U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

4,374 posts, read 3,122,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
KNOXVILLE - Breath mints packaged in a tin can poking fun at President Barack Obama have been pulled from the shelves at the University of Tennessee bookstore after local legislator Joe Armstrong told store officials he was offended by the mints.

Armstrong, D-Knoxville, said he got a call from a student who had seen the satirical mints in the bookstore and was bothered by the depiction of the president.
The tin can reads: "This is change? Disappointmints."
Armstrong followed up Tuesday with a visit to the bookstore, located in the basement of the University Center, where he talked to director David Kent.
"I explained to him that I felt those mints were politically specific products that had no educational value," Armstrong said.
Satirical mints poking fun at Obama pulled from UT bookstore » Knoxville News Sentinel

Don't poke fun at Dear Leader.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM

33,490 posts, read 22,348,777 times
disappointmints, lol!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:00 PM

898 posts, read 750,554 times
Just another example of how the radical left works.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,191,844 times
Quote:
"I explained to him that I felt those mints were politically specific products that had no educational value," Armstrong said.
And there, folks, is your civics lesson of the day... Government in Action

Moral... Vote Libertarian

Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,807,568 times
Is this for real?

"Disappointmints" is hilarious. Very clever. Of all the political propaganda trash one can find on campuses, this was chosen to be removed?

For those that don't believe the progressives in this country are not leading us down a path to Fascism, kindly pull your head out of the sand and pick up a copy of Jonah Goldberg's, "Liberal Fascism." (Hint: If you attend a public university, you may want to order the book from Amazon, because your campus bookstore has probably already censored this book and pulled it from their shelves.)

Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,646,398 times
"I'm offended"

Wow..those two words seem to move mountains. And you don't even have to see it to be offended..just get a phone call from a single person who was bothered by it.

squash dissent..isn't that some rule in an extreme left playbook ?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,720,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"I'm offended"

Wow..those two words seem to move mountains. And you don't even have to see it to be offended..just get a phone call from a single person who was bothered by it.

squash dissent..isn't that some rule in an extreme left playbook ?

YES!!! That is exactly from the Far Left playbook. Marginalize them, ridicule them, polarize them.....Saul Alinsky.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM

5,351 posts, read 6,488,747 times
I think the idea and graphic design was clever, and I disagree with them being pulled, especially since books with sharp political views are apparently allowed to be sold there.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 PM

19,215 posts, read 13,787,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
disappointmints, lol!
The more things stay the same, the more things don't change.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM

7,008 posts, read 6,346,046 times
Thumbs down Humorless Democrat Rep Joe Armstrong has Obama mints pulled from bookstore

Another sad example of the Democrats' core belief of, 'Free Speech For Me But Not For Thee'

Satirical mints poking fun at Obama pulled from UT bookstore » Knoxville News Sentinel
Quote:
Breath mints are usually refreshing, but a Knoxville legislator believes a University of Tennessee bookstore's selling of novelty candies mocking President Barack Obama stinks.

UT officials pulled the mints poking fun at Obama from store shelves after state Rep. Joe Armstrong, a Democrat, visited the bookstore and told the director he found the satirical mints offensive.

"When you operate on state and federal dollars, you ought to be sensitive to those type of politically specific products," Armstrong said. "If it was a private entity or corporation or store, (that's different), but this is a state university. We certainly don't want in any way to put the university in a bad light by having those political (products), particularly aimed at defaming the president."
After years of calling GW Bush a "Nazi" and other tasteless forms of hate speech thrown at him -- All of a sudden!, Democrats think defaming the President is wrong, wrong, wrong!

Quote:
The tin can of mints has a blue and red image of the president with the words: "This is change? Disappointmints."
LOL wish I could buy these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies