Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
But a $20million/month payment to some oil company where the CEO makes $50million/yr, the stock price has plummeted, the company has raised the cost of gas by $.65/gal...is considred a 'free-market', 'smart business decision'....???
Firstly the subsidies you are talking about are to insure small drilling companies do not get run over by behemoths like Exxon. Removal of them will have no effect on "big oil" except getting some of the competition out of the way.

Secondly companies like Exxon have not raised the cost of gasoline 65 cents, they don't make 65 cents on gallon even with the increases. You will however be paying that much in taxes in some states like California.

Lastly I'm all for elimination of tax breaks/loopholes via removal of corporate/business taxes. The taxes business pay were collected from consumers, they are just the tax collector. That tax is hidden in the cost of products you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 AM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly the subsidies you are talking about are to insure small drilling companies do not get run over by behemoths like Exxon. Removal of them will have no effect on "big oil" except getting some of the competition out of the way.

Secondly companies like Exxon have not raised the cost of gasoline 65 cents, they don't make 65 cents on gallon even with the increases. You will however be paying that much in taxes in some states like California.

Lastly I'm all for elimination of tax breaks/loopholes via removal of corporate/business taxes. The taxes business pay were collected from consumers, they are just the tax collector. That tax is hidden in the cost of products you buy.
Stop making sense. The liberals' heads will explode.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Quote:
Also allowing someone to keep their money isn't welfare. Taking my money and giving it to someone else is. Hope this helps.
Ahhh, yeah, ahh, I think what he's talking about is taking your money and giving it to someone else in $200/month increments. By your words, that is welfare. I feel sorry for you if you can't see that. I think someone didn't do well in school.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
And the tax base shrinks again, less revenue, shrinking GDP, growing deficit spending.

Winning the Future the Obama way!

The tax system needs a complete overhaul. A fixed national sales tax sans income and estate taxes. Everyone needs skin in this game so that when they vote themselves other people's money it comes out of their own pockets too.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
I'm seriousely confused...A $200/month prescription payment every month, to Gertrude the 87-yr old w/nothing in life other than her social security payment, is welfare.

But a $20million/month payment to some oil company where the CEO makes $50million/yr, the stock price has plummeted, the company has raised the cost of gas by $.65/gal...is considred a 'free-market', 'smart business decision'....???
It is all part of the con both sides fall for.

The rank and file Right thinks they are supporting free markets when promoting oil companies, the rank and file left assumes that free markets must be bad.

The reality is, you are describing a crony corporatist system that has little to do with free markets.

The more regulations, the less free we become, the more the crony elite gain in power and control at our expense.

Stop being conned.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Stop tinkering and let the natural processes that occur on an everyday basis happen.

Regulations stop that normal evolutionary process.

You traded freedom for security so don't be surprised that you have less freedoms.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Stop tinkering and let the natural processes that occur on an everyday basis happen.

You traded freedom for security so don't be surprised that you have less freedoms.
Subsidizing oil companies is tinkering and is not freedom.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:32 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
I'm seriousely confused...A $200/month prescription payment every month, to Gertrude the 87-yr old w/nothing in life other than her social security payment, is welfare.

This again? Any kind of handout or subsidy is "welfare," whether it's of the type going to the poor or the type going to corporations.

True conservatives (Tea Party members) do not approve of either.

Who said Medicare was welfare, anyway? I think most conservatives recognize the need for it at this point in time. Wanting to reform the system to make it sustainable does not mean we hate old people, as the Dems would have you believe.

Hang on a minute, are you saying a tax break of $20M/month? That's a weird way to put it. Or are you talking about a subsidy? I'm confused now.

Last edited by andrea3821; 07-30-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And the tax base shrinks again, less revenue, shrinking GDP, growing deficit spending.

Winning the Future the Obama way!

The tax system needs a complete overhaul. A fixed national sales tax sans income and estate taxes. Everyone needs skin in this game so that when they vote themselves other people's money it comes out of their own pockets too.
I know you probably don't have the wherewithal to understand this, but you're saying here that you want to raise taxes on half of the population. I thought you were for lower taxes. People who talk out of both of sides of their mouth like that are hypocrites.

Quote:
So regulations that say outlaw monopolies as they distort the capitalist open market system are bad? If they, then you don't have a free market anymore. I'm not sure you thought that statement though. What about regulations that say govern how planes land or say regulations that make US currency the actual currency in the US? Those are regulations.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I know you probably don't have the wherewithal to understand this, but you're saying here that you want to raise taxes on half of the population. I thought you were for lower taxes. People who talk out of both of sides of their mouth like that are hypocrites.
#1 You're being rude, your other post was rude as well.

#2 The half of the population that doesn't current pay taxes are the problem.

Taxes are a necessary evil but the tax rate and the current code that allows for literally half of people eligible to pay taxes to not pay any at all but in many cases get money back out of the system is completely skewed.

If everyone has to pay into the system, everybody has a stake in what happens in this country. Maybe people would stop voting for people b/c of their race or gender (like in 2008) or for the party that continues giving them subsidies of some kind (I'm talking about both sides here). Why is it fair for one person to pay ungodly amounts of taxes while working their butt off while one sits on their butt and pays zero but yet gets all sorts of handouts? These are the half of the country that pays nothing and yet you feel they have equal stake in our country's future?

Quote:
So regulations that say outlaw monopolies as they distort the capitalist open market system are bad? If they, then you don't have a free market anymore. I'm not sure you thought that statement though. What about regulations that say govern how planes land or say regulations that make US currency the actual currency in the US? Those are regulations.
I think you're missing a word in that second sentence. Regulations that outlaw monopolies ARE bad b/c they influence the market in a way they otherwise wouldn't. These regulations are not to do with safety in any way, like regs on how planes land. I don't think there's a "regulation" that makes the dollar our currency, that's just how it has always been and that is accepted by the American people and the world b/c a country has to have some kind of currency to trade with.

Apples and oranges, please try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies