Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,310,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The latter were part of the "Silent Majority".
They were the ego embracers stomping chit out of the Joneses.

The Joneses, trying to escape inferiority, were obsessed with grabbing all the shiny things they could find. These were, and are, the plastic people. But, hey, they make the economy go-round.

"Keeping up with the Joneses" is an idiom in many parts of the English-speaking world referring to the comparison to one's neighbor as a benchmark for social caste or the accumulation of material goods. To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority."

Keeping up with the Joneses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 PM

694 posts, read 744,933 times
OK - What I have so far is that some people think I am in the dark and others think I am not. Sounds like dealing with my wife

The 14th Amendment does not say anything of the sort. What you said, effectively, is that the state gov'ts don't need to exist. That is classic "we should depend on the Federal Gov't for everything" liberalism. The religion-part of the 1st Amendment has been construed to mean the gov't has to remove religion from school and every other aspect of society, unless you are Muslim, which is celabrated in some schools. What THAT part of the 1st Amendment DOES mean is that the Fed. Gov't can't "rule" on religion one way or the other - you know, the "CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW part! not that there can't BE religion. Also, for some reason, if I, as a white man do not vote for a black man, I do so because I am racist, it can't be because I don't like his politics. BUT, when a black man does not vote for a white man (when voting for a black man is an option), he is not racist but is fighting against "The Man". I don't understand so many people adhering to the liberal parties in this country, when nearly everything they say and do is condescending. They give you all these welfare programs, which are fine in the short term, but when they say things to the tune - our people can't live without them (these services), what they are saying is that these people can't make it on their own. We must take care of them because they are nothing without us. TRUE America gives you the oppotunity to be all you can be, but you have to make good decisions and put forth the effeft. I am not for or against any particularly established group here people. What I AM for is people who want to make their own way in life without blaming others for their failures and NOT having the gov't take what I DO make simply because someone else makes less. I do what I can to help friends and family out financially, but it is not the gov't role to do this for me. I do my best not to be hypocritical like some by saying the rich "stole" this or that or they can afford to give me some of what they have, or that they have "too much", while at the same time telling me how wonderful it would be if they themselves were rich. Being well off is not having a lot of money overall, it is having enough to pay the bills and enjoy your life, while having a cushion against bad times. My wife, son and I live fairly well on a current income generated my me of less than $20k a year. At 43, I have never made more than $27k a year. Our monthly bills are less than $1000 a month. We have no car payments and no credit card debt, with just a small mortgage. It is not waiting for the gov't to fix your life, it is for you to live your life and stop whining. By the way, I heard Obama saying in a speech the other day the we have the money to pay the debt, so we are not going to default unless they want us to. So, Obama is not about the furthering of this great county, he is about making sure as many people have what others have made whether they have worked for it or not.

Charles Sands

Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,237,393 times
ANY attempt to stop the insane spending and borrowing of our overgrown government must be quickly called "crazy" and falsely blamed for what are the inevitable results of mismanagement, like default on a debt so large it exceeds the entire economy.

They can't come out and say that they LIKE the collapsed economy, lack of jobs, consolidation of wealth at the top, collapse of housing assets, and failure of all the government Ponzi scams like Social Security. So instead they loudly criticize and attack any attempt to change the status quo.

You are quite perceptive to notice that 99% of the attacks on the Tea Party have no substance: name calling and insults take the place of arguing for the continuing decline that is the status quo. And the only points brought up, like "they threatened to make the nation default," are a misinterpretation of the facts--in this case, unless we stop endlessly raising the debt ceiling, Washington will NOT limit its insane overspending at all, ever. Trying to force Washington politicians to make real spending cuts is NOT the same thing as maliciously trying to make the nation default, to the benefit of nobody. It is just as valid to say that Obama is "trying to make the nation default" by being so obsessed with loading more taxes on a working class that is already barely surviving.

Apparently the liberals and Democrats want the excesses and fiscal irresponsibility to continue right up to the point of actual collapse. We (probably) have a whole two years before Standard and Poor's reduces our credit rating and makes interest on the massive debt a crushing burden--so PARTY ON, GARTH! We (might) have a few more years before the American dollar loses reserve currency status, and the cost of oil and every other import triples and quadruples overnight--so PARTY ON, WAYNE!

It seems obvious to me that Democrats and liberals are intent on destroying our nation and economy utterly, by refusing to make ANY changes to the status quo. They seem to think the economy is simply in yet another bust of the "boom and bust cycle," and will eventually recover while Big Government makes things better for the citizenry. Instead, I believe the outsourcing of the working class and our manufacturing base has permanently destroyed our economy, and the Big Government that never stops growing has become a financial burden on a bankrupt citizenry that is far too large to bear.

