Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a plan to expand the IRS and give the crooks in DC more of our money.
I'll pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no 60k sure isnt rich...then again in the area where I live 300k is not rich either

so again...what is rich
O.K. let's define it as the top 5% of households in each Zip Code. Also let's agree that you qualify automatically at $3,000,000 and above.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sounds like a plan to expand the IRS and give the crooks in DC more of our money.
I'll pass.
With a simple straightforward plan such as this the IRS would be forced to downsize.

Do you have a better one that is FAIRER and SIMPLER?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:47 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
O.K. let's define it as the top 5% of households in each Zip Code. Also let's agree that you qualify automatically at $3,000,000 and above.
Hmm, that would mean if I stayed in current zip code we'd be taxed, but if we move 2 miles west, we wouldn't be taxed. Yes, taxing by zip code is a great plan, buddy......

I'd just toss your "net worth" double/triple/quadruple taxation plan- give me a break, already....IT'S ALREADY BEEN TAXED!!!! - and raise the across the board sales and/or income taxes.

Think you need to go back to the drawing board. A net worth tax is just in your dreams.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Hate the "net worth" tax- that wealth has already been taxed via income taxes, capital gains, etc, so in effect you're trying to tax them TWICE. Plus, when taxed 1% annually, it becomes taxing the SAME wealth a 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc time as the years go by. NO THANK YOU!!!

Also, a lot of net worth is "on paper" only- the market value of a home or stock that hasn't been sold. Many so-called "rich" people ($250k income & up) live in homes they've owned for decades. Maybe the market value (paper net wealth) has increased from $500,000 in 1995 to $800,000 today.....at the rate of an $8,000 net worth tax, in 30-40 years time the government will have taxed 100% of the home's increase in value, completely negating the American "mental value/investment" in real estate. Think that's a good idea? I THINK NOT.

"Net worth" taxes would cause a huge percentage of wealthy Americans to consider turning in their citizenship and leaving the country, probably for pro-wealth/ low tax areas like some of the Carribean islands.
No one is going to pack up and leave the world's greatest nation because they have to pay ONE MEASLY PER CENT.

Remember the wealthy would also pay a greatly REDUCED income tax.

Also, as I've said before, the point of the net worth tax is to appease the left who feel that the rich don't pay their fair share.

If you don't give a little in these sorts of debates then you will never be able to tackle the problem of fast growing debt and deficits.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
With a simple straightforward plan such as this the IRS would be forced to downsize.

If you give the IRS the extra requirement to figure and track net worth, you are living in la la land if you think they won't use it to expand greatly.
How is singling out a class of people because some politically motivated bureaucrats decided they have too much money, "fair"?

Lets skip the schemes for now and figure out ways for our government to operate on less of our money instead working so hard figuring out ways to give it more

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:

You actually think a net worth tax would decrease the IRS size & scope?! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

They'd need to hire a whole department just for your new tax idea to validate the net worth balance sheets being sent in...make sure no wealthy people are leaving off a 3rd home or an off-short account or some of the stocks they hold. That's actually a plan for government job expansion, if anything. Get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Hmm, that would mean if I stayed in current zip code we'd be taxed, but if we move 2 miles west, we wouldn't be taxed. Yes, taxing by zip code is a great plan, buddy......

I'd just toss your "net worth" double/triple/quadruple taxation plan- give me a break, already....IT'S ALREADY BEEN TAXED!!!! - and raise the across the board sales and/or income taxes.

Think you need to go back to the drawing board. A net worth tax is just in your dreams.
So...where is your plan?

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
dont get me wrong...I think the idea has its merits..I only question the vagueness

I would be fine even with 10% across the board income tax and a 5% sales tax(which is double his idea)

but the 'net worth' tax needs to be DEFINED (clarrified)...what is 'net worth'...HOW OFTEN??? what LEVELS does to start or is it ALL levels??? does it include a 'housing' value or is the value of a primary domicile exempt from the worth??
i mean, if it were my decision, it would apply to the full net worth of all individuals, and would probably be a good bit less than 1% per year.

however if you leave it to congress, it would be full of loopholes and exemptions for all sorts of things, and it would end up being a much higher rate for the people who did pay.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
If you think this plan is simple, you are out of your mind. Net worth is very very subjective. I can have a building I think is worth $4M with a cap 10, and you think its worth $4.8M because you look for a cap 8.. I might put a better value on a property because of the AAA credit, you might put less of a value on that tenant. How exactly do you determine "net worth"?
Quote:
So...where is your plan?
There is no need for plans and more taxes. We have a spending problem, and a revenues problem, not a tax problem, and creating more taxes creates even a larger revenue problem and doesnt solve anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies