Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:09 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Or a bunch of lazy parasite leeches.
"And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

"If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

"But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you."

‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? ‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? ‘When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ “The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

Hard to live up to his teachings, but you shouldn't just flat-out deny them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 01:13 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Exodus 30:11-16: Then the LORD said to Moses, “When you take a census of the Israelites to count them, each one must pay the LORD a ransom for his life at the time he is counted. Then no plague will come on them when you number them. Each one who crosses over to those already counted is to give a half shekel, according to the sanctuary shekel, which weighs twenty gerahs. This half shekel is an offering to the LORD. All who cross over, those twenty years old or more, are to give an offering to the LORD. The rich are not to give more than a half shekel and the poor are not to give less when you make the offering to the LORD to atone for your lives. Receive the atonement money from the Israelites and use it for the service of the tent of meeting. It will be a memorial for the Israelites before the LORD, making atonement for your lives.”

So, the Jews were already paying this 'ransom' (which came to be translated as a 'poll tax' as well as other names) by the time of the Romans.

Briefly, the Romans thought it was a fine idea, and so they instituted their own poll tax (i.e., a set amount that every male over age 20 had to pay to the Roman Emperor), as well as additional taxes on wine, wheat, etc (which, if I recall, was either paid 'in kind', or by coin).

I have forgotten much since I studied the Bible, but the Jews were mad over the Emperor (or the Ceasar) putting his likeness on the coins, and then having to pay the Roman Empire.

Note that the LORD seemed to prefer a flat-tax, with rich and poor paying the same.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I've noticed that when I am in a tax discussion with a lefty, they always ask WWJD (what would Jesus do?).

And they are usually atheists.

It's almost as if they want a theocracy.
Most liberals are not atheists, especially in this country. Generalization fail.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
because lefties dont have rational arugments they can only appeal to emotion.
My irony meter just exploded.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
poll tax? so democrats are in favor of taxing the people when they vote?

that is what a poll tax is.
It's referring to the taxes that were levied on Roman citizens each year. Also can denote the actual physical coins used to pay taxes. Doesn't make any claims to voting.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
"And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

"If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

"But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you."

‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? ‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? ‘When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ “The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

Hard to live up to his teachings, but you shouldn't just flat-out deny them.
As evident by the Republicans trend of wearing their religion on their sleeve, in my experience most conservatives haven't the foggiest clue what Jesus' teachings were aside from their whole, "you're going to be tortured in Hell for not agreeing with us" pulpit speech.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Exodus 30:11-16: Then the LORD said to Moses, “When you take a census of the Israelites to count them, each one must pay the LORD a ransom for his life at the time he is counted. Then no plague will come on them when you number them. Each one who crosses over to those already counted is to give a half shekel, according to the sanctuary shekel, which weighs twenty gerahs. This half shekel is an offering to the LORD. All who cross over, those twenty years old or more, are to give an offering to the LORD. The rich are not to give more than a half shekel and the poor are not to give less when you make the offering to the LORD to atone for your lives. Receive the atonement money from the Israelites and use it for the service of the tent of meeting. It will be a memorial for the Israelites before the LORD, making atonement for your lives.”

So, the Jews were already paying this 'ransom' (which came to be translated as a 'poll tax' as well as other names) by the time of the Romans.

Briefly, the Romans thought it was a fine idea, and so they instituted their own poll tax (i.e., a set amount that every male over age 20 had to pay to the Roman Emperor), as well as additional taxes on wine, wheat, etc (which, if I recall, was either paid 'in kind', or by coin).

I have forgotten much since I studied the Bible, but the Jews were mad over the Emperor (or the Ceasar) putting his likeness on the coins, and then having to pay the Roman Empire.

Note that the LORD seemed to prefer a flat-tax, with rich and poor paying the same.
Correct. The Greek word used in that verse is "Kensos", which means tribute (and is translated that way in most Bible versions). It was a monetary value that all citizens had to pay to the Emperor.

Incidently, many/most scholars today believe the Mark of the Beast described in revelation (that most crazy conservatives believe will be an electronic chip sown under your skin) was in reference to Roman citizens having to buy and sell goods with coins depicting the Roman Emperor on them.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Since 90% of Americans consider themselves religious and we know for a fact that 90% of Americans are not conservatives. The argument that Liberals are non-religious is a non-starter.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Since 90% of Americans consider themselves religious and we know for a fact that 90% of Americans are not conservatives. The argument that Liberals are non-religious is a non-starter.
Yeah, but none of the liberals are "True Christians".

Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Mark 12:13-17: Then they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to Him in order to trap Him in a statement. They came and said to Him, “Teacher, we know that You are truthful and defer to no one; for You are not partial to any, but teach the way of God in truth. Is it lawful to pay a poll-tax to Caesar, or not? Shall we pay or shall we not pay?” But He, knowing their hypocrisy, said to them, “Why are you testing Me? Bring Me a denarius to look at.” They brought one. And He *said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” And they said to Him, “Caesar’s.” And Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” And they were amazed at Him.
Render unto Caesar, THINGS THAT ARE CAESARS.. Not YOURS..

According to your explination, we should be looking for Andrew Jackson to give him our $20 bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies