Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So we should tax people on government assistance?

Lets give you three dollars while we take one out of your back pocket?

Yeah, that makes sense.
Its income, is it not? Why would you NOT tax ALL income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Adding a middle tax man only increases government cost.

Either lower benefits, or lower taxes. But increasing taxes while keeping benefits the same is stupid and creates waste.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:

You might want to really THINK about what you just said. Most conservatives/Republicans support some pretty big tax breaks.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Adding a middle tax man only increases government cost.
It does not increase the cost on government, they are collecting returns regardless of your income levels. Some of them just owe $0.
Quote:
Either lower benefits, or lower taxes. But increasing taxes while keeping benefits the same is stupid and creates waste.
Coming from you thats shocking. Ooh wait, thats right, we're discussing people who are GIVEN money, you have no problem taking money from those who actually earn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You might want to really THINK about what you just said. Most conservatives/Republicans support some pretty big tax breaks.
No need to rethink it, many conservatives support THE SAME taxes across the board, not special taxes for you, while I have to pickup the tab.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
It does not increase the cost on government, they are collecting returns regardless of your income levels. Some of them just owe $0.

Coming from you thats shocking. Ooh wait, thats right, we're discussing people who are GIVEN money, you have no problem taking money from those who actually earn it.

No need to rethink it, many conservatives support THE SAME taxes across the board, not special taxes for you, while I have to pickup the tab.

Wrong, most support big tax breaks for homeowners and higher ("split roll") taxes on rental property.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
That's the GOP for you. Big business first, all the little people last.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
That dreaded veto comes to about five bucks a month to the people effected. Go cry me a river. I guess one less pack of smokes a month. The same folks crying would be hailing all the jobs created if he got his plan for 50% reduction in corporate taxes which would have had business booming. Or they would be mad they'd have to actually get a job.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
I tell you, the more I follow politics, the more convinced I am that most Republicans really do despise middle and lower income people. I try to think the best of people. I really do.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad (R) has a curious justification for vetoing a tax break last week for 240,000 Iowa families making $45,000 or less a year: the plan didn’t also include a tax break for corporations. Members of both parties in the Iowa House and Senate agreed to increase the state’s Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which reduces the amount of income taxes lower-income families owe:

The change would have saved Iowa families an estimated $28.5 million in taxes over two years.

Iowa’s GOP Governor Vetoes Tax Break For The Poor Because It Didn’t Lower Corporate Taxes | ThinkProgress
If you cite ThinkProgress as a source you've failed from the outset. Hyperpartisan opinion has nothing whatsoever to do with actual news.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That dreaded veto comes to about five bucks a month to the people effected. Go cry me a river. I guess one less pack of smokes a month. The same folks crying would be hailing all the jobs created if he got his plan for 50% reduction in corporate taxes which would have had business booming. Or they would be mad they'd have to actually get a job.

Let's say you have some crappy low-wage job. Now let's say a corporate tax cut is passed and business is booming.

Do you become better off or worse off?

My guess is that most people with crappy low-wage jobs will become worse off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies