Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM

141 posts, read 686,283 times

Advertisements

The world in 100 years will be very different indeed. I don't know that there will really be any borders, because everyone will be chipped and tracked anyway. There will be just enough good about it that people will accept it and go along. We give up freedom all the time in the name of security.
Technology rules and will for a long while. It won't happen overnight, it never does, but it will happen. sit back and clear your mind and just imagine the technology you know about now and where that may go. You won't see much of it in your lifetime but your grandkids kids will for sure. Things change all the time anyway. Eventually we may come full circle and perhaps technology will evolve in a way to be less invasive or not used to keep track of the populus. I wouldn't worry too much about the world being wiped out by terrorist. It's just not going to happen. Eventually even they will come in line with the west. We will go through more periods of turmoil, we're human and its what we do. by having children your are helping to ensure your vision of the future goes forward. Keep a good thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
The world in 100 years will be very different indeed. I don't know that there will really be any borders, because everyone will be chipped and tracked anyway. There will be just enough good about it that people will accept it and go along. We give up freedom all the time in the name of security.
Technology rules and will for a long while. It won't happen overnight, it never does, but it will happen. sit back and clear your mind and just imagine the technology you know about now and where that may go. You won't see much of it in your lifetime but your grandkids kids will for sure. Things change all the time anyway. Eventually we may come full circle and perhaps technology will evolve in a way to be less invasive or not used to keep track of the populus. I wouldn't worry too much about the world being wiped out by terrorist. It's just not going to happen. Eventually even they will come in line with the west. We will go through more periods of turmoil, we're human and its what we do. by having children your are helping to ensure your vision of the future goes forward. Keep a good thought.
You are correct in that the long-term trend will undoubtedly be to de-emphasize national sovereignty and borders---Europe is already well on its way to this end.
I'm a big student of "futuristic studies", and I once read of a think-tank sponsored by the travel and hospitality industry, on the "future of travel in 100 years".
The consensus was that there would be LESS travel then than now; there will be a great deal of "homogenization", (the "McDonaldizing" of the world, if you will) so that there will be very few really exotic places left. Those places still truly exotic will no doubt be so because of dangerous conditions there; therefore it will make much more sense to visit these places in "virtual reality". and remain safe from the discomfort, risk, and danger involved in actually going there. Business travel will be virtually unnecessary.
Sounds bizarre, but no more so than our world to someone a century ago...

Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 PM

141 posts, read 686,283 times
see I was thinking there would be some parts of the world where technology wouldn't be the norm and people would visit to see "what it used to be like" without the "good" technology that keeps us safe. Kind of like the old west shows with the shoot outs. Little disney lands of drug infested ghettos, or meth trailer parks to show us how much better off we are. I'm only half joking, It could happen.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 PM

54 posts, read 73,721 times
FYI, there's an interesting idea that gets knocked about, especially in Sci-Fi circles, called the Singularity. This is basically the notion that advances in modern technology (computer processing, bio-engineering, etc.) have been increasing at an exponential rate. Theoretically, at some time in the near future (20-30 years hence?), we'll have reached a point ("the Singularity") at which all previous models of human development, planning, and change become irrelevant, because we no longer have any idea (or control) of what lies on the other side.

Vernor Vinge on the Singularity

Old 01-30-2009, 01:56 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Interesting thoughts, and I've long held an interest in such predictions, some of which will undoubtedly prove true. To those who scoff at this, I can only say "why do you think this WON'T happen?"....in other words, if this stuff sounds too weird, or too gloomy ,to be believable, just ask yourself how our present-day situation might have sounded to someone living in the reality of, say, 1948. or 1957?....
Yes, you are correct, but the people that scoff at this are the very ones that are exacerbating many problems that we have now. No foresight or hindsight is a handicap for many and unfortunately it affects everyone. They simply do not get that their actions today have a ripple effect for future genrations. Such a simple concept. It is like the people that really infuriate me when they deny climate change and therefore it gives them permission to pollute the air and water. My question to them is always the same..."even if climate change is not a reality, why would it be a bad thing to stop pouring chemicals into the air or water?" With some individuals it falls on deaf ears. My dad always says that one day we will be fighting wars over clean water as opposed to oil. He's probably right. My opinion is that the human race is an experiment gone awry.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yes, you are correct, but the people that scoff at this are the very ones that are exacerbating many problems that we have now. No foresight or hindsight is a handicap for many and unfortunately it affects everyone. They simply do not get that their actions today have a ripple effect for future genrations. Such a simple concept. It is like the people that really infuriate me when they deny climate change and therefore it gives them permission to pollute the air and water. My question to them is always the same..."even if climate change is not a reality, why would it be a bad thing to stop pouring chemicals into the air or water?" With some individuals it falls on deaf ears. My dad always says that one day we will be fighting wars over clean water as opposed to oil. He's probably right. My opinion is that the human race is an experiment gone awry.
Yeah, with all the overwhelming evidence, I don't really get the "climate-change deniers" (or "it's just a natural cycle, blah, blah, blah"). I get the sense that it's not even about truth or facts for them, instead it's mostly about some kind of weird ideology or inner need to not accept the facts, kinda like the "Holocaust Deniers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies