Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times

Advertisements

I'm seriousely confused...A $200/month prescription payment every month, to Gertrude the 87-yr old w/nothing in life other than her social security payment, is welfare.

But a $20million/month payment to some oil company where the CEO makes $50million/yr, the stock price has plummeted, the company has raised the cost of gas by $.65/gal...is considred a 'free-market', 'smart business decision'....???

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-30-2011 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: flaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
I'm seriousely confused...A $200/month prescription payment every month, to Gertrude the 87-yr old w/nothing in life other than her social security payment, is welfare.

But a $20million/month payment to some oil company where the CEO makes $50million/yr, the stock price has plummeted, the company has raised the cost of gas by $.65/gal...is considred a 'free-market', 'smart business decision'....???
Who said a $200 per month prescription is welfare?

Also allowing someone to keep their money isn't welfare. Taking my money and giving it to someone else is. Hope this helps.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-30-2011 at 05:04 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 08:27 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
I'm seriously confused...A $200/month prescription payment every month, to Gertrude the 87-yr old w/nothing in life other than her social security payment, is welfare.

But a $20million/month payment to some oil company where the CEO makes $50million/yr, the stock price has plummeted, the company has raised the cost of gas by $.65/gal...is considered a 'free-market', 'smart business decision'....???

Don't liberals complain about Bush giving seniors drug coverage under Medicare?

Obamacare seriously undermines the ability of evil corporations to provide superior drug benefits for their retirees for much less than government plans.

"The subsidies were a win-win for retirees and for the government, because the drug benefits provided by most corporations are more generous than those provided by Medicare, but the tax break cost the government just $233, much less than $1,209 it costs Medicare to provide a smaller benefit."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10094...#ixzz1TYLfqUZ6

If we are truly concerned for the elderly, shouldn't we get rid of Obamacare?

I'm not sure what you're referring to by the "$20million/month payment to some oil company".

Do you have a link?

As for the price of gasoline, that fluctuates based on supply vs. demand and the value of the dollars we use to purchase it.

Since the Fed keeps printing worthless paper money and buying government debt, the dollars we have are worth very little and the value is continuing to fall.

If we raise taxes on oil companies, as you desire, won't those oil companies add that cost to the price of gasoline?

Since the federal government makes more profit (taxes) from a gallon of gas that the oil company which produces it and delivers it to conveniently located gas stations, if we seriously want to decrease the cost of a gallon of gas, shouldn't we reduce the taxes on it?

For a long-term solution to the inflated price of gasoline, shouldn't we stop printing money?

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-30-2011 at 05:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:

The government does not subsidize oil companies. This is a media lie. The government does give "tax breaks" to corporations for such things as "capital expenses." All these "subsidies" you are hearing about on the news are actually "tax breaks" for things such as "hiring new workers" or writing off "capital expenses." Every business on the planet does this.

Republicans have an issue with things like extending unemployment benefits past 2 years because it discourages people from finding work. They also take issue with giving money to people who have not earned it or who are too lazy to go work.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-30-2011 at 05:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Default Dem. Congressman admits "if you don't tie our hands we'll keep stealing"

‪Democrat Congressman Tom Perriello Admits Congressional Stealing‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
They're OK because regressives think they're going to be rich one day instead of the dumb trash they are now.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
One needs to look aqt the tax code to see sunsides to mnay compoanies and individualls including homeowners(renters get nothing) and company benefits like insutrnace for some( many get nothig but standard dedcution) and the list goes on and on. The tax code needs to be reformed to evn the playing filed to be based on all compensation and income. That would broaden the tax base ;increase revenues while lowering the rates.Democrats apoose such a fair tax code that depends on income as to what is paid eliminating all the loopholes.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:

I'm am getting to the point that I am really believing all Republicans are just window-lickers that need to be locked up in Sean Hannitys mansion or something...I mean really...how do you people tie your shoes everyday???

Because they're on a mass exodus now. Your ideas tell them to move even faster because you suck and your economy is in shambles.

You should pass Obamacare and see how much faster they can mobilize.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:06 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:

I'm am getting to the point that I am really believing all Republicans are just window-lickers that need to be locked up in Sean Hannitys mansion or something...I mean really...how do you people tie your shoes everyday???
No matter how hard you try, FAR-RIGHT Republicans will never understand. It doesn't matter what you say, what facts you present, they either refuse to listen or go back to the same argument that has been proven wrong in history. I said FAR-RIGHT, moderate Republicans understand during times of war or high debt, tax revenue needs to be increased. Ronald Reagan believed that and every Republican leader before him, especially during times of war. NEVER have we gone to war without increasing tax revenue.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Okay, tax people, in a global economy, and they leave, en mass.

They're already leaving fast enough and you're bitching, without relenting, about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies