Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Our country went downhill fast when Affirmative Action was passed.
Affirmative Action dropped more minorities out of college than ever would have happened without government interference.
Then the minimum wage wiped out opportunity for those with no skills to be trained on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Like most Americans, I'm not as well off $, as I was last summer, thanks, in part to gas prices....Libya and supply and demand and shortages?

High oil, gas prices lift Chevron 2Q profit 43 pct - Business wire - bellinghamherald.com (http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/07/29/2121332/chevron-2q-profit-jumps-43-percent.html - broken link)

While I like Obama overall, this proves, sadly, that maybe both adminstrations were/are in bed with big oil...? While Bush had the connections, that likely big time contributed to the prices this high.....Obama's acting like the parent who tells the kids to clean the room, kids refuse to do it and keep on making it a pig stuy, while the parent (in this case Obama) does nothing with teeth to make the kids clean their room.
Obama is an improvement over Bush, but, doesn't even hold a candle to Bill Clinton.
If the government didn't cause so much inflation, oil is very affordable.

Thank gods that the USD is the world reverses, if not, we would be paying $10/gallon if not more.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Gas here in England is $9 a gallon. Does'nt stop people driving. They complain for
a while each time it goes up, but the roads are full of cars. Gas here has always been
taxed heavily, so we're used to it. Somethings got to pay for the NHS!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:45 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
$5.25 two blocks away, but I live in the People's Republic of California.
We've been declining under a Democrat Legislature for decades.
It is only $3.61 and I also live in California.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM

216 posts, read 57,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig29 View Post
Would the American public still call the oil giants greedy if they shared their profits with them.
The good thing is that Americans realise that boycotting and going against the giants to lower their prices would be a waste of time. Your just going to have to go along and pay whatever forecourt prices are. Either that or sell your car and get the shuttle to work everyday. Americans have to break their dependence of foreign oil. Band together, petition for American oil wells to be reopened, like they were years ago (Source: THERE WILL BE BLOOD movie).

Old 07-30-2011, 03:33 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Ok what do you say we do about it? seriously i am ready, had enough from both greedy sides.

Could it have been manipulation to get the population to this point for a purpose?

Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 PM

216 posts, read 57,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Could it have been manipulation to get the population to this point for a purpose?
Absolutely, as a Brit I feel the same has happened in my country. Its like, all of a sudden, the government doesn't want the working class to have any money.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Gasonline is $3.65 a gallon here in LA, but the fact that Obama & his henchmen at the EPA & elsewhere have put the overwhelming majority of evergy exploration in North American on lockdown certainly hasn't helped either.

Democrats and their environmental fanatics have certainly helped destroy the standard of living of the middle class throughout California via nonstop screaming about 'open space' & 'slow growth', policies which when combined with banning oil exploration from coast to coast, another job-killing policy that Democrats are totally responsible for, have sent prices for everything into the stratosphere as a result.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 PM

Not to mention screwing the Farmer's (water) and hurting food supply at the same time, as well as the reflected price of same due to that.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Gas here in England is $9 a gallon. Does'nt stop people driving. They complain for
a while each time it goes up, but the roads are full of cars. Gas here has always been
taxed heavily, so we're used to it. Somethings got to pay for the NHS!!!

No kidding, can't tell you how many times I see Canadians say elsewhere that their healthcare is free.

Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies