Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CCB had passed, would our Credit Rating have been cut?
Yes, it still would have. We're just in too deep. 55 36.18%
No. It would have shown we were serious about getting spending under control. 93 61.18%
I don't care, I want to keep spending like it's 1999. 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times

Advertisements

Bush tax cuts

Thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I am curious as to the public consensus as to who is to blame more, though both parties are to blame.
You are to blame.

It's a government "by the people, of the people, for the people" no?

You can't divorce yourself from the fact that you are the government.

You have to choose between Dancing with the Stars and participating in your government. I know it's a tough choice to make, but it is necessary in order to have a stable well-run republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Bush tax cuts
Yes, yes, of course, and you were so distraught and felt so guilty you voluntarily returned your portion of the tax cut to your government, right?

Yeah, right.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
We all know the rhetoric from Washington was that this would happen if the ceiling were not raised.

I am curious as to the public consensus as to who is to blame more, though both parties are to blame.
the rhetoric from the left was deafening, and mostly wrong. the claim that just raising the debt ceiling would prevent a credit rating downgrade was wrong, and the democrats knew it because the ratings companies kept telling us in no uncertain terms that we need to get spending under control. the democrats however fought tooth and nail to prevent that from happening.

Quote:
I seriously think taxing the richer folks may have given a long term plan towards putting a dent on the national debt. I am not really sure if the super-rich would run away with their assets if they have to pay more taxes, an argument used against taxing them.
here we go again with the tired, and false, argument that taxing the rich would somehow solve our debt problems. the fact is that we can take EVERY DIME that the richest 8000 people in this country, and run the country for 24 days. wow. it has been calculated that we can take EVERY DIME of income above $50,000, and take EVERY DIME of profit made by EVERY business in this country, and we can run the country of 7 months. that should tell you that we have a spending problem and not a revenue problem.

and if you do try to tax the richest among us, or corporations, to heavily they will in fact leave the country for lower tax rates. dont believe me? check out what many of britains rich did in the late 60s and early 70s when the government there kept piling on the taxes, the moved HERE to pay a lower tax rate. it does happen, and it will happen again.

Quote:
And clearly, S&P says the inefficiency of Washington factored in the downgrade, thanks to the pig-headedness of the GOP and the tea party.
really? you mean that harry reid was doing everything he could to pass a budget? or pass a debt ceiling resolution? the fact is that the republicans produced a budget, offered several debt resolution bills, and generally tried to prevent this from becoming an issue, but reid constantly tabled everything sent to the senate by the house, and obama constantly threatened to veto anything passed by the house, and the subsequently the senate. the gop caved more than they should have. you want to point fingers, start with the democrats.

Quote:
And let's not forget the infamous stimulus package, some of which went into the alternate energy sector, for example, which has completely collapsed. Case in point: A123 systems opened their IPO at over 15 bucks, and they sit at 4 bucks now, reaching 52-week lows every quarter with steepening losses, despite millions of stimulus money, literally money went down a hole.
and you blame the republicans for the stimulus package, why? when it was passed they were in the minority in BOTH houses of congress, and there was in fact NOTHING they could do to stop the bill from being passed. you are laying the blame in the wrong places.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
I couldn't vote in your poll because your options were too limited. This day has been coming for years and both parties are responsible.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
The feeling in the financial arena is almost unanimous.

Is the U.S. Credit Rating a Victim of GOP Sabotage? | Daniel Gross - Yahoo! Finance

Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
C, all of the above and more

Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
The rating should be downgraded to junk.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
C, all of the above and more
I disagree. If the GOP were unified and bartered a deal 10 days in advance and not close on the heels of August 2, the outcome would have been different.

The downgrade is more towards the perceived and projected inability of Washington to make effective decisions on the country's deficit and fixing it going forward, when it's a given that the GOP and the tea part have done and will do everything to make this president fail and take the White House next year.

When a faction is not even unified among itself, what credibility does it have to negotiate with the other side?? It's a simple question

Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
I wish I could check one of your choices, unfortunately it is a lack of guts by virtually every politician to stop funding all the goodies. We all know it is going to happen. We have a choice to do it on our own terms or some one else's. Our politicians have elected to let someone else tell us how to resolve our problems. Pathetic.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I couldn't vote in your poll because your options were too limited. This day has been coming for years and both parties are responsible.
I was just about to post the same thing.
I didn't vote either. It's both their fault. No one walks away guiltless here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies