Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I am a supporter of the TEA Party. I have always wondered how people who never paid one dime of taxes got "refunds". Does that make me an extremist? I don't like paying taxes so others who don't pay taxes can get entitlements.
I am not a Tea person, in fact the opposite, but I have always agreed with this.

On the other hand, those who don't pay federal income tax do pay taxes: sales tax, gas tax, city and state taxes and fees &c.

It is just too bad that the Tea folks support corporate welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Well the rest of us don't pay for literally everything. The people we are talking about do pay taxes, just not income taxes.

It's a matter of opinion whether or not it is balanced. I was a student not all that long ago, working a crap job, and the EITC was a lifesaver.

well as far as i understand it, these tax credits we are talking about are only available to people who work, or are students. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.
I think that most are talking about the EITC and others something else. The EITC is nothing more than welfare for people who work very little. I hate even thinking about it being part of our Tax Code. A couple or three pages back in this thread there was a good explanation of the EITC.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:23 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Really, show me who is pushing for real tax code reform.
Casper
Casper, I think there is a lot to be learned by looking at the fate of the Gang of Six outline. Boehner, Reid, McConnell and Obama all signaled optimism about using it as the basis for an agreement and said good things about it shortly after it was released. The outline had tax reform as one of its three main points--the bipartisan, centrist proposal from Obama's own commission, Simpson Bowles. Take the garbage out of the tax code to widen the tax base, collect more money with lower rates--corporate AND personal.

Then Reid and Obama met at the White House on a Sunday afternoon. When Reid came out, he had been turned around completely--there was little hope of forging an agreement. Obama was OK with everything BUT the tax part, as evidenced by his continued class warfare rhetoric about "the rich."

I think truth in labeling should require the president to stop calling couples that make $250k "millionaires and billionaires."

Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
On the other hand, those who don't pay federal income tax do pay taxes: sales tax, gas tax, city and state taxes and fees &c.
And we also pay those taxes as well. Herman Cain has proposed a flat tax. I'm all for that along with no deductions. Zero. Everyone pays 10% of them income as federal tax (rate may change but that is just my idea). No deductions for charity. No deductions for having kids. No deductions for mortgage interest. EVERYONE earning money will have a stake in how the government runs. Better yet, a national sales tax. EVERYONE spending money will have a stake in how the government runs.

Now that paying taxes is so easy, no need for a huge IRS.

Quote:
Like bailouts? We don't. In fact, the government shouldn't be in business at all. They are the umpire. The make sure the playing field is level but they don't decide the winner and loser like they are now with GE.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't know why they became so extreme, it certainly isn't because they are taxed too much. It has to be another reason, let's see, when did they start, Jan 2009? Hmmmm.
This is sometimes credited as the first mention of having a tea party. Notice no caps. At the time, the acronym hadn't been created. The mention is a 2:10 of the video.

‪CNBC's Rick Santelli's Chicago Tea Party‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Got links supporting that?
Casper
Of course.

Huckabee defends Fair Tax proposal to skeptical Ways and Means members - TheHill.com

Herman Cain Talks 2012, Taxes and Iran on 'The O'Reilly Factor' - Interviews - The O'Reilly Factor - FoxNews.com

Pawlenty to Call for Deep Tax Cuts - Washington Wire - WSJ

Taxes (Ron Paul)

Old 08-05-2011, 11:41 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:

No we don't.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I am not a Tea person, in fact the opposite, but I have always agreed with this.

I forgot to ask you yesterday but now I am saying what sales tax does the US collect? Who collects it for them?

Please let me know about this because the only tax you listed that could be a sales tax was the gas tax and it is both state and federal.

I guess you think that some of those non-income tax payers pay as much in all those other taxes as I do in income tax. Has it occurred to you that I also pay all those taxes and probably a higher gas tax since I have to drive much farther to get to anything.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:01 AM

I guess you must have posted this list of links too late last night. The Ghost must have been in bed and he is obviously not up yet this morning.

Good list.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No we don't.
Well by golly the NYT and WAPO say that is true. Surely that makes it the truth in left handed land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies