Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Don't like it, don't buy it.

It's just that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Just a guess, but maybe the only message would be that Storm was white. Not everything is part of some nefarious plot to strip straight white conservatives of their inherent superiority.
So then, if we changed a super hero who was a minority -- like Storm -- into a white person, it's just "A white person".

But when we turn Jean Grey into Gene Gay (who is black and jewish) that somehow sends a positive message?

Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
That's what I don't understand. What is the point of doing that to a well established character? What is the "message" it sends? They can't wait to say YEAH WOO HOO MESSAGE IS GETTING ACROSS.. but what is that message?
That Peter Parker is dead and someone else is going to take the mantle.

Which has happened before in the comics, and in other universes, Peter Parker wasn't even Spiderman, or white for that matter.

Calling this "PC" is insane at the very least, grasping at straws at the very best, and just all around stupid and ignorant of the actual comics.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
So then, if we changed a super hero who was a minority -- like Storm -- into a white person, it's just "A white person".

But when we turn Jean Grey into Gene Gay (who is black and jewish) that somehow sends a positive message?

Again, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I don't like what some TV networks do with my favorite characters sometimes.

Guess what I do? Stop watching. I don't demand that someone else do something I want with their property.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
That Peter Parker is dead and someone else is going to take the mantle.

Which has happened before in the comics, and in other universes, Peter Parker wasn't even Spiderman, or white for that matter.

Calling this "PC" is insane at the very least, grasping at straws at the very best, and just all around stupid and ignorant of the actual comics.
Insane, my balls. It's obvious, eye-rolling PC garbage.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Again, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I don't like what some TV networks do with my favorite characters sometimes.

Guess what I do? Stop watching. I don't demand that someone else do something I want with their property.
Especially a property that's a offshoot property and not part of the main universe.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Insane, my balls. It's obvious, eye-rolling PC garbage.
Only to those who don't really know anything about Spiderman or the history of Spiderman comics.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Especially a property that's a offshoot property and not part of the main universe.
Its like bitching about Supermans new vision.

He'll be a bachelor, wear jeans, no cape, etc.

But its DC's product, and if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to buy it.

Its fake outrage over something that people could probably really care less about. Peter parker is what, 50 years old now, at least. He'll live on as a 20/30 something character in part of marvels universe for a long time.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its like bitching about Supermans new vision.

He'll be a bachelor, wear jeans, no cape, etc.

But its DC's product, and if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to buy it.

Its fake outrage over something that people could probably really care less about. Peter parker is what, 50 years old now, at least. He'll live on as a 20/30 something character in part of marvels universe for a long time.
They're resetting everything DC, from what I can recall. Quite honestly, I never liked DC, and I think Superman's new direction is stupid, so you know what I'm doin'? Not paying any attention to it.

I was never a huge fan of the Marvel Ultimates series, as it felt like a washed down version of the main series for Marvel, so again, never purchased it.

People really will just argue about anything, and falsely attribute faults to things that don't have said faults.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101flyboy View Post
Funny how Spiderman potentially being gay elicits jokes and mocking. America goes from one group to targer for abuse to another.

And PC? Um, reality isn't PC. That's what people go to when they have a bigoted opinion. Stop being PC. Because it's PC to not discriminate or hold biases.

This is a great move by Marvel comics and sends a very positive message.
Oh poor politically inccorrect people who aren't enlightened enough to let anyone do anything without sticking up for principals. Is there anything not sacred enough to be debased with a homosexual tone? Some things left ungay isn't homophobia, it's just not radiacalized.

I love sugar, but I don't want it on my steak. I grew up with these super heroes and rather than defiling them, Marvel should create new powerful gay super heroes with their own identities. It has nothing to do with PC, if it did then I'd have to say it's being totally incorrect to do this. Political correctness works in both directions, unless of course you're straight.

This place is full of heterophobes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies