Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,770,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
What most of the "Why Should We Give Grants For Colege?" people miss is that in most cases having a college education significantly increases a person's opportunity to have a better income. A person that can make more money BENEFITS SOCIETY, they are much less likely to need social services, and with their addtional income THEY PAY MORE TAXES. The addtional income also results in ADDITIONAL CONSUMPTION which BENEFITS THE ECONOMY.

The pluses of having an educated society far outweigh the disadvantages which is why most developed countries around the world either assist students with college tuition or in some cases pay it outright.
The USA has a huge population. We only have finite resources. We must wisely use those resources.

And yes, we do. There is public school system in the USA. But people need to help themselves. Look at the District of Columbia school system. That system is a failure. Millions of dollars are poured into that system each year and it doesn't do jack. In fact, per pupil, DC school kids have access to the most public money.

So do you keep on pouring more and more money into a system that's a failure?

Also take that developed countries like Canada, you must pass certain tests to advance in school. Those who can't have to go the vocation route. So other developed countries cut off their finite resources when it comes to education. They aren't willing to give a "free ride" to those who unfortunately aren't either motivated or unable to pass certain tests to advance.

I had zero help going through college. I worked 20 hours a week. I took out loans. I owed more than 100K in school loans and still paying it off after all these years. It teaches you responsibility when you take out loans and cannot default on those loans.

What responsibility will a poor kid who wants to slack off in college have if he/she knows they don't suffer any consequences of dropping out when their education is free? We can only support the system so much with our limited Pell Grant money. It should be only to the most needy AND talented poor kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,428,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Believe it or not that is a big selling point used by the military for joining up.
GI Bill, VA mortgage, etc. are used by recruiters for both active duty and reserve duty recruitment.
Yes, living off the govt. teat for the rest of one's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sign your life away? There are some of us who consider military service an honorable pursuit.

My hubby received a direct commission in the Army Medical Services Corp (Viet Nam). My dad was a Marine (Korea) who used the GI bill to finance his undergrad degree.

Your attitude is insulting, sir. God bless those who choose to serve all of us by choosing voluntary service in the military.
Well, in some cases you DO sign your life away. With these constant wars, people DO get killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Why does everybody assume College is the pathway to prosperity? Most people I know who went to college are saddled with a huge studen loan debt and are making not much more than their GED friends. College and the student loan system is just another way for Washington to tap into our wealth.
Not the topic of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm living proof of it. My $5k student loan went for my last year of college. That was 14 credits one semester and 15 the next. That paid all of tuition and fees plus books, plus I got a refund check both semesters for like $700. So, it's less than $20k actually. Note that I was taking mostly online classes, which entail an extra fee per credit hour, and also taking classes that had lab fees. Like I said, I don't know what schools y'all are going to but getting a 4 year education for about $20k is definitely doable.
It depends, it depends, it depends. The cheapest school in the Denver area is Metro State College, and you could barely do four years there for $20K, just for tuition, if you were to start right now.

Cost & Financial Aid | Prospective Student Information | About | Metro State (http://www.mscd.edu/prospective/cost/ - broken link)

Then there are books, lab fees, supplies and all the other that goes with going to college. Most people in the Denver metro could probably go to Metro and live at home, but if you're living somewhere for free, that's financial aid, too.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,188,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If the government defaults, many students would have to leave school because the government would stop giving loans and grants. Do Republicans care?
I care and when I went to college I was a Republican. That is, there wasn't a Libertarian option at that time.

So I went to a local college, I worked and paid my own way. Had to take at least 12 hours as at that time the draft was breathing down the backs of any living male, 18 or over... Viet Nam.

At the time you could buy a new, shiny Olds Cutlass for 2500 bucks, or less. For college I paid 40 bucks a semester hour. There were no junior colleges or state schools in the area.

So, I care but I believe a large percentage of college students are going to have to scale down their plans. Unless of course their plans mean to result in a kiss a$$ kind of job, in which case... they know what they need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies