Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 07:52 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,073,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And it's funny that most of these people claim to be Christians! Now, I'm no bleeding heart by any means, and there are those that truly belong in prison, such as pedophiles, murderers, rapists, the Bernie Madoff types. But it really is a vicious cycle when a non-violent offender who pays his debt to society has suffered the consequences for his actions, and still gets beaten down to the point of which that person ends up going back to doing the same thing. Because of their record they can't find a job, and of course in turn becomes more desperate, which causes them to commit more serious offenses! It's sad that because people are so unforgiving and vindictive that someone is actually thinking of making a law about this! I'm not for the law by any means, as it is that person's business, their rules. But it doesn't make it right either!
But a felon can find a job. It may not be the highest paying job, but there are those jobs that will hire them. There are some places, I know of a couple of factories that will hire a felon over someone with a clean record, because of the tax break they receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM

38 posts, read 42,416 times
Republicans want to have the shadow of the past follow these people so that it forces them back into a life of crime. Republican then want to point to the recidivism rate while they stack the deck. Once you pay your debt their record should be private. Only back ground checks that need security should be allowed to see your record and then only that which is relevant to your position you are applying for. If you drove drunk and were applying for a job as a bus driver than it should be available. If you drove drunk and were applying to be a clerk then no it should not be available. This country punishes people twice, they get their sentence and then it follows them for life in most cases. But its never enough for the rights blood lust.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,073,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaroid View Post
Republicans want to have the shadow of the past follow these people so that it forces them back into a life of crime. Republican then want to point to the recidivism rate while they stack the deck. Once you pay your debt their record should be private. Only back ground checks that need security should be allowed to see your record and then only that which is relevant to your position you are applying for. If you drove drunk and were applying for a job as a bus driver than it should be available. If you drove drunk and were applying to be a clerk then no it should not be available. This country punishes people twice, they get their sentence and then it follows them for life in most cases. But its never enough for the rights blood lust.
Try the truth next time... The Republicans want the option of choosing who they hire to work at their business. The Republicans want to be able to hire a felon if they choose to, or not hire one if they chose to. Not be told who they have to hire and entrust with their money.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,072,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbrownbiscuit View Post
*sigh* more like common sense. If people reoffend because they can't find a job, obviously increasing their ability to find employment would decrease the recidivisim rate. Would you prefer that we either continue to house them in the prison system (at 20k/per year) or support them on welfare?

~butterbrownbiscuit~
ita

Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Wow..so these folks are all "victims" of Republican hate ?
Gee..like they should have thought twice before committing that crime and how it would impact the rest of their lives ?

It's up to the employer whether or not to hire you, not the government mandating it.

Regardless employers will continue to do what they do only they will go about it in a different way if the government mandates that a criminal record is discriminatory.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
Quote:
Ground control to Polaroid:

Criminal records are neither a Republican nor a Democrat invention.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,392,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
If you have two people, one with a 500 and a felony record and one with a 750 and no records, it stands to reason one is more responsible. This is common sense and you know it.

But to be honest, it doesn't matter how rational it is. It's my business. I hire who I want to hire.

A criminal record is clear evidence of irresponsibility, but I'm not seeing how it is "common sense" to make similar assumptions about bad credit.

Do health-related major loss of income credit issues demonstrate irresponsibility?

I am completely not seeing how my bad credit at that time could have detracted from my ability to do my job.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A criminal record is clear evidence of irresponsibility, but I'm not seeing how it is "common sense" to make similar assumptions about bad credit.

Do health-related major loss of income credit issues demonstrate irresponsibility?

I am completely not seeing how my bad credit at that time could have detracted from my ability to do my job.
I tend to agree. I also think its irrelevant to this discussion. Having bad credit its not the same as a criminal record. Indeed, bad credit can almost always be repaired.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
And folks wonder why companies are offshoring.
Stop the wondering folks..issues like this are why companies are offshoring.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 AM

455 posts, read 632,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And folks wonder why companies are offshoring.
Stop the wondering folks..issues like this are why companies are offshoring.
It's apparent you do this for comedic value!, or you are simply delusional!

America has the most pro active policing on this planet or any other, that's part of the problem, people in Indonesia simply do not get arrested for DUI
Unless they kill someone.Law enforcement here is a business thats hurting
Draining society for the benefit of a few, it's all politically based and greed based.All you need is fear!!, any irrational fear will do!! This is an American
Phenomenon, see Prisoners per Capita then tell me I'm wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies