U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,477,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What if they made Storm white? What message would that send?
Just a guess, but maybe the only message would be that Storm was white. Not everything is part of some nefarious plot to strip straight white conservatives of their inherent superiority.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 PM

78 posts, read 94,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Spiderman is a specific alter ego of a specific human being, given to him during a specific event (spider bite). It is not a title to be passed down to another like the Dread Pirate Roberts.

My argument is better than anything you could ever come up with.
LOL, that's brilliant.

My dad can beat up your dad.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM

6,966 posts, read 5,226,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down View Post
LOL, that's brilliant.

My dad can beat up your dad.

I should hope so, my dad is in a wheelchair you insensitive troll.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 PM

4,142 posts, read 5,055,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What if they made Storm white? What message would that send?

That Marvel Comics should stop fu*&ing with super heros...

You can't establish a gay black super hero? You have to screw with one already established? It pisses me off that we have to be so PC and rewrite everything to make everyone happy.

Storm is black-spiderman is not gay-

What's next Wolverine will be a cross dresser?

Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I should hope so, my dad is in a wheelchair you insensitive troll.
Oh brother.
Be that as it may, let's go back to your earlier comment:

Quote:
Spiderman is a specific alter ego of a specific human being, given to him during a specific event (spider bite). It is not a title to be passed down to another like the Dread Pirate Roberts.
I take it then that you were are equally upset about the Green Goblin being passed down to another, right? Since the origin of the new Spiderman hasn't yet been unveiled, your origin comment is irrelevant, so we'll be focusing on the rest of your impression of singularity.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

You can't establish a gay black super hero? You have to screw with one already established? It pisses me off that we have to be so PC and rewrite everything to make everyone happy.

You gotta admit, regardless of what you think of it....it worked.

When is the last time most any of the posters here thought about Spiderman comics before this whole deal?
Exactly.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 PM

6,966 posts, read 5,226,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down View Post
Oh brother.
Be that as it may, let's go back to your earlier comment:

I take it then that you were are equally upset about the Green Goblin being passed down to another, right? Since the origin of the new Spiderman hasn't yet been unveiled, your origin comment is irrelevant, so we'll be focusing on the rest of your impression of singularity.
lol I was kidding about the wheelchair, he does have a pacemaker, but still I think my dad is an excellent foe for your dad but no punches to the armpit area, please.

As for the green goblin, I don't really know much about him aside from the movie and the excellent video games in the late 80s. I don't really think it works the same way for villians as it does for superheroes.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 PM

313 posts, read 260,242 times
i guess spider man will be dancing a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Isn't it racist to portray blacks wearing a mask over their face?
It is racist to portray black people as anything other than upstanding, intelligent, quiet, reserved and non-criminal prone citizens. Regardless of what the crime rates tell you.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:01 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,303,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
As usual, a liberal doesnt get it.No one cares what race a super-hero is you goof. First off, I could give a damn.

The fact that they are getting rid of who was the character for decades and replacing him with something completely different just to be PC and controversial, shows that this is nothing more than a publicity stunt.
Or that people really haven't read the comics, where they'd probably realize that Spiderman has been multiple races and genders before.

This is not Peter Parker. Peter Parker is dead. In the regular Marvel universe, Peter's still well alive (and part of the new Fantastic 4 no less), but in the Ultimate universe, Peter's dead.

People really can create controversy out of anything.

Stay classy, America.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,695,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post

That's what I don't understand. What is the point of doing that to a well established character? What is the "message" it sends? They can't wait to say YEAH WOO HOO MESSAGE IS GETTING ACROSS.. but what is that message?

They'll cheer to change stuff, yet, where's the cry to create new? Why not make a super awesome bad ass black lady suepr hero?

What people (often the crazy PC crowd) fail to realize how offensive it can be to do this. They push and push "diveristy", but what we get is garbage. It's not garbage because it's diverse, it's garbage because it's something forced and not really well thought. What we'll get in a "gay black spiderman" is that his dialogue will be both stereotypical on both black and gay. How else can we know that he is gay (besides having a relationship with a man), if he doesn't say things like "GIRL" and "HONEY"? They don't realize that capitilzing on a stereotype is attrocious, but they don't see it. They get sooo excited to shove "diversity" in faces that it doesn't matter how it comes off: As long as we see that there are other people in this world --- despite the fact that when we play on stereotypes it usually leaves an adverse effect on us.

Originiality is dead in comics. This is what they have to do to get the simple minded excited.

If they re-did the entire original Spiderman: Kept the dialogue exactly the same and of course changed Mary Jane to some guy... how on earth will this make it any better? Am I saying it'll make it worse? Nope. But BECAUSE it's the same thing, but now "black & gay" it's somehow positive and "sends a message"?

I just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies