Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Their inability to find employment is a major reason why many of these people reoffend. So, if you want people to stay out of jail and off the entitlements, they have to be able to work.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
So "for the greater social good" business owners should be prompted to hire criminals? What about the increased risk the business owner takes in doing so? How will he/she be compensated when things go bad - a .67 probability based on an earlier post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
And here I thought it being a free country and all a private business was the one who could decide who they would hire. Silly me.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Bleeding hearts will for the most part save this country from itself. And the heartless empty vessels now masquerading as human beings will die out like the dinosaurs.
Let's all hold hands and join in singing "Kumbaya".

Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Let's all hold hands and join in singing "Kumbaya".
Perfect example of our ingrained distrust of each other and why we are where we are. You are not a part of any solution, you are the problem. Keep rolling your eyes. I hear they fall out if you do it enough.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:22 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Looks like the liberals and "progressives" in San Fran are feverishly working in ways where your typical felon now has as much right as any else to apply for jobs. No matter if they raped or killed someone. What's more, if an ex-con somehow feels discriminating against by not getting hired they will have a recourse to sue the business. With this, and the judges and prison deacons giving sexual favors to inmates, being a criminal has never included these many perks in the US.

Why Ex-Con Job Seekers Shouldn't Be Discriminated Against - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/why-ex-con-job-seekers-shouldnt-discriminated-against-092711018.html - broken link)

I agree with them regarding victimless crimes, crimes of violence need to be in a different category.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Perfect example of our ingrained distrust of each other and why we are where we are. You are not a part of any solution, you are the problem. Keep rolling your eyes. I hear they fall out if you do it enough.
I don't have an "ingrained distrust" of people in general. Just those who have been convicted of felonies and have lost their trustworthiness. I wouldn't want such an individual to be mandated as working in a business I had worked hard to establish and/or which I depend on for my income/reputation.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
it's a strange world where having a poor credit score or being unemployed 'too long' can keep you from getting hired, but having a felony conviction for a violent crime cannot.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
*Sigh* More like common sense. IF people reoffend because they can't find a job, obviously increasing their ability to find employment would decrease the recidivisim rate. Would you prefer that we either continue to house them in the prison system (at 20K/per year) or support them on welfare?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So "for the greater social good" business owners should be prompted to hire criminals? What about the increased risk the business owner takes in doing so? How will he/she be compensated when things go bad - a .67 probability based on an earlier post?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,827 times
I'm a bit curious about those who think felons should be discriminated against because they committed a crime - if that's the case, do you support keeping every felon in jail for life?

It would seem you are opposed to the idea of rehabilitation and felons becoming functioning members of society, so exactly what do you propose?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
I don't believe anyone thinks the unemployed or those with poor credit should be discriminated against either.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's a strange world where having a poor credit score or being unemployed 'too long' can keep you from getting hired, but having a felony conviction for a violent crime cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies