Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Yes we should all expect our bosses to pay our rent....great idea!
Has nothing to do with this thread, but nice try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
An impropriety you say? Is Joe Biden involved just a teeny bit? Has he never done anything just a bit questionable concerning law and ethics?
I said it *could* be an impropriety should Biden be overcharging for rent. It doesn't seem to be the case. Do we really care who gets the rent money so long as the rent amount is fair market value? I'll answer that question:

No, I don't care and I don't care who does it so long as they aren't overcharging and the price is fair. Even if DICK Cheney did it, I wouldn't give a rat's backside.

You--yes, you care but only because someone you don't like is doing something that you think you can jump on and chew up.

Foolish that I even though anyone would want to discuss all sides of the story.

I'll let you folks go back to your regularly schedule pitbull match. You can throw another puppy in the ring by discussing Michelle Obama's trips.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Even if DICK Cheney did it
Why have someone's first name only in all caps?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You don't need to hit your head. You have been arguing the validity of services above saying that maybe we should charge officials for the service so they wouldn't take trips, etc. As you stated, there is no point in arguing that, it is a done deal. It is mandated so why bring that up.

At any rate, I guess this doesn't bother me. The article I read stated the Biden's annual combined income is around $389,000 per year. Part of that reported income is the rent he can earn from a tenant on that property. I don't see why he should have to forgo the income on that property because he is mandated by law to have SS protection. Heck, even if he voluntarily wanted the service I would feel no differently. They have to rent from someone and it is probably easier on the agents to be as close to their client as possible. It works for them and Biden still gets his rent money. So long as he is not overinflating the rent charge, which he is not as another tenant willingly paid it last year, then there seems to be nothing improper about it.

I can certainly see where an impropriety *could* occur and I would hope that someone is monitoring the rate being charged so that this does not happen.
He should have refused the offer for the simple reason that it just doesn't look good.
At the very most he should simply receive a tax break in lieu of rent. He should not be making a profit.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
He should have refused the offer for the simple reason that it just doesn't look good.
At the very most he should simply receive a tax break in lieu of rent. He should not be making a profit.
But you will agree - it isn't illegal.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I get what others are saying about justifying the payment of rent. But, it is his home, he is being protected and not being charged for that so why not do the honorable thing and not charge rent? It would be more acceptable for the Secret Service to pay Utilities, but it appears that he isn't paying for the house so why make additional income with it? Especially when you are in a recession, it would be the responsible thing to do...but then again, Biden isn't exactly about doing what is right or what looks best for PR. I don't think he should profit off those protecting him and find the practice in poor taste.

In this day and age, our public officials need to be acting more responsibly with our money...that will get you votes.
It's an INCOME property. Biden is not rich. What you are asking is that he should provide lodging at HIS expense to the Secret Service. Ask yourself, does President Bush provide lodging at HIS expense for the detail that guards him? Does Clinton? Does Carter? The answer is no.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's an INCOME property. Biden is not rich. What you are asking is that he should provide lodging at HIS expense to the Secret Service. Ask yourself, does President Bush provide lodging at HIS expense for the detail that guards him? Does Clinton? Does Carter? The answer is no.
No,that is not what folks are saying.

They are not saying Biden should have to pay for his detail. They are saying his detail shouldn't have to pay him rent.

However, seems to me they would be paying SOMEONE rent . . . just turns out Biden had the property available. It might look a little iffy to some folks, but it doesn't seem he is doing anything illegal.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes he is..he makes more than $250K per year.
He's RICH by his own adminstration's definition.

Tax the heck out of him because he's rich.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
I've often wondered how many members of Congress have an ownership position in the buildings they lease for their political office.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No,that is not what folks are saying.

They are not saying Biden should have to pay for his detail. They are saying his detail shouldn't have to pay him rent.

However, seems to me they would be paying SOMEONE rent . . . just turns out Biden had the property available. It might look a little iffy to some folks, but it doesn't seem he is doing anything illegal.
If it's a rental, and Biden cannot collect the rental income, then it's costing him, ie he's paying for it. Did Cheney pay to put up his security detail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies