Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,673,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Look at the first list shown there (Top 10 Most Visited NPS Units ) and then get back to me.
Yeah I saw that. Like they say in the link, a "NPS Unit" is not a national park. I looked at the table that was titled:

"Top 10 Most Visited National Parks"

Which, in my opinion, gives a more accurate picture of the Top 10 Most Visited National Parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,202,438 times
Have camped (in a cabin...would probably never do a tent) twice in my life and it was for the benefit of a youth group that I'm involved in with my children.

Ordinarily, I'm not into camping. I was born and raised in Washington, DC and I have little patience for vacations that involve no-AC, the possibility of encountering wild animals (bears, snakes), I don't like bugs and I am not a fan of hiking. While I enjoy going to parks for a day visit (usually surrounded by a BBQ or picnic), I'm not interested in spending more than a day at such a place. The idea of seeing a waterfall, natural site/etc is interesting, but not enough that I would want to spend my whole vacation there. If visiting such a site was on the way to my vacation destination, I'd definitely stop for a day trip.

As far as vacations go, I'm more of a beach/amusement park kind of girl.

Oh and re: cross country trip. Would love to do this with my family, but I always make sure that we visit areas that are urban and have a large Black presence. Would definitely not consider just driving and stopping wherever.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,037,012 times
Blacks are not outdoorsman.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,606,150 times
Maybe Skippy and Meeshell ought to go camping.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,264,411 times
Quote:
I don't recall ever paying an admission fee at any National Park.
YMMV....
Yeah, there are fees but they are not hefty. And there are FREE DAYS every year.

And in some parks, there are various concessions and lodges.

Here is overview:

US National Parks Fees - US-Parks.com

Here is one of my favorite lodges (in Yellowstone)

Yellowstone Cabins, Lodging, Inn, Camping, RV

Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,331,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yeah I saw that. Like they say in the link, a "NPS Unit" is not a national park. I looked at the table that was titled:

"Top 10 Most Visited National Parks"

Which, in my opinion, gives a more accurate picture of the Top 10 Most Visited National Parks.

Opinions are like anal openings. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,331,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yeah, there are fees but they are not hefty. And there are FREE DAYS every year.

And in some parks, there are various concessions and lodges.

Here is overview:

US National Parks Fees - US-Parks.com

Here is one of my favorite lodges (in Yellowstone)

Yellowstone Cabins, Lodging, Inn, Camping, RV

Interesting- I didn't know.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,673,674 times
Quote:
Opinions are like anal openings. Everyone has one and they all stink.
Yup. and facts don't always do what we want them to do.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,264,411 times
Quote:
I've never paid an admission fee to go into a National Park. I also can not recall seeing any marketing geared at driving me to go to a park. The ones I have been to have been mostly school field trips and then me taking action on my own by taking my son because I wanted him to experience them.
Don't know where you live, but we have a very active state tourism program here in NC.

And as a former newspaper editor, we used to receive mailings about national parks, rates, free days, etc. - so we could develop feature stories or do blurbs in the newspaper on those parks.

Yes, there are typically admission fees, but they are reasonable - and there are free days.

I try to take advantage of the "free days" whenever possible.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:24 AM

587 posts, read 1,132,515 times
interesting...maybe some of you should ask your black friends and black co-workers if they head to any national parks for camping and fishing with their families...Im sure you would get a NO from most of them....

with resources being as tight as they are right now, there is not a lot of disposable income to take a major trip to a national park, especially to those in the western US. Additionally, I know very few black families who own campers, rv's, boats or any outdoor recreation equipment.

the dynamic in the black family is if there is money to take a vacation, more than likely it will be to a coastal destination along the shores, to disney world, to washington dc to see the national government sites or to a big city like New York or LA, or if they are in the midwest or northeast, they are heading down south to grandma's house

most black families have huge family reunions in the summer time and get a chance to unite with their kinfolks from various areas of the country. Additionally, once kids start playing sports, they are typically running track, playing 7 on 7 football, AAU basketball and volleyball, little league and pony league baseball, and the kids are actively involved for the entire summer, and that also takes away from any family vacation, unless you are taking one in route to a sporting event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies