Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:15 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times

Advertisements

Let the word go forth from Washington! The corporate rulers occupying our nation's capital have declared war on just about every citizen.

The War on You | War Is A Crime .org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Either they were to stupid to know what would happen or they knew exactly what would happen.

I think the latter.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Let the word go forth from Washington! The corporate rulers occupying our nation's capital have declared war on just about every citizen.

Wow. The excreter of this screed, Michael Collins, really believes that a society can function with one out of three adults sitting in a rocking chair? The idea is ridiculous on its face; some adjustments are needed to Social Security.

Can we really afford to take terminal cancer patients out of hospice care to do a hip replacement, three weeks before her funeral, using limited public resources? Some adjustments are needed to Medicare, and they are coming whether under Obamacare, Paul Ryan's proposal, or whatever we end up with as a reform mechanism for Medicare.

The current corporate tax regime punishes American companies for hiring Americans for jobs in America. The Simpson Bowles commission report, and the Gang of Six bipartisan outline, both presented centrist proposals to rationalize corporate taxes so that more tax dollars will actually be collected without pushing jobs overseas. It looks like Obama and Pelosi scuttled this sensible concept in the debt/deficit tantrums.

Those same proposals called for collecting more income taxes to support government programs by taking the garbage out of the tax code, lowering marginal rates--but collecting more dollars. You cannot actually raise revenues by ratcheting up rates on a few at the top: they can change their behavior and plan around punitive rates. It is better to find a way to have them write larger checks to the IRS without distorting the economy.

Those with the "progressive" views of Michael Collins, like the pro-default Tea Partiers, need to be marginalized by the respective parties so that the bipartisan, centrist propositions identified by Simpson Bowles and the Gang of Six can be the framework of sustainable prosperity. Nutjob conspiracy theories are not suitable ingredients for real progress.

I just thought you should know.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:00 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Wow. The excreter of this screed, Michael Collins, really believes that a society can function with one out of three adults sitting in a rocking chair? The idea is ridiculous on its face; some adjustments are needed to Social Security.

Can we really afford to take terminal cancer patients out of hospice care to do a hip replacement, three weeks before her funeral, using limited public resources? Some adjustments are needed to Medicare, and they are coming whether under Obamacare, Paul Ryan's proposal, or whatever we end up with as a reform mechanism for Medicare.

The current corporate tax regime punishes American companies for hiring Americans for jobs in America. The Simpson Bowles commission report, and the Gang of Six bipartisan outline, both presented centrist proposals to rationalize corporate taxes so that more tax dollars will actually be collected without pushing jobs overseas. It looks like Obama and Pelosi scuttled this sensible concept in the debt/deficit tantrums.

Those same proposals called for collecting more income taxes to support government programs by taking the garbage out of the tax code, lowering marginal rates--but collecting more dollars. You cannot actually raise revenues by ratcheting up rates on a few at the top: they can change their behavior and plan around punitive rates. It is better to find a way to have them write larger checks to the IRS without distorting the economy.

Those with the "progressive" views of Michael Collins, like the pro-default Tea Partiers, need to be marginalized by the respective parties so that the bipartisan, centrist propositions identified by Simpson Bowles and the Gang of Six can be the framework of sustainable prosperity. Nutjob conspiracy theories are not suitable ingredients for real progress.

I just thought you should know.

Pro default Tea Partiers?

Have something to back that up, or do we just make things up as suits our fancy?

As for the OP, with US marginal corporate tax rates the second highest in the industrialized world and internationals leaving our shores in droves to avoid them, how many more jobs should go to Mexico, China and elsewhere to sustain these rates?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Sounds about right.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:29 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
It does seem clear that the US has drifted to become an oligarchy, not a democracy. The melodrama of "War On You!" dire warnings strike me as distasteful, but from my perspective that is just how capitalism works (and I am not anti-capitalist!) ... let's face it the rich and powerful want to get richer and more powerful.

We are returning to period of the 1870's, 1880's and 1890's ... when a very small elite lived in fantastic opulent majesty - the Gilded Era, as Mark Twain called it - and the rest of us were poor or working class. "Benefits" and "safety nets" like Social Security, health insurance, Medicare, unemployment compensation, food stamps, etc. are not exactly evaporating (I think the majority of Americans would oppose that) ... but slowly diminishing to the point of being insignificant. These things are being disparaged as "entitlements" - a dirty word to many folks and politicians in this country.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 AM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:

After reading the page linked above, the best part being the smiley-faced soldiers, I must say that anyone depending upon the U.S. Govenment to take care of you anytime within your life for long-term needs should be afraid. Instead of asking what the gov't is going to do for me, I ask what have you done for yourself? The above is just more class warefare, "us vs. them" BS. ...and people say we don't need religion????

Charles Sands

Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Pro default Tea Partiers?

Have something to back that up, or do we just make things up as suits our fancy?

As for the OP, with US marginal corporate tax rates the second highest in the industrialized world and internationals leaving our shores in droves to avoid them, how many more jobs should go to Mexico, China and elsewhere to sustain these rates?
I was referring to the guys who say, "maybe default is OK if it makes us quit spending" or "perhaps default will teach us all a lesson about responsibility" or "I will not vote for an increase in the debt limit until COngress passes a balanced budget amendment." ALL of these statements are tremendously counter-productive to the welfare of the nation. A debtor cannot afford to wreck his credit. Great intentions, disastrous effects.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 AM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It does seem clear that the US has drifted to become an oligarchy, not a democracy. The melodrama of "War On You!" dire warnings strike me as distasteful, but from my perspective that is just how capitalism works (and I am not anti-capitalist!) ... let's face it the rich and powerful want to get richer and more powerful.

We are returning to period of the 1870's, 1880's and 1890's ... when a very small elite lived in fantastic opulent majesty - the Gilded Era, as Mark Twain called it - and the rest of us were poor or working class. "Benefits" and "safety nets" like Social Security, health insurance, Medicare, unemployment compensation, food stamps, etc. are not exactly evaporating (I think the majority of Americans would oppose that) ... but slowly diminishing to the point of being insignificant. These things are being disparaged as "entitlements" - a dirty word to many folks and politicians in this country.
That is because the only thing to which you are entitled in this country are general safety and the OPPORTUNITY for success. We have programs, which shouldn't be federal, that give people assentials like food, clothing, and shelter when bad things happen and this is a good thing. We have an obligation, as people - NOT gov'ts, to take care of those who can't take care of themselves, NOT those who won't.

Charles Sands

Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It's not "capitalism", it's "corporatism".
The small business owners are in the same boat as individuals..both are being screwed.

Who's making out like a bandit via government rules..the big corporates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...S._corporatism
"In the US, corporatism usually refers to the domination of the state by the economy, and the word is derived from "corporations", that is, a pop reference to big business which has enough power and money to challenge the state's political power."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies