Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And the tax base shrinks again, less revenue, shrinking GDP, growing deficit spending.

Winning the Future the Obama way!

The tax system needs a complete overhaul. A fixed national sales tax sans income and estate taxes. Everyone needs skin in this game so that when they vote themselves other people's money it comes out of their own pockets too.
someday i need to get to mo and have an adult beverage with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It is all part of the con both sides fall for.

The rank and file Right thinks they are supporting free markets when promoting oil companies, the rank and file left assumes that free markets must be bad.

The reality is, you are describing a crony corporatist system that has little to do with free markets.

The more regulations, the less free we become, the more the crony elite gain in power and control at our expense.

Stop being conned.
this is one thing i keep harping on, that we need to eliminate excessive regulations if we are to get this economy growing again, and get good paying manufacturing jobs back. we also need to reign in the unions and the silly work rules they put in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I know you probably don't have the wherewithal to understand this, but you're saying here that you want to raise taxes on half of the population. I thought you were for lower taxes. People who talk out of both of sides of their mouth like that are hypocrites.
we are for fair taxes. what you are forgetting is that she wants the elimination of income taxes, fica taxes, excise taxes, estate taxes, etc. get rid of all those taxes, and institute a federal sales tax so that when someone buys something, they pay a tax. if they dont buy something, they pay NO tax. if you go out and buy a cheap $500 tv set, you pay far less than someone that buys a $2,000 tv set.

Quote:
So regulations that say outlaw monopolies as they distort the capitalist open market system are bad? If they, then you don't have a free market anymore. I'm not sure you thought that statement though. What about regulations that say govern how planes land or say regulations that make US currency the actual currency in the US? Those are regulations.
we are not talking about eliminating ALL regulations, that would be stupid and you know it. what we are talking about is eliminating EXCESSIVE regulations. why should a business have to comply with four different regulations that all have the same goal but achieve them in different ways? remember that every regulation you put on a business, the more it costs the business to comply with that regulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is one thing i keep harping on, that we need to eliminate excessive regulations if we are to get this economy growing again, and get good paying manufacturing jobs back. we also need to reign in the unions and the silly work rules they put in place.
If we don't put the risk back on the corporations we would still be screwed. My point is regulations don't work, what is needed is an INCREASE in liability to corporations and executives.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I know you probably don't have the wherewithal to understand this, but you're saying here that you want to raise taxes on half of the population.
Do you think a company differentiates between paying taxes or paying the light bill? They are both expenses reflected in the cost of the product.

If the tax expense to a businaess is eliminated the cost of the product comes down, the consumer pays less to buy things. The lost tax revenue is shifted to a sales tax which is now exposed to the consumer as a tax instead of hidden in the cost of the product.

There is also other benefits to this such as lower costs goods which will be very competitive on the world market.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
#2 The half of the population that doesn't current pay taxes are the problem.
Actually they pay taxes every time they buy something and I'm not referring to the sales tax, they just never see them itemized as tax.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Actually they pay taxes every time they buy something and I'm not referring to the sales tax, they just never see them itemized as tax.

I think she is talking about FIT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies