Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
lol... I was going to say something equally snarky, but decided not to.
Can't find those numbers for me, can you. He/she can't either but used your snarky method of trying to wiggle out of saying I can't find the numbers. I will be glad to discuss it all with you when one of you comes up with the linked numbers for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You know that libs believe in that Robin Hood method of redistribution of wealth and then you act like I was wrong.
I gave MY opinion and I do not represent Libs nor do you represent the righties, well maybe you do since you are active in your Party politics.
Casper

Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Can't find those numbers for me, can you. He/she can't either but used your snarky method of trying to wiggle out of saying I can't find the numbers. I will be glad to discuss it all with you when one of you comes up with the linked numbers for me.
I thought you were talking about the budget of the late 90s, roy. Cross-talk confusion.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I honestly agree that we could probably cut quite a bit--I think we've got some overseas bases that cost a lot of money. In addition to that, imagine what we could do to help the needy if we weren't giving it away in interest payments!
Helping the needy got us into this mess, and today's bill does nothing to address it.

No one is talking about the truly needy. The autistic, downs, major disabled, and others that cannot care for themselves. No one means unemployment and food stamps for a year when things go wrong.

If Grandma can't make it alone, live with family. It was done that way for centuries. You provide her a home, not the taxpayers. I don't see how any decent person would rather have their family member in section 8 or a project.

If your daughter or son has an illegitimate kid, that is their responsibily and their parents. Not the taxpayers. The rate is now over 40%.

If you have children that you cannot afford is it anyones fault other than your own? Foodbanks and private charities are the answer here.

In Youngstown, Ohio they are building new housing projects at well over $100,000 per unit. They are nicer than 99% of the homes in Youngstown. This is not an exaggeration. How could there be an incentive to leave if owning your own home would mean a lesser home.

Headstart, at $9,000+ per kid? Every teacher I know says it is a waste. That is a lot of money to teach them colors and how to stand in line.

Other than temporary assistance, social programs kill initiative and lead to dependency.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
What was the budgeted amount spent the last two years? I can't find a record of it.
The 2001 Budget put 2005 spending at $2.125 T and Revenue at $2.341 T

Citizen's Guide to the Federal Budget: Fiscal Year 2001 (http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy01/guide02.html#Spending - broken link)

Reality was we spent $2.472 and brought in $2.153

Government Spending in United States: Federal State Local 2011 - Charts Tables History

Government Revenue Details: Federal State Local for 2005 - Charts

Spent more than we should have. Income from the $200k plus crowd had just passed what it was in 2000 but with much less high taxed stock option income also.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
They still work for the DOD today, better late than never, I assume you would just continue the same old same waste, silly. We can also close bases all over Europe and Asia, more money saved.
Hey then lets cut off Israel and everyy other country from our world welfare tit and AFTER we are back on our feet on support a select few that actually need it.
Face it you are not interested in ideas to save money, far easier to complain without any ideas.
Casper
Cut aid to the best ally we have outside Australia? That has a really sad sound to it but then you seem to support anything like that that may support the Muslims.

Do you know who would have to take over all the missiles that are in Europe and have been there since the Soviets were a threat? Why it would be France, Italy and some of the Scandanavian nations that are so warlike. Nah, you only hate Israel. I have been for closing all those bases for years. I guess since I was no longer stationed at any of them back in the late 1950s.

I know that you people think that we don't need to try to protect the world from all those who want it to become a one world government, but I can't handle that either.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I thought you were talking about the budget of the late 90s, roy. Cross-talk confusion.
Sorry you missed out since I am sure you are smart enough to know there was no budget last year or the year before and this one, also.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/PDFgate.cgi?WAISdocID=ogbSWi/3/2/0&WAISaction=retrieve

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][LEFT]"Total receipts in 2000 are estimated
to be $1,883.0 billion, an increase of $76.7 billion
or 4.2 percent relative to 1999. This increase is largely
due to assumed increases in incomes resulting from
both real economic growth and inflation. Receipts are
projected to grow at an average annual rate of 3.6[/LEFT]
percent between 2000 and 2004, rising to $2,165.5 billion."
All numbers in 2005 dollars...
Total Federal Tax Revenue, 1998: $2.04T ($1.722T in current dollars)
Total Federal Tax Revenue, 1999: $2.14T ($1.828T in current dollars)
Total Federal Tax Revenue, 2000: $2.31T ($2.025T in current dollars)

Total Federal Tax Revenue, 2001: $2.21T ($1.991T in current dollars)
Total Federal Tax Revenue, 2002: $2.03T
($1.853T in current dollars)
Total Federal Tax Revenue, 2003: $1.90T ($1.782T in current dollars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Income from the $200k plus crowd dropped by $450 Billion in 2002, the lost revenue even if the tax rates had stayed the same would have been about $140 Billion. The budget assumed an increase of $42 billion in revenue increases, not a $140 billion loss of revenue due to a loss of income, not tax cuts.
Was it all lost revenue, or "lost revenue" due to tax cuts implemented in 2001? Also, how would you explain an increase in AGI in 2003 for the Top 5% (by about $100B) compared to 2002, but a decrease in federal income tax receipts, if not attribute it to tax cuts? This was also true in 2005 when AGI for the top 5% was higher than it was in 2000 (income tax in 2005 from this group, in constant 2005 dollars, was $70B less much less being higher).

Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We pay something like $600 B in interest alone every year. Has it not occurred to any of the progressives on here what we could do with that money if we weren't giving it away for interest? Why not make it a priority to pay off that debt?
Ya, it occurred to me every time I thought about Bush's unfunded wars that helped run up the nation's debt. (Never understood that. No bond drives, no war tax. Nothing.) And it occurred to me when he didn't let the tax breaks for the wealth expire. Then Obama came along an added to the national debt. It took years to get into this situation and it will take years to get out of it...that is if it's done in a responsible way.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
There have been no budget deficits in the last almost 3 years. There have been no budgets to spend from since 2008.
And you weren't among those crying about budget deficits? What were you doing then? (Would you like me to dig up your posts on the subject?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies