Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is actually progressive governance, maybe it really can happen here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 07:07 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Think what you will but the real shame is that so many women say it is ok for other women to just have sex and have births without accepting personal responsibility for their own actions. You might want to think about that before you go making personal remarks about me, or any other woman who dares to tell the damn truth.
I don't understand why you are laying all of the blame on the women alone.

Don't you think men should be held accountable at all?

Who is stopping them from being responsible and wearing a condom each and every time they have sex?

And, might I add, men are usually the ones who initiate sex in the first place. They know what they intend to do.....so why don't they make sure they are prepared?

The blame is shared equally, IMO. The man should make sure he has a condom....and use it.... and the woman should refuse to oblidge if he doesn't. Fifty/fifty.

If men are so "crazed" regarding the act of sex.....then I guess they shouldn't be held accountable for rape or pedophilia either. After all, we can't expect the poor fools to have any rational thought or control after those hormones kick in, can we? Is THIS your reasoning, that they are animals and they know not what they do?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Funny that arguing about birth control pills gets so much attention here. Not surprising, just funny. You also see a lot of people saying how much Obamacare is costing us, not based on any facts, just hate.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Doesn't help, probably not, but we still can't fall on sterilization just because we're not happy with how something is run.
I don't necessarily agree with it but you can't blame people for saying it when they are the ones paying the price.

Quote:
I agree with this to a point but stop at the idea of forcing people to get their stomach stapled. It would be too much interference by big business and the government alike for my tastes. And it would open a door I'd prefer be left closed.
Which I'm not suggesting. I'm suggesting the exact opposite. You are the one sticking up for government involvement. The government should be out of the stomach stapling and birth control business. Get fat if you want. Just don't come crying afterwards. It's your own damn fault.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
On the one hand, I see it as a preventative measure in controlling the larger problem, which is indiscriminate breeding. I would be willing to pay for that. On the the hand, I know from experience working in an abortion clinic that the most irresponsible women will not take the pill reliably or at all, even if you give it to them free (as we did). If the underlying motive is to control the birthrate of certain segments of society, a depo provera shot or a hormonal implant, both of which must be administered by a healthcare professional once every few months, would be a better choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If only......I really see nothing wrong with requiring someone who is on welfare to practice these types of birth control methods if they want that check. {unless there is a valid medical reason not to do so}

No one is taking your "right to procreate" away, if you don't like it, support yourself and your kids....no one is stopping you.
Quote:
No no, no no. You werent just talking about temporary forms of birth control in This thread. Maybe you, personally, were, but then trying to use the royal we to bolster an argument doesn't really work.

They are only incoherent if you missed part of the thread. Then, I'm sure, it would be easy to go this is out of left field. Expect it's not. If you'd like me to point you to specific posts, feel free to pm me.

Exaggeration? Whatever you need to tell yourself, I suppose.

Really? You might want to take a new look at page one.

So is remembering what you wrote. Even if you see all welfare and helpers as enabling their bad behaviors and view this as wrong... You still said the words. Maybe you meant them as snarky but that was missed in a typed setting.

Yes, I said it and you didn't. It's called an analogy.

Well bless your heart. You know, if you ran out of ground to stand on, you could have just bowed out of the conversation or even said, 'I'm not going there' rather than resort to ad hominem. It's just...lacking, somehow.
Here you go. Chattypatty and I were discussing depo prevera and hormonal implants........TEMPORARY forms of birth control.....never mentioned setrilization.....not once.....yet you attacked me for it. Not good form on YOUR part.

I think everyone here, except you, understood what I was saying about the cycle of poverty that welfare in its current form promotes. You may think women on welfare should feel free to have as many children as they want, but most taxpayers do not.

And, I thought my little "ad hominem", as you refer to it, was quite witty myself. LOL

Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I don't understand why you are laying all of the blame on the women alone.

Don't you think men should be held accountable at all?

Who is stopping them from being responsible and wearing a condom each and every time they have sex?

And, might I add, men are usually the ones who initiate sex in the first place. They know what they intend to do.....so why don't they make sure they are prepared?

The blame is shared equally, IMO. The man should make sure he has a condom....and use it.... and the woman should refuse to oblidge if he doesn't. Fifty/fifty.

If men are so "crazed" regarding the act of sex.....then I guess they shouldn't be held accountable for rape or pedophilia either. After all, we can't expect the poor fools to have any rational thought or control after those hormones kick in, can we? Is THIS your reasoning, that they are animals and they know not what they do?
The condom is the least effective bc method. I think if men became pregnant, they'd be more careful.

I'd support gov't. funded implants that reminded women to use their bc. That would cut unwanted pregnancies more than free bc that isn't used properly.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
For the most part, we aren't even talking about goverrnment subsidized BCP in this thread. This thread mainly impacts private insurance. Govt. subsidized pills are a minor subtopic to this isse.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The condom is the least effective bc method. I think if men became pregnant, they'd be more careful.

I'd support gov't. funded implants that reminded women to use their bc. That would cut unwanted pregnancies more than free bc that isn't used properly.
I know that condoms are not the most effective form of birth control, but when discussing responsibility, it was the most logical form to refer to.

Also, some women cannot use hormonal forms of BC because of seperate health issues. Hormonal BC can cause blood clots, etc. The risk is too high for some women.

I agree that implants are the way to go if you cannot trust yourself to take the pill as directed.

Yep, men's attitudes about a LOT of things would be different if they were the ones who had to deal with pregnancy.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You also see a lot of people saying how much Obamacare is costing us, not based on any facts, just hate.
We don't have any facts to go on, nobody has made that information available to us. Talk to Pelosi about that one.

Anyway, it's common sense that if a company is mandated to pay out more, it will need to take in more...and that will come in the way of increased premiums.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
If you can't afford any form of birth control, then you really really need to think twice about having sex. I am so far from being apart of the "anti-sex" or "sex is bad" crowd, however, it's a huge choice that can really impact your lives...

This is why other forms of sex are needed to be taught. Sorry, but if your daughter is going to have sex.. wouldn't you rather her end up giving BJ's to the guys instead of getting pregnant at 16? Yes yes, there's always abstinence and I fully agree with that choice. However, if the teens (or ANYONE rather!!!) decide they want to act on the stimulation of sex.. "vaginal" should be one the last choices unless both parties are equipped with anti-pregnancy protection lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies