Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:12 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Ever hear of the heat island effect?

When these stations started recording data, they weren't surrounded by asphalt, didn't have exhaust from air conditioners blowing on them, weren't set up next to bbq grills, etc.

The stations haven't changed, but the conditions around them have. There's a site out there that documents some of the worst of them. Don't have the link handy and don't have time to go find it, but it shouldn't be hard to locate if you're genuinely interested.
Wattsupwiththat used to do that. Havn't looked in there for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
It doesn't matter what the average person believes. In the 15th century, the average person thought the Earth was flat. Facts are facts and are still so regardless beliefs.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I was afraid you were an environmentalist and now you have admitted it. Hmmmmmm What west coast environmental clubs do you belong to?
No, I am not really an environmentalist. I care a lot about the environment, but I am not in any "clubs." I actually have many issues with environmental groups, as I find them a bit too absolute in their demands (like the Tea Party). I believe people and nature can coexist in many areas.

I will not provide my identity, but I will give you some clues: 1) I am a member of three scientific societies (Ecological Society of America, Society of Wetland Scientists, and Natural Areas Association), I am also a former Fulbright Fellow to small soggy island in the North Atlantic, and I lead a scientific program with several PhD scientists. My work has been published in Ecology, Environmental Management, Environmental Monographs, Plant Ecology, Quarterly Review of Biology,etc. I do not claim to know everything about climate, but I do respect science and I am very familiar with the process of reviewing and publishing science. Believe it or not. That is all I will say.

I come here for discussion, entertainment, and a bit of sport. KUChief hit my hot button with that. Enough said.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I can throw around any term I like. Just because you don't approve of it makes no difference to me. Now back to your peer reviewing.
Of course you can.

The point is that you are claiming that the vast majority of scientist are liars and spin doctors. That is absurd. While a few are undoubtedly lying scoundreds, most scientists have a burning curiosity about the world, and the pursuit of the truth. And most have earned a PhD with years of research experience beyond that. They are not infallible, of course, but to call the whole enterprise junk is ridiculous, and insulting to those who spend their lives trying to serve society. The consensus on this topic is very strong, and warrants respect for those who care about their children and children's children.

But since most scientists lean left, they are not on your team, so you must flame them. Is that it? Who benefits from that?

Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Wattsupwiththat used to do that. Havn't looked in there for a while.
Yep, his name is Anthony Watts and the project is surfacestation.org which was the center point for his data collection until he published his findings. His Paper is now published, you can read it on the Watts up with that site now as well as any objections and rebuttals concerning it.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Global warming comes down to this.

Is there evidence of global warming? Yes.

Do we know if man has caused it? Not for sure, but we've probably at least contributed to it.

If we stopped all carbon emissions tomorrow and destroyed the economy, would it do anything about global warming? Absolutely not.

I'm for getting off of carbon based fossil fuels, especially petroleum for transportation. But my desire to do so has little to do with global warming, its about national security and that 50% of our trade deficit is from oil imports.

The idea that America shutting down its carbon emissions would make China, the EU, and other developing nations cut theirs is ridiculous.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
No, I am not really an environmentalist. I care a lot about the environment, but I am not in any "clubs." I actually have many issues with environmental groups, as I find them a bit too absolute in their demands (like the Tea Party). I believe people and nature can coexist in many areas.

I will not provide my identity, but I will give you some clues: 1) I am a member of three scientific societies (Ecological Society of America, Society of Wetland Scientists, and Natural Areas Association), I am also a former Fulbright Fellow to small soggy island in the North Atlantic, and I lead a scientific program with several PhD scientists. My work has been published in Ecology, Environmental Management, Environmental Monographs, Plant Ecology, Quarterly Review of Biology,etc. I do not claim to know everything about climate, but I do respect science and I am very familiar with the process of reviewing and publishing science. Believe it or not. That is all I will say.

I come here for discussion, entertainment, and a bit of sport. KUChief hit my hot button with that. Enough said.

No wish to play games, that is a form of politics.

Science operates on the pursuit of truth, to which you seem to be avoiding in your position.

I don't care who you are, I care about what you can do to back up your position. If you come here looking for me to accept appeals to authority, then think again. I have proven PHD's to be completely wrong in my own field, I don't buy into the "I am an expert, what I say is fact".

You want me to respect you? Then argue your case quantitatively and quit thinking that titles mean a damn thing. It is not who you are, it is what you say and how you can support that. If you can not, then bugger off, I have no interest in discussing subjective appeals.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Global warming comes down to this.

Is there evidence of global warming? Yes.

Do we know if man has caused it? Not for sure, but we've probably at least contributed to it.

If we stopped all carbon emissions tomorrow and destroyed the economy, would it do anything about global warming? Absolutely not.

I'm for getting off of carbon based fossil fuels, especially petroleum for transportation. But my desire to do so has little to do with global warming, its about national security and that 50% of our trade deficit is from oil imports.

The idea that America shutting down its carbon emissions would make China, the EU, and other developing nations cut theirs is ridiculous.
Actually, recent preliminary evaluation of the hadCRUT data which was finally released isn't suggesting global trends exactly (some warming over all), but mainly regional warming.

Analysing the complete hadCRUT yields some surprising results | Watts Up With That?

As I said, it is preliminary and time will evolve the truth, but it appears at first glance that the "global warming" as was proclaimed isn't so global at all.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Actually, recent preliminary evaluation of the hadCRUT data which was finally released isn't suggesting global trends exactly (some warming over all), but mainly regional warming.

Analysing the complete hadCRUT yields some surprising results | Watts Up With That?

As I said, it is preliminary and time will evolve the truth, but it appears at first glance that the "global warming" as was proclaimed isn't so global at all.
The average global temperatures have increased, from most data. However, regional disparity is going to be part of that. Obviously its going to be hotter in Tennessee on average then it will be in Quebec.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,157 times
I'm not saying we are steering the plane directly into the side of the mountain.

But if you honestly think the way we are treating this planet overall is not detrimental to its health and balance; I honestly don't know what to say that would convince you otherwise.

Isn't the 'firm' that has been hired to 'fight global climate change' the same one that was hired by Cig companies to convince us with data that smoking is not detrimental to your personal health, and health of others back in the day? I swear I either read that, or saw it in a documentary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies