Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,202,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny just how ignorant many on the left are, and how little they know of American literature and history. From Wiki:

Of course, when you have no arguement and try to make everything about race and racism, I suppose that's to be expected.
Your willful desire to ignore the racist history of that phrase speaks volume. While I'm willing to accept that maybe Lamborn didn't mean it as a racist statement, are you too stubborn to admit that it has been historically used as a racist term?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
The whole gotcha game of who is a racist or not is so lame and useless. There will always be people who don't like someone merely because of their race or ethnicity what of it?

What I do know for certain is that his characterization of dealing with Obama is akin to dealing with a tar baby was a disrespectful denunciation of the President by someone who I'd like to think would know better. You can disagree without being disagreeable.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,292,271 times
Uncle Remus was not a racist.

Uncle Remus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,092,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Here you go, learn something new:

Urban Dictionary: tar baby
I don't need Urban Dictionary, I'm smart enough to figure out what it means by now, thanks.

My point is that I was called ignorant for not knowing what the term meant. If it's seen as a racial slur, why should I know what it means?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,653,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny just how ignorant many on the left are, and how little they know of American literature and history. From Wiki:

Of course, when you have no arguement and try to make everything about race and racism, I suppose that's to be expected.
Now you're just being silly. The word "cracker" doesn't have a racist meaning either, right? Crackers are just flour and salt.

To say that a word only has ONE meaning, in this day and age, is pretty ignorant.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I bet you believe that George Allen simply had no clue a word he thought he made up just so happened to also be a racial slur against the ethnicity of the person he was targeting right. That was just a coincidence, and so is Lamborn, just a coincidence that he happened to use a term he had "no idea" was racist. That is it right??
I don't even know who George Allen is.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
If it's seen as a racial slur, why should I know what it means?
Maybe you shouldn't. It is probably regional. Where I grew up, "tar baby" was VERY racist. As I posted earlier, my grandmother used the term when referring to blacks.

Just because you have never heard of it, you shouldn't assume that it is benign and doubt those who take offense.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's a very old racial slur, not something new you have "keep up with". I could understand people under 30 not knowing it but a man as old as Rep. Lamborn certainly knew the term and understood it for the racial slur that it is. You don't just pick a phrase like that out of a hat.
I'm 27 years old. I am not familiar with any of what you guys are talking about. Therefore, yes, I would have to "keep up" with racist crap if I were to know what that means.

Maybe you do pick a term like that when you're using it by its original meaning. Not every white conservative is a racist and not everyone is PC.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Now you're just being silly. The word "cracker" doesn't have a racist meaning either, right? Crackers are just flour and salt.

To say that a word only has ONE meaning, in this day and age, is pretty ignorant.
Well, if Obama says he ate crackers with his lunch, I wouldn't look for a racist connotation there... There are some that look for racism where it doesn't exist, in order to smear anyone they disagree with.

The context of the "Tar Baby" comment in the OP was pretty obvious...at least to those who aren't looking for racism in every comment. I suppose if I say I used a spade to till my garden, you're gonna assume I got a black man out there doing the digging, right?

Some people are so into hate, there is no reasoning with them.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Not every white conservative is a racist and not everyone is PC.
I don't think anyone is saying that. I'm certainly not.

The term is definitely racist to people of a certain generation, however. The fact that you are unaware of it does not make it any less racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.