We can't afford to pay back or even service the insane debt racked up by Washington spendthrifts (held 60% by Americans); we can't afford to keep arming and policing the world; we can't afford the millions of give-away programs or the millions of government workers micro-managing every event on earth; we can't even afford the future payments under Social Security and Medicare that already cost my family over $200,000 in taxes with much more later.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,386,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
OK - What I have so far is that some people think I am in the dark and others think I am not. Sounds like dealing with my wife

The 14th Amendment does not say anything of the sort. What you said, effectively, is that the state gov'ts don't need to exist. That is classic "we should depend on the Federal Gov't for everything" liberalism. The religion-part of the 1st Amendment has been construed to mean the gov't has to remove religion from school and every other aspect of society, unless you are Muslim, which is celabrated in some schools. What THAT part of the 1st Amendment DOES mean is that the Fed. Gov't can't "rule" on religion one way or the other - you know, the "CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW part! not that there can't BE religion.
Charles Sands
Yes the 14th amendment does. It is the incorporation doctrine of the Due process clause. It has been interpreted that way since 1925 if not earlier with some decision hinting at it as far back as the 19th century.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,246,376 times
Quote:
Nah, they weren't protesting Viet Nam in the 60s. They were the "Silent Majority" who supported Nixon. Trust me; I was there.
Not do at all. I was there in the entire 60s and I was one of the Silent Majority. Nope, those kids that we called hippies were really protesting Vietnam and anything like that. Surely you know that Bill Ayers and his people were in the 60s.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I am generally conservative and listen to both Conservative and Liberal Talk radio. All this backlash over the Tea Party has me at a loss. It seems to be that the Tea Party is against anything the Fed does that the Constitution does not give it the power to do. This would include interfering in private business (aside from basic regulation), leaving religion alone instead of taking religion out of schools, which shouldn't be run by the Feds either. ...Things like that. Is this what people are up in arms against or am I in the dark about things?

Charles Sands

The United States is now composed of two groups. The first group receives from the hand of government without contributing in the form of income taxes. The second group pays income taxes and receives far less, if anything at all, from government. The reason we have these two groups is because technology has transformed our society into one in which far fewer low-skilled and semi-skilled workers are needed causing the middle class to shrink, unemployment to rise and incomes of people in these groups to decline. In the past, answers to the problem of unemployment among these low and semi-skilled workers included short-term unemployment benefits and retraining. Today, these measures are largely ineffective because lesser-skilled jobs tend to go away permanently and new jobs in growing sectors of the economy often require far more education than has been the case in decades past. Were those in the first group better educated, they would not find themselves competing for scarce jobs which pay less than in years past and offer fewer benefits. The typical Tea Party supporters belong to the second group, are disproportionately male, white, middle-aged, better educated and wealthy. They are generally happy with the opportunities they have in America and wish to preserve America's heritage for their children. Passing debt onto the next generation is viewed as an unacceptable crime against innocent children.

Poll Finds Tea Party Backers Wealthier and More Educated - NYTimes.com

Year after year, Democrats complain about the wealthy not paying their fair share, yet, when given the chance, they don't raise these tax rates and even extend tax cuts to ensure they are able to continue spending money we don't have. Republicans complain about spending, but it has never really been reduced on their watch. This week, they refused to stick to their principles when demanding immediate spending cuts and a balanced budget amendment. Instead, they agreed to a promise of future spending cuts everyone knows will never materialize as part of a compromise with Democrats who agreed once again to not raise taxes. From this sort of bi-partisan compromise we have accumulated $14 trillion dollars of debt which will be passed to future generations. The grandparents, mothers and fathers who have taken to the state capitals, public streets and parks and Washington DC to protest deficit spending and activities by the federal government beyond what the Constitution authorizes have been vilified by the MSM and Democrats while being disowned by Republicans, but I guess they don't know what else to do. What is the defense for stealing from children?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That Silent Majority is pretty much dead, Kat .. or in their 80s. These Tea Party brats are 55+ -- just the age to be mad about doing their civic duty when they were kids, as they are mad about paying tax rates their parents would have killed to get to leave a better world for their children and grandchildren. The Bags are the same selfish, me-first plague that ruined this nation. I wish the Silent Majority was still alive. I wish Nixon was still running the GOP. Conservatives used to believe in sacrifice and service to the nation.
I am still alive as are many of the people on this forum who are just in our 70s. Yep, we were the silent majority that Nixon talked about.

I guess you don't know that the kids who graduated from high school in the 60s are anywhere from 68 to 49 years old now. I remember the ones who graduated in 1974 that I taught who are 55 right now.

Maybe you need to either do some serious figuring or take time to get out your trusty calculator and do some real button pushing. You may find that the people who protested so much in the 60s were very much against the draft and those who graduated from high school in 1970 managed to squeeze under the time when the draft flew away.

You may hate the Tea Party but I don't think you know a lot about who they are and how old most of them are. You should have watched Beck's shindigs in DC and seen all those people with small children. Damned few of them were in their 50s so you just aren't getting there. My Congressman and several others in the Tea Party aren't even 50 yet, let alone your 55+.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Nixon made the ultimate sacrifice - he got his butt kicked out of the White House, and took the Republican party through the grates.
I don't remember Nixon that way, but then I was still a Democrat when he resigned the office to avoid the political game that would have impeached him and then kicked him out. Clinton didn't have enough ethics in him to take that road, though.

I think you have been reading some history books that aren't necessarily good ones. Progressive thinking in them.

BTW, where were you when Nixon resigned?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
That's my age group. I remember the Viet Nam protests well. Now mind you, my college kept us nursing students busy and off campus doing clinicals, but a lot of people were around. There were the protesters, and the frat/soror people, at my university anyway. The latter were part of the "Silent Majority".
Kat, I will have to disagree about who made up the silent majority since I was part of it and had been out of college 15 years when all that was going on.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
When the election comes in in 2012 maybe then you'll understand. Hopefully all these so called "politicians" will be resting in GITMO!
Well, at least the establishment ones from both parties would be nice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies