Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 06:41 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
All these people who get free birth control will likely not be smart enough to realize that birth control does not protect against STDs, HIV, AIDS and will have unprotected sex.
Once more, with feeling... this married, monogamous woman with a graduate degree, who pays thousands of dollars in premiums a year for private insurance and most certainly understands how STDs are transmitted, will receive the birth control benefit. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Again, this married, monogamous woman with a graduate degree, who pays thousands of dollars in premiums a year for private insurance and most certainly understands how STDs are transmitted, will receive this benefit. Try again.
Do you think you represent the majority of people who will receive this benefit? I don't.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Do you think you represent the majority of people who will receive this benefit? I don't.
I think that you and a couple of other posters are deliberately engaging in hyperbole to steer this thread in a direction intended to inflame opinions, rather than debating the merits of the program calmly and rationally.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I think that you and a couple of other posters are deliberately engaging in hyperbole to steer this thread in a direction intended to inflame opinions, rather than debating the merits of the program calmly and rationally.
And I think you are someone who does not understand that this country cannot take on more debt.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 PM

What does private insurance companies' obligations have to do with the national debt?

Old 08-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
What does a private insurance companies' obligations have to do with the national debt?
You can't be serious. If the federal government mandates this, the cost will be passed along. Do you not realize how many people are on subsidized healthcare in the United States?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
And I think you are someone who does not understand that this country cannot take on more debt.
^
Thank you

Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
So federally subsidized insurance is the cause of the national debt? I. . . don't. . . . think. . . . so! Why is it that any program that benefits the average person is not OK b/c "there just isn't any money", but the military with all its waste has the full suport of the same people who say that?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So federally subsidized insurance is the cause of the national debt? I. . . don't. . . . think. . . . so! Why is it that any program that benefits the average person is not OK b/c "there just isn't any money", but the military with all its waste has the full suport of the same people who say that?
I never stated it was the cause of the debt. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Any reasonable person knows that a new entitlement program will add to the national debt. Who, in their right mind, would think we should do this when we are likely to default on our debt in the near future?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it is just that people like to have sex, but some can't afford the pills, so they get pregnant. In some marriages women have to have sex whether they like it or not, - out of obligation, and maybe the man doesn't want to use condoms. The problem is that the kid is usually unwanted, and will end up in welfare, or worse, - a criminal who prays on other people. And then they end up in prison, which is another burden for the society. This is true whether or not there are subsidies. See Africa for example.
And the argument could easily be made that these idiots don't use condoms because they know they can just jump on welfare and get their failures subsidized. This isn't Africa. We have access to protection, birth control, etc. and it ain't that expensive. We can either keep babying them and letting the problem grow and grow like we have, or face the short term consequences. People are sick of being blackmailed with this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies