Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
There's a right way and a wrong way to do it. There's a responsible and irresponsible way to do it. This is not a black and white, yes we balance or no we don't issue; this is a complex issue that has developed over decades of frankly impeachable neglect. Both parties are responsible to some degree, but there is no question in my mind that the Republicans are more to blame, as they are for the economic situation we're now in. That they not only show no willingness to change direction on the economy but also defy any constructive attempts to change the situation is unconscionable.

As the table below suggests, the facts show, the evidence shows, that Republican presidents are budget busters:

File:US Federal Debt as Percent of GDP by President.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, the debt was once higher after Presidents Roosevelt and Truman, but then again, there was this thing called WWII and the immediate post-war aftermath. Even with social security, if you look at the graph, the Carter presidency was fairly well balanced compared to now. It was Reagan, and a divided congress, who began the runaway budget deficits, which were then pared under Clinton, but then came back under GW Bush. The difference is that the rich no longer pay taxes the way they used to.

The rich can handle a tax hike. Taxes were raised in the 1990s and it actually turned out to be the longest economic growth period in the post WWII era. Liberalnomics may not be perfect, but their better than conservanomics. The evidence cannot be disputed.
Evidence means nothing to those on the right. That's why I call them a cult. Blinding themselves to any facts that disprove their preconcieved ideas. I listen to them in the media. They make a false statement as if it is a fact and then using this wrong fact make their conclusions based on a fallacy. It honestly makes me want to throw my shoe at the TV.

I'm happy that here in Canada they just can't do it. They would be forced to publicly retract false statements and if they persisted in misleading the public they would lose their licence to broadcast. That is the reason that Muddock has no media outlets in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:41 PM

321 posts, read 362,913 times
reid cannot even pass a bill this is sooooo funny

Old 07-30-2011, 07:50 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
reid cannot even pass a bill this is sooooo funny
Funny? grow up...

Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Evidence means nothing to those on the right. That's why I call them a cult. Blinding themselves to any facts that disprove their preconcieved ideas. I listen to them in the media. They make a false statement as if it is a fact and then using this wrong fact make their conclusions based on a fallacy. It honestly makes me want to throw my shoe at the TV.

I'm happy that here in Canada they just can't do it. They would be forced to publicly retract false statements and if they persisted in misleading the public they would lose their licence to broadcast. That is the reason that Muddock has no media outlets in this country.
You're right that they have become a cult. It's true that the left has a political cult as well, but it's not nearly as powerful at the moment as the rightwing one. I didn't know that Canada insists on truth in broadcasting. I think that's a very good policy. It makes me wish we would adopt something similar here.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Funny? grow up...
Does it hit a nerve that when McConnell invited Reid to hold the vote on his bill last night that Reid had to fillibuster his own proposed legislation because it wouldn't pass by 60 votes?

Byt the way, have you seen the Senate pass a budget since Harry Reid has been leading it?

Here is one of those "nutty" Tea Party members on the Senate floor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_68Gj...layer_embedded

Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 PM

321 posts, read 362,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Funny? grow up...
Your party cannot do anything. they are worthless and I find it amusing.

Where is Obama's plan? Oh yeah, he doesn't have one.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
I don't care if the Tea Party excommunicates me. They have strayed far from what Ron Paul has taught on social issues that I never did associate myself with them.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You are mistaken. Those who were elected in 2010 have not yet enacted a budget, and they had absolutely nothing to do with the fiasco last year when a Democrat controlled Congress failed to enact a budget for this fiscal year. Thus far 6 of the 12 appropriation bills have been passed by the House. The House has until September 30th to enact a budget for fiscal year 2012.

Source: Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2012 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

The debt ceiling should not be raised. Raising the debt ceiling is essentially telling the nation, and the world, that it is perfectly acceptable to spend well beyond our means like immature children unable to control our infantile urges.
That would be where big government democrats realized that to carry out their dreams, everything they are about, it requires bankrupting the nation and the only thing they have left is to shrink government.

They don't know what to do because it's the antithesis of their entire being.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
Your party cannot do anything. they are worthless and I find it amusing.

Where is Obama's plan? Oh yeah, he doesn't have one.
It's up to the congress not only to raise the limit but to create a budget also. Why should the president do their work for them? All he would get for it is a kick in the head and he might get that anyway when he unilateraly raises the limit after the country defaults

Last edited by lucknow; 07-30-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't care if the Tea Party excommunicates me. They have strayed far from what Ron Paul has taught on social issues that I never did associate myself with them.
Care to be specific or could it be that you confuse the real Tea Party from the johnny come latelys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies