Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Better yet, how can poor people get a college education WITH Pell grants?
that was my situation, I went to a no name school and even with the max you can get through a pell grant I had a hard time coming up with money. I went into massive debt with loans AND I worked all through college. I'll be paying off my loans for the next 20 years and I'm only 3 years out of college. Maybe if they paid teachers more I could get out of debt but education seems to be the first to go through any budget cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:46 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
Community college made it a lot easier in the pockets for me. A lot of people knock down community colleges but hey the one I attended saved me/parents A LOT of money. If you don't have enough money to attend a university go to a COMMUNITY COLLEGE , apply for grants, loans and use them wisely..having a part time or a full time job would help tremoundsly as well. Again this may not work for you but it worked for me..SAVE SAVE AND SAVE! Then when your time has come transfer to a university.

List of Cheap Universities in the USA | eHow.com

Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I have a lot more than a clue about being poor enough for Pell grants because I qualified for them the entire time I was in college, I never applied for them because I wanted to do things on my own and I did just fine. I grew up poorer than poor, put myself through college without the help of the government and did it all with only borrowing $400 from a family member one semester to buy books which I paid back in 2 months.

I haven't been in college in a few years but I remember those students who were getting tons of federal aid and grants, they also had plenty free time, you would see them heavily involved in social and activist groups around campus and they always had poor things like nice shoes, Starbucks coffee and a nice place to live.

I'm guessing these days that they would be the same students who man tables to get people to register to vote while playing angry birds on their iPhone and have flat screens in their dorm rooms.
You are to be commended for what you did. However, you have no idea what college life is like now if you think the above.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
just because you didnt have the fortitude, or the time management skills, doesnt mean that others of us didnt also have those skills.
Frankly, I didn't believe the post under discussion, either. You know, the one where the guy took 15 credit hours, did 20 hours of unpain internship and worked 32 hours a week? For one thing, I'd be willing to believe the internship gave him at least 5 credit hours. Secondly, the numbers do not add up. 15 hours of class time means 45 hours altogether of school work, then 52 more of job and internship take up 97 hours of the week. That leaves 73 hours, 56 of which are spent sleeping, leaving 17 hours for everything else one has to do including get to these jobs/internships? I. . . don't. . . think. . . so. That's barely time to eat 21 meals a week!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:50 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Point #2: The thread is about poor people; paying one's own way entirely is not possible in those circumstances. My community college charges $105/credit. ONE 3 credit course costs $115.
Excuses, excuses. There are tons of ways to pay for college as has been pointed out in this thread. If the poor can't figure it out, it's not my problem to be quite honest.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Do you have a clue what the definition of "poor" is to receive a Pell grant?

Pell Grant Qualifications | The Federal Pell Grant Qualifications

The Pell Grant is designed for students that come from lower-income families who may have a considerable difficulty paying anything towards their child’s college education, and thus display a very high financial need for additional funding to attend college.

the majority of students that receive Pell Grants have families who make around 30,000 dollars per year or lower.

Need isn’t the only qualifying factor that you must be aware of though, as there are a whole variety of less of important Pell Grant qualifications that you must have on your radar if you want to avoid any sort of difficulty while applying for the grant.

That's my allowable three sentences. You'll have to read it for the rest of the qualifications. Basically, you have to be enrolled in a four year college and pursuing a bachelor's degree, and making adequate progress.

Please note the thread is NOT about student loans.
Two people in my massage program had Pell grants. One was a lady in her 50s with children who had grown. She lived a normal life, she was not poor. She just didn't have many bills to pay so she didn't need a lot of income. Therefore, she was eligible for a Pell grant. I don't know the other girl's situation. My BIL was living with one of his sisters and he got a Pell grant. This family makes more than $30k but b/c he's under 24 or whatever the age is, they went off his mother's income, which was zero at the time b/c she was very sick in the hospital. He had not been living with her for some time before she got sick.

So just b/c you qualify for a Pell grant doesn't mean you're ***** poor.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

throwing money at education doesnt mean that it gets any better, in fact it usually gets worse. the education system in this country was at one time the best in the world by far, today however we have lost that huge lead. the difference? all the money being thrown at our education at all levels, and then because the federal government is the one pumping the money in, they think they are the ones that can set the curriculum. unfortunately they add rubbish social engineering programs into the system, as well as tons of extra paperwork, and all it does is make the system more expensive.

get government out of education, and the tuition rates will come down.
Excellent post, can't rep you again.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Community college made it a lot easier in the pockets for me. A lot of people knock down community colleges but hey the one I attended saved me/parents A LOT of money. If you don't have enough money to attend a university go to a COMMUNITY COLLEGE , apply for grants, loans and use them wisely..having a part time or a full time job would help tremoundsly as well. Again this may not work for you but it worked for me..SAVE SAVE AND SAVE! Then when your time has come transfer to a university.

List of Cheap Universities in the USA | eHow.com
I agree. My eldest went directly to a State University away from home but my youngest is living home and going to CC first. It's the best thing for students who aren't quite sure what they want to do yet and also good for those with a specific transfer goal. It's often easier to get into the more prestigious State Universities as a junior transfer than it is as an incoming freshman.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Excuses, excuses. There are tons of ways to pay for college as has been pointed out in this thread. If the poor can't figure it out, it's not my problem to be quite honest.
Most of those "tons" have been thorougly debunked. There is NOT a ton of scholarship money going begging. I have posted links on this before; go over to the ed forum and search for "financial aid" and you will find links to financial aid sites that tell you as much.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
You are to be commended for what you did. However, you have no idea what college life is like now if you think the above.
Of course I have an idea, I do work at a local college and I have a sister in college who lives with me. Don't give me that crap like I don't understand, I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies