Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times

Advertisements

I would Vote Republican.....If I were Insane!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
I'd vote Republican too if they were Democrats, but they're not.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I would Vote Republican.....If I were Insane!

Thing is you might be...........
I would only vote republican if hell freezes over..........slim chance

Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
I see we have three straight ticket voters here. Lovely.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,842 times
Default I would vote republican if...

Hell froze over. And I did not even read post #63. Great minds think alike.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
7) Believes in an appropriate level of a social safety net that takes care of the infirm, disabled, etc., who cannot care for themselves and have no family to do so.
I agree with this, and we passed the appropriate level years ago. Appropriate is eliminating SS completely, privatizing medicare and medicaid, limiting UI to 3 months max (among other things)

Quote:
8) Believes in regulatory efforts designed to protect the environment
9) Believes that climate change exists and promotes scientific efforts to ameliorate its effects
I am not sure why these are the government's job...

Quote:
10) Believes in the importance of education and the need for radical educational reform that doesn't starve public schools
I am with you on this one, but what exactly is 'radical education reform?'

Quote:
11) Believes in the need for government intervention to insure protection of religious, racial, economic and sexual minority groups.
I do not agree with this necessarily. Again, I am not sure why this is the government's job. Prosecute those who commit crimes against other human beings, however we should not have 'protected classes', as that simply promote segregation...

Quote:
12) Believes in health care as a right afforded to everyone, not a privilege for those who can pay for it.
Everyone DOES have a right to health care. Just not free government provided health care. No one will stop you from getting health care. It is NOT the government's job to play doctor or insurance agent.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 AM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Frankly, I think our country should have more fiscal sanity. Massive budget cut backs, and fiscal restraint is an absolute necessity. Yes, I wouldn't mind lower amounts of taxation as well. I do think that lower taxation stimulates business and helps the economy in general.

So this progressive is open to voting Republican. If you can find me a Republican who:

1) Will work to appeal DOMA
2) Wants to keep Religion and State totally separate
3) Will cut from the military as aggressively as will he will cut from social programs.
4) Is a non-interventionist internationally
5) Believes in the right to privacy and our civil liberties
6) Believes in government as a necessary, stabilizing force in society
7) Believes in an appropriate level of a social safety net that takes care of the infirm, disabled, etc., who cannot care for themselves and have no family to do so.
9) Believes that climate change exists and promotes scientific efforts to ameliorate its effects
10) Believes in the importance of education and the need for radical educational reform that doesn't starve public schools
11) Believes in the need for government intervention to insure protection of religious, racial, economic and sexual minority groups.
12) Believes in health care as a right afforded to everyone, not a privilege for those who can pay for it.

Right now even my Democratic candidates don't meet many of these elements, and I believe the Republicans are more fiscally responsible.

So here I am-- A life long progressive, Democrat whose vote is up for grabs. Show me the candidate. Convince me. But know where I come from and know that my commitment to other issues listed is steadfast.

1, 6, 8, 9, and 12 makes you a liberal.

Keep in mind that is why they call the republican party the party of conservatives, as they do not promote leftists liberal views.

Stay with the democrats. Items #1,6,8,9, and 12 are liberal points of view and will never be promoted by conservatives.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Frankly, I think our country should have more fiscal sanity. Massive budget cut backs, and fiscal restraint is an absolute necessity. Yes, I wouldn't mind lower amounts of taxation as well. I do think that lower taxation stimulates business and helps the economy in general.

So this progressive is open to voting Republican. If you can find me a Republican who:

1) Will work to appeal DOMA
2) Wants to keep Religion and State totally separate
3) Will cut from the military as aggressively as will he will cut from social programs.
4) Is a non-interventionist internationally
5) Believes in the right to privacy and our civil liberties
6) Believes in government as a necessary, stabilizing force in society

Right now even my Democratic candidates don't meet many of these elements, and I believe the Republicans are more fiscally responsible.

So here I am-- A life long progressive, Democrat whose vote is up for grabs. Show me the candidate. Convince me. But know where I come from and know that my commitment to other issues listed is steadfast.
I would consider it only if Paul was running as the GOP candidate, any of the othe candidates and this Independent will help Obama get re-elected.
Casper

Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I would vote Republican after the sun goes nova. The Democratic Party man be held captive by the wealthy but the Republican Party are the wealthy. I am annoyed by the Dems but fear the Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies