Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I grew up in between NM and FL. In NM, where there were very few black kids, I never heard it. Moved to FL, to an all black area and heard it right away. Kids would say it to darker kids, especially girls. "Bald headed tar baby"
Are you saying black kids said this to other black kids?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Wow - that must of been one hell of vacations

Being from the South, I thought, I should know whether that phrase was commonly used.
Being called ****** or black ***** by some perturbed ******* on occasion - I'm actually dark olive, not black.

I never experienced being called it or hearing it used
like that ... first hand, second hand.

If you say it's true, well then -
Your calling a spade a spade
of which...spade is another racial slur

As far as calling Obama anything, I'll just call him inept.
I worked at Sambo's Restaurant once, and thought then, that if I had the money, I'd franchise Black Sambo's Restaurant.

Liberals woulda been asked to leave.

‪Soul Man Lyrics‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-03-2011, 07:43 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
...and our beloved vice President, Biden calls Gabby Gifford part of the "cracked head society" and this doesnt bug you one little bit?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I grew up in between NM and FL. In NM, where there were very few black kids, I never heard it. Moved to FL, to an all black area and heard it right away. Kids would say it to darker kids, especially girls. "Bald headed tar baby"
You said that was in the 1970's & 1980's right? I am convinced these kids are getting crueler the more time goes on. My husband was in the military for a while and we lived in NV for a bit. My son hated it there, because all the kids called him Beaner, and we are not Mexican. From then on, he refused to eat beans...

It's really funny (actually sad) how folks have different experiences from different parts of the country, that are not the same. Just goes to show -
name calling in America is alive and well...

Last edited by pollyrobin; 08-03-2011 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Beaner is another word we did not know until we moved to NV and had to look that up too :)

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
Wow - that must of been one hell of vacations

Being from the South, I thought, I should know whether that phrase was commonly used.
Being called ****** or black ***** by some perturbed ******* on occasion - I'm actually dark olive, not black.

I never experienced being called it or hearing it used
like that ... first hand, second hand.

If you say it's true, well then -
Your calling a spade a spade
of which...spade is another racial slur

As far as calling Obama anything, I'll just call him inept.
Me either. Must have been a regional thing. I decline to add it to the list of stuff that "hurts" me so don't worry about having to tiptoe around my "feelings". I've been wearing my big girl panties for quite awhile now.

Inept is generous.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh dear. Is that true? Is that phrase "call a Spade a Spade" considered a racial slur now? It refers to the spade in a deck of cards!

Please advise b/c I use this phrase on occasion and never knew someone might consider it a racial slur!!!!
Not the exact phrase, but I guess the word spade is.
I had to look it up
I use that phrase all the time too....

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Me either. Must have been a regional thing. I decline to add it to the list of stuff that "hurts" me so don't worry about having to tiptoe around my "feelings". I've been wearing my big girl panties for quite awhile now.

Inept is generous.
He is disrespectful to the flag, and our military. No matter what else,
I cannot respect him. Men and women of all colors have fought and
died for that flag.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing...?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
...and our beloved vice President, Biden calls Gabby Gifford part of the "cracked head society" and this doesnt bug you one little bit?

Biden survived two craniotomies and Gifford survived one craniotomy. Anyone who understands those two medical facts, understands Biden's joke. I doubt she took offense.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Most of the racial slurs I heard directed at black people I first heard from other black people.

Quote:
You said that was in the 1970's & 1980's right? I am convinced these kids are getting crueler the more time goes on. My husband was in the military for a while and we lived in NV for a bit. My son hated it there, because all the kids called him Beaner, and we are not Mexican. From then on, he refused to eat beans...

It's really funny (actually sad) how folks have different experiences from different parts of the country, that are not the same. Just goes to show -
name calling in America is alive and well...
Yep I'm an 80's baby so this was the 80's & 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies