Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CCB had passed, would our Credit Rating have been cut?
Yes, it still would have. We're just in too deep. 55 36.18%
No. It would have shown we were serious about getting spending under control. 93 61.18%
I don't care, I want to keep spending like it's 1999. 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:46 PM

26,832 posts, read 15,068,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Did yu read the full text? They repeatedly mention the political stalemate in Washington, in terms of lack of confidence that this congress can do anything constructive.
Yes I did.

They did say Congress, they did not say this as you posted that they did;
"thanks to the pig-headedness of the GOP and the tea party."

That's what I asked, where they said that.
Your presented your opinion as their statement..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 06:06 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,262,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The Netherlands has a high tax schedule for the rich, and most of them left, even fled just across the border to Belgium
Source?

Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,873,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You're forgetting Boehner and the Tea Party. Don't bother actually referring to facts of who was primarily blamed or anything.
Actually both Boehner and the Tea Party wanted more cuts, something the S&P demanded as well.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,988,288 times
Default " Ya'll Needs Yo Big Ole Azzzzzzzzes Kicked" ... What !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You are to blame.

It's a government "by the people, of the people, for the people" no?

You can't divorce yourself from the fact that you are the government.

You have to choose between Dancing with the Stars and participating in your government. I know it's a tough choice to make, but it is necessary in order to have a stable well-run republic.

Yes, yes, of course, and you were so distraught and felt so guilty you voluntarily returned your portion of the tax cut to your government, right?

Yeah, right.
Mircea !!! ... You Are Well Within The Mark !!!

Indeed ... You are so right on this one ! ... We all seriously need to have our big azzzzzzzzzzzes kicked for ever letting the blinkin goobermint git as ridiciously out of control as we are witness to today !!!

We all are guilty of allowing this bunch of dubious and self-serving career politicians to run amuck and become as unprecedently corrupt as they are truly appear at present !!!

Shame on all of us ! America's political leadership is seemingly at it's absolute lowest level ever ... the ineptitude and the arrogance is rampant !

America's numerous enemies around the globe are watching and counting the days until our nation is reduced to perhaps a lowly 3rd rate "Bananna Republic" !!!

Is this the America that you want to live in mates ??? Or do you envision a much different America ...... Formidable, Proud, Patriotic, a nation that reliably enforces it's laws, one that refuses to knuckle under to the "America Owes Me" beeachin crew !!! Damn it do sound good don't it now blokes !!! !

Ya'll thinks about it ! Cheers ! Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,750,375 times
Quote:
Do you people even read the crap you spew? S&P specifically stated one of the reasons they downgraded was because Republicans were unwilling to compromise on new revenue increases and S&P did not believe they would end the Bush tax cuts. Which group of Republicans held up negotiations in the House over compromise? The Tea Party!

The Tea Party is one of the primary causes of this downgrade. I have no clue what planet you're on when you think they did everything right. You may not care about compromise, but the Tea Party is accountable to more than just their 1st grade educated constituents. Without compromise, we have political gridlock, and gridlock is why S&P doesn't trust our government to deal with our debt. Lack of compromise is the direct cause of this downgrade.

Only clueless children would blame 1 man for every single problem in this country. The Presidency is bigger than 1 man, and the Presidency is not the most powerful government body.

I agree with this, especially the bolded area. No one person is to blame, but I do feel that the refusal of the Tea Party to budge on raising revenues was the most detrimental to the lowering of the credit rating. The main issue I have with the president is his willingness to compromise with them and I am not even a democrat but I just see them as a fringe group of loonies and I would not bother with them. Democrats did like dems always do in government, they made the situation a big deal and debated amongst themselves but (like always) they eventually give in to whatever is the more logical solution. They gave in to cuts, TPers and GOPers would not give in to raising revenue, thus the credit rating was lowered. Simple as that.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,609,808 times
If you read the report they say it is the uncertainty that the US will continue to pay its bills, this promise to fight every action the government takes was what caused the downgrade

Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,348,822 times
Open your borders, blanket amnesty, free markets and a $0/hr minimum wage. That's as bi-partisan as it gets. You're going "their" way and at the same time you ask them (with force) to come your way (SS, Medicare, Medicaid, Direct T.V., Flat Screens, PlayStations, etc.)

Last edited by BigJon3475; 08-06-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 07:11 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,815,068 times
Quote:
Do you people even read the crap you spew?
I seldom read what I have already posted but .. I'm reading yours.

Sad really

Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 PM

8,805 posts, read 6,072,459 times
I just saw this thread so I don't know what has been said so far, but I wanted to post that Cavuto just interviewed the managing director of the committee that downgraded us at S&P and the reasons cited were that we're not on a good fiscal path and that the issues in Washington don't lead them to believe we will solve the problem sufficiently. The outlook is negative over the next 6-24 months.

He also said we have a 1 in 3 chance of being downgraded again, and that only 5 countries have regained AAA rating and it took between 9 and 18 years to do so. WE ARE SO SCREWED.

Lastly, he verified that the $4T in cuts was what they were looking for and cited the Obama proposal from April and the Ryan plan as being examples of plans that would have been okay.

I'm going off memory here and that interview was over an hour ago, so please correct me if I am wrong here.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,012,212 times
Wow exactly 50-50%...

Maybe this forum is not as Tea Party/Fox News Happy as I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies