carrying the burden for all the services to all the people plus taking on future debt with no choice.
EVERYONE is a helpless slave to a fiat currency system and the perpetual and insidious "debt", "interest", and devaluation arbitrarily induced by those in power. But I know that you are well aware of that from the past.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,937 times
Quote:
Don't forget the payroll tax. It covers the other 1/2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies