Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There was no surplus when Bush took office, the national debt, and the debt ceiling continued to climb during Clinton.

President Clinton announces another record budget surplus - CNN

ummm ok guess everyone else is wrong.

and the money bush threw out in tax credits wasn't from a surplus of income under Clinton. as I said Cognitive dissonance is an amazing thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
President Clinton announces another record budget surplus - CNN

ummm ok guess everyone else is wrong.

and the money bush threw out in tax credits wasn't from a surplus of income under Clinton. as I said Cognitive dissonance is an amazing thing.
Clinton lied because he only counted public debt and ignored intragovernmental holdings..

Why dont you go right to the Treasury Department for verification..
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/r...ebt_histo5.htm

Tell me what year the debt decreased because the national debt climbed $130B in 2000, the very year Clinton claimed there was surplus.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
The RECESSION IS OVER.
0.4% growth is barely above recession indicators. Tell 9.2% of your fellow Americans it's over.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default GOP exposed; President prevails

His progressive agenda weakened by Democrat voter complacency during the Midterm elections, the President had no option but to yield to the demands of the pathetic GOP in order to avoid the greater harm of a default. The GOP already has shown during the Bush years that they are willing to send this country into an economic free-fall if it means that they can spend money overseas nation-building. The GOP has shown that they don't care that the economy suffers an economic disaster if it means that the rich get richer and a Democrat is given the mess when their time is up. It's no surprise then that the GOP was willing to let the economic disaster happen here unless they got many of their demands met. Maybe results of the default-avoiding plan didn't please Dems, but we have to admit: it exposed Republicans as "still more Bush."

Bush Pubs want to cut spending and impose no new taxes, especially for the rich. This strategy certainly didn't help the country under Bush and you can bet it doesn't help the country now. Somehow, this is supposed to help them win back the White House? What they did was shoot themselves in the foot and hopefully arouse the attention of Democrats who abandoned President Obama for the Midterms. It's quite clear that as long as Republicans have a say, the economic condition of this country will be in dire straights. Theirs is a bigoted ideology obsessed with "welfare cheats" and "illegal immigrant moochers." They seek to protect the rich, maximize profits for the rich, deregulate to discriminate and practice racism without scrutiny, cut corners to maximize profits, favor policies that encourage corporate america to displace qualified american workers with foreign labor, and implement policies which tell everyone else to go to hell. The GOP has again been exposed. The greater evil of a default averted.

Compromise favors the Dems here. Pubs have been wrong since 2000 and continue to be so.

Tremendous edge to President Obama.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 08-01-2011 at 01:48 AM..

Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
....ya gotta lay off that pipe, dude...its affecting your sense of reality...

Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Well, I agree with most of your slam of the Republicans/Tea Partiers. I am not sure the Dems are looking so great. They were railroaded by the GOP.

However, I think I do agree that the crazy blackmail by the take no prisoners (ignore the public will) Tea Partiers should energize the democratic base and turn off all but the true believers. They really came across as entirely unreasonable and more than a bit nasty. You would think after the disaster of the Bush years, some introspection is in order. Nope. The same old scorched earth tactic with just a bit of power.

I think I agree that the typical American may be having some "buyers remorse" with the TP. Time will tell.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
A_Lexus....You never come back to defend your assertions. Why should any of us contribute meaningfully to your threads?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
I am a moderate----not a dem and not a repub-----but news flash-----------the President did not prevail.

This circus and carnival ended with the President being painted into a corner and bailing water. This leecherous process was nothing short of disgusting and agonizing. It showed us what the American political process has become-----a losing proposition for the American people.

Deciding a winner and loser in this preposterous scheme is an academic exercise----the only certainty is clearly that the American people are the true victims. If this is what every political negotiation is going to turn into from now on I shudder-----bring on a truly representative third party.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A_Lexus....You never come back to defend your assertions. Why should any of us contribute meaningfully to your threads?
I was thinking exactly the same thing. A good example of a "hit-and-run" poster.
Probably because he/she can't back up the silly claims being made.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I am a moderate----not a dem and not a repub-----but news flash-----------the President did not prevail.

This circus and carnival ended with the President being painted into a corner and bailing water. This leecherous process was nothing short of disgusting and agonizing. It showed us what the American political process has become-----a losing proposition for the American people.

Deciding a winner and loser in this preposterous scheme is an academic exercise----the only certainty is clearly that the American people are the true victims. If this is what every political negotiation is going to turn into from now on I shudder-----bring on a truly representative third party.
Agreed. They made him an offer he could not refuse. Al Capone style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies