Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Then why did Obama extend them?
That is why he is losing Progressive and Liberal support. I supported Kucinich during the primaries and there are many reasons why. Obama is a good man, but not what was needed for the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Most importantly is don't listen to the campaign rhetoric as much, but follow their voting record and where their money is coming from. Most all in the white house are bought and sold corporatist puppets, but there are a few out their that do truly fight for what's right and for the american people like the Deans, Kucinich, Grayson, Sanders, Nader, and quite a bit from Ron Paul as well.
Whatever you do keep talking the Media Matters, Kos line so we can identify you so readily. Maybe you should see Tim Huelskamp on some YouTube videos speaking on the floor of the House and talk shows to see if what you have been told is true. Also, maybe you should listen to Marco Rubio tear Jon Carry to pieces on the floor of the Senate in the same place.

BTW, I may vote for Nasty Nancy Pelosi before most of those you just named.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That is why he is losing Progressive and Liberal support. I supported Kucinich during the primaries and there are many reasons why. Obama is a good man, but not what was needed for the time.
Why did the left support and elect Obama?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Why did the left support and elect Obama?
They wanted a bankster puppet president. Only possible answer. The campaign contributors were well known before election day. That's what liberals and progressives wanted: more money going to the banksters.

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

Last edited by InformedConsent; 08-05-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 11:42 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Since the liberal media decided they were a big enough threat to the throne of their King, His Royal Highness Obama.

Leftists Employ Alinsky Tactics When Dealing With The Tea Party
Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky outlines the thirteen guidelines for growing and advancing the agenda of the Progressive Left. They are:

1. Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.
2. Never go outside the expertise of your people.
3. Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.
4. Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.
5. Ridicule is man's most potent weapon.
6. A good tactic is one your people enjoy.
7. A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.
8. Keep the pressure on.
9. The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.
10. Develop operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.
11. Push the negative...every positive has its negative.
12. The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.
13. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it and polarize it.

You'd think they'd pay attention to Rule #7 - "A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag". Calling Tea Partiers terrorists and racists and extremists got old a long while ago.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It buys votes.

If you only make $30,000 a year, most of the money you earn goes towards food, gas, rent and your bills, so I can understand a lower tax rate for these folks. But you are correct, that when they file their taxes they should not be getting a tax refund check that is actually larger then the income taxes they paid in.
The EITC was pretty well explained a couple of posts above yours. I have never seen EITC as anything but welfare and an attempt at buying votes although we have had it for years and few people even know about it.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Really, show me who is pushing for real tax code reform.
Casper
It sure isn't Obama and Geithner.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's more about how unbalanced it is. The people 1) pay no taxes but ALSO 2) get money out of the system. That leaves the rest of us middle class and rich folks to pay for literally everything.
Well the rest of us don't pay for literally everything. The people we are talking about do pay taxes, just not income taxes.

It's a matter of opinion whether or not it is balanced. I was a student not all that long ago, working a crap job, and the EITC was a lifesaver.

Quote:
Something is wrong with that. If more people were working (i.e., the tax base was enlarged), taxes would end up lower for everyone.
well as far as i understand it, these tax credits we are talking about are only available to people who work, or are students. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Please use some logic. The Gop are the ones fighting tooth and nail to keep those Bush Tax Cuts. I repeat...The Gop are the ones fighting tooth and nail to keep those Bush Tax Cuts. Who benefits from those tax cuts and why is it in their best interest to lobby for them? The tax cuts and the loopholes benefit Corporate America...don't you get that?

A regular on the cocktail and fundraising circuit, Boehner has long been friendly with a number of corporate and contract lobbyists — a network that he is increasingly relying on now as he eyes the Speakership.

Refresh my memory: isn’t this the sort of thing the Tea Party crowd is supposed to find offensive? Under the circumstances, it’s curious that the so-called “movement” is prepared to help make Boehner the Speaker of the House.
GOP Minority Leader John Boehner Doesn’t Even Try to Pretend He’s Not in Lobbyists’ Pockets « SpeakEasy (http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/05/26/gop-minority-leader-john-boehner-doesnt-even-try-to-pretend-hes-not-in-lobbyists-pockets/ - broken link)

Can't you read? I have advocated for Campaign Finance Reform, which would also include POTUS candidates.
Your quotes come from Alter Net which to me is an alternative world that I don't want to live in. Of course, since you use that place for your information you are throwing very biased info since that place is so biased.

I think you need to look at who voted against the damned foolishness the other day so you can back off the real Tea Party members. Oh well, get back to Alter Net and Media Matters and Think Progress and the other real standouts of left leaning propaganda.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Then why did Obama extend them?
One has to try to buy as many votes as possible and he is hard at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies