Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Hilarious!

The unions wouldn't bargain, so they closed the shop on them and now they can sit at home and no pensions for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
He said he doesn't want to see Central Falls dissolved or merged into a neighboring community like Pawtucket.

"I want to make sure the city keeps its identity," he said. "People are very proud of Central Falls. We know we have our problems. But it's our city."
This isn't even a "town", it looks more like a neighborhood of Pawtucket. The city itself is an unnecessary bureaucracy.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That's the issue here.. and they were promised these benefits as a reward for working for less money than they would have in the civilian sector.
I don't know about this specific case but less money is laughable where I live. On top of that they'll put in as much overtime as they can the last three years jacking their benefits through the roof, many are retiring with substantially more than their base salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
And by the way, if you think your taxes are going to down one red cent when public pensions are stolen away, lol... you're an idiot.
They couldn't be reduced at least as far as retirees go, theses liabilities are unfunded in most places. Taxes will have to be raised or cuts made elsewhere to meet these obligations. Here's smaple from PA from a 2010 article:

Quote:
http://www.phlmetropolis.com/2010/03...s-part-one.php

- The State Employees Retirement System (SERS), which now covers some 107,000 retired state workers, currently costs state taxpayers about $226 million a year. This is due to rise sevenfold -- to $1.7 billion -- by fiscal 2012-13.

- The Public School Employees Retirement Fund (PSERS), which covers about 168,000 retired teachers, now costs state and local taxpayers a combined $616 million. This obligation will increase to $3 billion -- nearly five times as much --by fiscal 2012-13.

- There are more than 3,000 municipal pension programs, ranging from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to any rural borough with more than three employees. They cover retired police, firemen and non-uniformed workers (no one really knows how many) and they are already behind in their current obligations by at least $5 billion. That is not a typo. They are behind by $5 billion.
There's other sates in worse shape... It's ticking time bomb.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-02-2011 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Actually I would hope that the CAFRs and FUNDS track records are looked at in detail. Too many places claiming they are hurting when technically they are not.

Would be a bit like your rich aunt complaining about some recent loses in the stock market when her net worth was still quite high.

I agree that if anything, you DO NOT want the govt controlling any funds you expect to get in the future. There is no doubt there will be more of this.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know about this specific case but less money is laughable where I live. On top of that they'll put in as much overtime as they can the last three years jacking their benefits through the roof, many are retiring with substantially more than their base salary.
And that needs to be changed...use the base salary and not count the bloat (overtime).

Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
The contracts may be voided, however not their pensions. Remember, bankruptcy can't wipe everything out. The City of Vallejo here filed bankruptcy. ALL of the pensions were honored and are still honored. In fact, the police officers in Vallejo are making out better now, then they did before the bankruptcy.

The department I work for hired a whole bunch of the officers who lost their jobs. They are all leaving now to go back; more money and better benefits.

It's not the end all of end alls.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Actually I would hope that the CAFRs and FUNDS track records are looked at in detail. Too many places claiming they are hurting when technically they are not.

Would be a bit like your rich aunt complaining about some recent loses in the stock market when her net worth was still quite high.

I agree that if anything, you DO NOT want the govt controlling any funds you expect to get in the future. There is no doubt there will be more of this.
That's why I do "cash option" with my weekly lotto ticket rather than annuity payment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies