Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,269,994 times

Advertisements

Some lawmakers want to eliminate the tax on gasoline.

This is how the price of gasoline is broken down:
Taxes: 13%
Distribution and Marketing: 8%
Refining: 14%
Crude oil: 65%

On a $4 gallon of gasoline, eliminating the tax would save consumers 52 cents per gallon. On a typical 13 gallon tank in a car that would be almost $7 per fillup! If you fill up once a month that would be $84 per year back in the consumers pocket!

Gas tax may be next tea party target – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Sounds like a good plan to me. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 PM

45,336 posts, read 26,914,776 times
Are they including state taxes in that? They vary per state.

Gasoline Tax Rates by State

Fed taxes are 18.4 cents per gallon

Also from your numbers - the current info is slightly different on the DOE page.

WHAT WE PAY FOR IN A GALLON OF REGULAR GASOLINE

Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Are they including state taxes in that? They vary per state.

Gasoline Tax Rates by State

Fed taxes are 18.4 cents per gallon

Also from your numbers - the current info is slightly different on the DOE page.

WHAT WE PAY FOR IN A GALLON OF REGULAR GASOLINE
I think they should include state taxes (pass a law in the state legislature).

Gasoline should be like staple groceries (no taxes)

Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
How to propose building and maintaining roads if the gas tax is eliminated?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,601,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How to propose building and maintaining roads if the gas tax is eliminated?
Do you honestly think that's all they use the gas tax revenue for?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,647,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I think that we should tax things we don't want.

I think gas consumption is bad - bad for national security, since we buy it from politically destabilized areas. Bad for the economy since we have to run a huge trade deficit to import it. Bad for the environment (just look at the gulf.)

Therefore we should tax it. Taxing it will raise the price, and when the price is higher, people will seek alternatives.

Of course, people have been saying this for years, and nobody listens. The common man wants cheap gas. The common man can't distinguish between sustainable and unsustainable economic growth. Our country is pretty shortsighted; we are worried more about next quarter's earnings than we are about long-term solutions to our biggest problems.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,601,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

I think gas consumption is bad -- we don't want it, and therefore we should tax it.
You do realize the average American needs gas to fuel their cars to get to work to pay taxes, right?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I think gas consumption is bad - bad for national security, since we buy it from politically destabilized areas. Bad for the economy since we have to run a huge trade deficit to import it. Bad for the environment (just look at the gulf.)

Therefore we should tax it. Taxing it will raise the price, and when the price is higher, people will seek alternatives.
Gasoline is a staple in many peoples lives. In the midwest you literally need a car to get to your job. There is frustration with the cost of gasoline because a lot of people don't have a choice-- they have to buy it. This is how it differs from "sin taxes."

Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,080,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Eliminating the federal excise tax would be good, since that is just a free money grab for your Congress to spend, but what would prevent the States from increasing the tax vacated by the pseudo-federal government?

It's no secret States have lost a lot of revenues from gasoline tax and are looking for alternative ways to get around it, like taxing miles driven instead.

The bottom line is that your infrastructure, especially your Interstates, US Routes and bridges along those routes are in dire need of repair, so I think fluffing your feathers on this is a bit premature.

If the pseudo-federal government eliminates the federal excise tax, then the States will simply raise their taxes an appropriate amount, and if the pseudo-federal government eliminates the federal excise tax and then bars States from also taxing gasoline, then you'll be hit with a tax on the miles you drive, so I don't see how you can win on this.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM

572 posts, read 1,606,135 times
Quote:

I think gas consumption is bad -- we don't want it, and therefore we should tax it.
I think we should tax it but for a different reason. I like the fact that it's a consumer tax and therefore voluntary. If you don't want to pay the tax, don't buy the gas. Although I will conceed you point that we should tax things we don't want which is why the income tax is so horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies