Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will doctors be forced to receive Medicare patients as a condition to getting licensed?
Yes 27 54.00%
No 18 36.00%
Pie 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It isn't the patients who are cheapskates,it is the fedgov.
The Fed Govt doesn't control the Insurance companies or Doctors.... maybe if they did, it would not be one of the most expensive health systems in the world

Agreed,cut entitlement where the recipient hasn't paid in...
Or maybe only give the amount of treatment equivalent to what you have put in.... so anyone not putting in $500,000 per year should get basic health care...... Also ridiculous. Love it how low earners who put very very little into the Govt coffers feel they should get the same as people who put huge amounts of tax in..... isn't that also "not paying in"? Where do you equate hardly paying in to paying huge amounts?

If we were all put in labor camps,there would be no unemployment....
I'm sure for many here it is like living in a labor camp. A guy in Florida walked into a bank and passed a note to the teller saying he was armed and robbing the bank... he then sat down and waited for the police to come arrest him.
WHY???? because he had just become ill and the ONLY way he could get treated is by going to Prison......... Good system here huh, where Criminals get health care but honest citizens DON'T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If you don't have insurance, you are basically screwed unless you can pay out of pocket. If you are on Medicare, then you can get treated.

I have a friend who had no insurance, and kept putting off going to the doc b/c she couldn't afford it (she was unemployed). She eventually collapsed and was taken to a hospital ER. She did not qualify for Medicaid b/c she owned a car and a very small home (in need of repair, may I add). She was diagnosed w/ uterine cancer.

She was treated but racked up big hospital and doc bills. She is still out of work but has the hospital and docs hounding her for $$$ - she has worked out "payment plans," but has no more money to pay her utilities, much less a physician. She has used up all her savings and is trying to get a job - any job - despite her frail health.

So there ya go. That is what happens when you do not have insurance, are too young to qualify for Medicare . . . and do not qualify to get Medicaid.
She would have been fine in Michigan.

States vary as to the requirements.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ohhh....well you would go to the hospital most likely,or perhaps a clinic first and then if needed the hospital...

Personally I could count on one hand the number of times I have been to either in my adult years.
You do know that you are not talking sense.
A Hospital will only treat a emergency in the ER and then discharge you and then send you the bill. A Hospital will NOT see you unless you have insurance or cash for lumps, etc etc etc.
Lucky you..... but most Humans do get sick at some point, some sicker than others and NEED treatment.... Not sure how old you are but believe me you WILL need health care as you get older and guess what it might be after you retire or lost your job...you're stuffed then if medicare is ravaged.
So once again...where do you go here for a illness other than a Emergency?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
At least where i live a perosn could go to the local hospital. They are forced by law to stabilise them. Then they are transported to one of the nearby university hospitals if they eed furehter treatemnt or surgery.These are perhaps some of the best hospitals i the state to include the #1 Cancer hospital (MD Anderson.Houston). The same hospital most here go to for cancer treatemnt if they have insurance.Both the unbale to pay and even medicare /medicaid are subsidised by private inured;ask any director of any hospital.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
You do know that you are not talking sense.
A Hospital will only treat a emergency in the ER and then discharge you and then send you the bill. A Hospital will NOT see you unless you have insurance or cash for lumps, etc etc etc.
Lucky you..... but most Humans do get sick at some point, some sicker than others and NEED treatment.... Not sure how old you are but believe me you WILL need health care as you get older and guess what it might be after you retire or lost your job...you're stuffed then if medicare is ravaged.
So once again...where do you go here for a illness other than a Emergency?
In my area we have clinics that charge on a sliding scale.

Sometimes it is free.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In my area we have clinics that charge on a sliding scale.

Sometimes it is free.
So imagine how much better it would be if you could go to a Dr. or Hospital to get treatment without ANY fear of not being treated or going bankrupt or ending up in huge debt...... happens succesfully all over the World.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
So imagine how much better it would be if you could go to a Dr. or Hospital to get treatment without ANY fear of not being treated or going bankrupt or ending up in huge debt...... happens succesfully all over the World.
I come back to the "how would we pay for it" question.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I come back to the "how would we pay for it" question.
By creating a NHS in the USA you would do away with medicare/aid and vc health.
You would probably cut unemployment by 50% or more. SS payments vastly reduced.
NHS Hospitals would allow private companies to use NHS equipment etc and charge them
A small NH Tax would be payed as in the UK.
Non Us Citizens or non legal residents would be charged to use the NHS.
Each State/County would run it's own health authority with health professionals tailoring health to the Community.
No Employers would need to cover employees for Healthcare in their pay package so can pay more yet not have to pay huge insurance premiums and earn more profit. Health and Work would be seperate entities.
The Govt would have a annual budget for healthcare.
If anyone still wants private heath then it will still be available but would not cost anything like the premiums now so, in fact, you can probably get NHS treatment and private cover for less than you pay now and every single Citizen and Legal Resident will get good healthcare

Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
She would have been fine in Michigan.

States vary as to the requirements.
Even Michigan has spend down requirements and an asset test (altho they are probably more lenient than most states). Owning a house, car, some stock and having a savings account (even tho it was rapidly depleted) is most likely gonna put a person over the threshhold in every state. (Maybe not Oregon - not sure what their requirements are now).

Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Even Michigan has spend down requirements and an asset test (altho they are probably more lenient than most states). Owning a house, car, some stock and having a savings account (even tho it was rapidly depleted) is most likely gonna put a person over the threshhold in every state. (Maybe not Oregon - not sure what their requirements are now).
Not sure anifani why there is this inbred dislike for a decent health system in the USA. Some on here would much rather pay through the nose for a extremely expensive, inneficient health service than have a Health System that would be the envy of the World and pay much less for it.
Since i have been in the USA i have made it a point to ask many many people what they want in a health system...... They want a UHC. System.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies