Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
I think we need to focus on resource control, not necessarily population control.

I wouldn't have a child to get a tax break - would you?

No, I would never bring a child into this world then expect taxpayers to help take care of him or her. Unfortunately many people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
There are too many people on the planet.....What do you think will happen?
Resources are limited. Let's have a discussion on how to deal with overpopulation. Think out of the box....Think any way you please but think about this and submit your responses. Thank you.
Spiritwalker
I believe that this may be a false assumption. Stuff I have read over the past few years indicates shrinking future population, not expanding:

Demography | How to deal with a falling population | Economist.com

Shrinking world - 16 March 2002 - New Scientist

Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
Providing tax incentives to raise families is good for every American. Any person who decides not to have children is in such a small minority that politically they have zero representation and will not be heard. The fact that you want to sit on an internet forum and whine about it shows ignorance and naivete.

Over popoulation is the least of our problems, especially here in the US

Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM

283 posts, read 1,384,442 times
I think this whole capitalism thing is the problem. It is all about instilling fear in the majority of people and the majority eat it up like cake. Eventually the majority are so fear riddled that they can't think sane or logically. We are not running out of resources and we are not overpopulated. If people choose to have more children then they can bear then let them support them without any government incentive. They should starve and die hopefully, but don't let that mislead you. That doesn't mean there are limited resources. It just means she or he were not meant to stay in this planet for too long. And in every society there has always been poor and wealthy, if we haven't becomed extinct yet then don't expect for it to happen anytime soon.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
We could start a nuclear war, that should shrink the population quiet effectively and possibly even end population altogether.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Perhaps some group or invidual who is highly intelligent and has access to the right equipment will genetically engineer viruses that shorten the lives of people or knock out their reproductive potential. You could even tailor the viruses to genetic markers and control the populations most affected by overbreeding. The other side of this is that nature will eventually do it, as it does with all species to prevent overpopulation. The alternative is to run out of food and starve to death, not a good thing.

My plan would be to isolate the conditions that cause homosexuality and infect the third world nations with it. Less mating=less births and the remaining people will be "fabulous"! Imagine those run-down African and Latin American slums becomming like South Beach. Port-Au-Prince would be a tropical paradise.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
<sarcasm>That's a start. Also, instead of helping countries that are diseased, famine-ridden, and dying... just let darwinism take its course. How about ending the "sue to get rich quick" because a doctor let a woman deliver a baby naturally and she was in pain or a robber breaks into a house, gets hurt and sues.. or even suing Burger King because the food made somebody fat.

How about stopping all the anti-smoking ads so people will smoke and die? </sarcasm>

Ok, I needed a quick laugh. Sorry. Onto the topic on hand. I agree that there are too many incentives to have children. In Stat class, we worked with Social Services to get general numbers for welfare. Along with statistical estimates (such as car estimates from a used car dealership, housing estimates from a real estate company), we calculated that a single welfare mother of five children can "earn"/"save" about $72,000/year. This includes section 8 housing, food stamps, WIC, medicaid benefits (only calculated 1 visit a year for the children and 2 emergency room visits based off of averages from Medicaid), TANF, a free car *charity*, free breakfast/lunches at school, Child Support, free daycare, and gas cards (sad... but true).

The only problem I see is that if we do cut benefits from these despicable women who abuse the system, the only people to really get hurt would be the children. In some cases, I can see women leaving their children in Wal-mart or dropping them off at Social Services because they aren't getting the luxury they want. If these women had to work for their money, yes, there *HOPEFULLY* be less children born, but do we really want to hurt the children who are already here?
If it's true about the "$72,000/year" you mentioned, then those funds can be spent on the children. I believe it's very likely that a great many such children will much better off away from such loser parent/s.

With tax savings that will come from limiting welfare for abusers and from increased donations from Americans, homes and services can be provided for welfare children to help them become productive citizens--WITHOUT additional tax burdens on the citizenry.

Over time, education will vastly increase the numbers of productive and responsible citizens. If we implement meaningful modified programs, and the sooner the better, welfare will be a rare thing that occurs from truly dire straits.

However, along with these programs will have to be that very difficult mindset called "tough love" because, without it, success stories will be hard to come by. We have to stop being enablers.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Default A problem in World However.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Providing tax incentives to raise families is good for every American. Any person who decides not to have children is in such a small minority that politically they have zero representation and will not be heard. The fact that you want to sit on an internet forum and whine about it shows ignorance and naivete.

True that here in the U.S. there seems to be an awareness of the finite nature of resources ect......I wouldn't rank this as the greatest problem that we face but I would not say it is the LEAST of our problems..... An ever shrinking globe makes over population everyone's problem.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,960 times
Quote:

Your type of attitude is one of the great reasons we're in this mess; hopefully, more people will wake up to reality.

OVERPOPULATION IS NOT A SOLUTION; IT IS A PROBLEM!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:

you've failed to say HOW it is good for every american. i would disagree with you b/c there is a huge amount of single taxpayers out there. It is far from ZERO. The fact that you are responding the way that you did shows that you don't seem to be very knowledgable on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies