Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The market is up roughly 50% since he took over as president - how much more do you expect it to skyrocket, and how will that impact jobs, seeing as it has not substantially done so in the last two and a half years?
The Market has almost doubled since the lows of 2009 and the UE rate is down from it's high of 10.2. I am happy with the progress that has been made and look forward to the continued improvement. Now that the wealthy and Wall Street have recovered, I hope Congress will see fit to put as much effort, in doing that for the people still waiting for recovery to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
I can think of a few ideas:
I like your sarcasm, but most of it is just being plain silly, so I'm not going to remark on part one.

Quote:
2. Remove every government program at the federal and state level. You create a situation where the physically disabled, the elderly and mentally ill have to either work or starve to death. C'mon you lazy sacks, take personal responsibility for yourselves and help our wealthiest American get even more rich.

5. Build churches. You can't rely on old Uncle Sam to help pay for retirement or offer assistance when you are down on your luck. You can't rely on the government to help you anymore. Do what Rick Perry and Michelle Bachmann advise our fair citizens: when you are down & out in this economy...go pray in church. Everything will be much better knowing that suffering in this world is all part of God's plan so you could have a plush spot in heaven. Well...I don't know if poor people, liberals and persons of color are eligible for a ticket to heaven. Just sayin.
These two things actually go together. The basic premise behind cutting government funds is that, in the absence of a government welfare system, the people would provide for their own welfare. Most likely it would be a combination of charities providing care for the needy(especially Churches), and people just saving more of their money and placing it in investments and other assets so that they won't starve in the future. It would also help to hold families together if they had to rely on each other more(you can see a sharp drop in divorce rates during recessions).

That welfare programs have done more to push people apart than anything else. They have created a culture of irresponsibility and selfishness. And that we have one of the worst savings rates in the world, as our nation is so far in debt.

I don't know if I would want to cut all services to every single person. But I do know that our welfare system has largely been a failure.

Quote:
3. Abolish the minimum wage and watch those unemployed people find jobs that pay a slave wage. The losers should be lucky to earn $1.00/hour while the poor corporate CEOs have to sweat out of those quarterly profit reports for a few million more in stock options. I can't stand it when working people making low five-figures only think about themselves and not about the struggles of our business executives and hedge fund traders.

4. Make sure that the rich don't pay taxes. Hey...cutting the tax rate and opening loopholes for the wealthiest Americans will spur tremendous job growth. Yeah, that's the ticket, folks! Look at all those jobs that were created since the Bush tax cuts started in 2001 until now. Good thing we didn't have a recession or anything.
The minimum wage is sort of a stupid concept. Because raising the minimum wage does basically nothing in practice. Because as the minimum wage goes up, prices go up, cost of living goes up, and no one at the bottom is really better for it. This country went a very very long time without a minimum wage, and several states have a minimum wage higher than the federal rate.

Look at it like this, lets pretend that we abolished the minimum wage, and all of the sudden people were being paid $1 an hour. That would put a downward pressure on prices for everything that was produced by people making $1 an hour. Over time, this should end up lowering the wages of other industries, as Unions paying their employees $20 an hour would no long be able to compete. This would end up putting a downward pressure on hourly pay for everyone in the entire system, as competition would lower all prices.

You might think to yourself that it would be a terrible thing if wages suddenly dropped for everyone. But what would it really mean? Nothing. Because the price of goods would also fall, so your purchasing power wouldn't really be affected. You might say that businesses would become super wealthy as their costs lowered, but unless they hold some kind of monopoly, their prices and profits would also have to fall. Because they would have to stay competitive.

The current minimum wage is primarily used to manipulate the market, and to inflate the dollar. It is used to try to protect northern Unions from non-union competition in the southern states. It has absolutely nothing to do with creating equality or productivity. And its real effects are to increase unemployment.

Quote:
6. Join the Armed Services. We will let American citizens starve in our cities and in rural communities. But you better keep your hands off our military war machine. We need to kill more brown-skinned people in the Middle East, in Africa and in other parts of the globe because it's good for business. What's good for the military-industrial complex is good for America! Darn tootin'.
I guess I don't know who the tea-partiers actually are. But I know Libertarians absolutely despise our current military-industrial-complex, and would like to largely dismantle it(IE Ron Paul).

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-01-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
These seem to be your personal ideas, but what are the actaul Tea Party elected representatives doing to create jobs? I think that is what the question was aimed at.
Not one of those was an original idea of mine! The elected tea party members can only enter/vote on bills. There are still not enough to swing things their way, only enough to stop some of the nonsense.

The Tea Party campaigned on spending and the constitution. Creating jobs is not the role of government.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Tea Partiers what is your idea for job creation, besides removing the current President?
That would be quite a motivator.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
These seem to be your personal ideas, but what are the actaul Tea Party elected representatives doing to create jobs? I think that is what the question was aimed at.
Well, for starters, they TEA party in the congress passed, and then sent the Cut Cap and Balance bill to the senate. It passed with 234 votes and bipartisan support. The bill is the only one to cut spending deep enough to satisfy the credit bureaus and gets rid of our national debt and balances the budget in 7-8 years. That alone, would strengthen the US dollar, keep interest rates lower, and reduce federal spending.

The Reid plan will add $7-8 trillion more to the current debt over the next 7-8 years, our interest rates will soar, inflation will set in, and we will be much poorer as a nation.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The bill is the only one to cut spending deep enough to satisfy the credit bureaus and gets rid of our national debt and balances the budget in 7-8 years. That alone, would strengthen the US dollar, keep interest rates lower, and reduce federal spending.
If you're looking for a stronger dollar and lower federal expenditure, that's of course not bad. The question was about jobs. (Interest rates are already at rock bottom, and while that should spur on investment, it hasn't.)

Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you're looking for a stronger dollar and lower federal expenditure, that's of course not bad. The question was about jobs. (Interest rates are already at rock bottom, and while that should spur on investment, it hasn't.)
Yeah, I'm not real clear on how a stronger dollar would create jobs.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
That one major step you mention will cause the stockmarket to skyrocket and the jobs will begin to flow like water.
The stock market has been skyrocketing for sometime now. Corporate cash on hand is at record highs... so where are the jobs?

Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Corporate cash on hand is at record highs... so where are the jobs?
China.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That would be quite a motivator.
Ok, now you have removed the president, but there still will be record unemployment and joblessness. So what would be the point? The American people will still be in the same position minus a black president
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies