Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

This pretty much sums it all up:

cartoon index
Cartoons

Updated Monday, April 13, 2009, at 2:48 PM ET
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
NY Times Accidentally Proves the Immense Influence of the Tea Party
NY Times Accidentally Proves the Immense Influence of the Tea Party « Commentary Magazine
Did you read that link in toto? I have to wonder, but then the headline you use sounds like you may have.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I wish it wasn't the case, but the tea party has minimal influence in the House. For example, If the tea party had power the debt deal would not have passed. Many Reps who labeled themselves tea party to get elected have proven in fact to be establishment. So it's unfair to blame the tea party for anything. Although if the media repeats it enough the masses will believe it.
Masses have been had already. Too many who ran as Tea Party did vote yes on that illegally conceived law and a few remained true to their word.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I have said this many times: I am no fan of any polls, far too easy to manipulate a poll to make it sound as if you are asking honest questions but when you look at them closely you come to realize they are worded in a way that get people to usually select the choice you want them to make.
Casper
I don't think you read anything from Rasmussen other than the numbers. I really wish you could read some of the writing in their articles.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Congress can overrule the President's veto. It's not like he has the final say.
You do know the number of votes it takes for that, don't you? I doubt that any veto from The One will be overruled by the present Congress with the numbers of Democrats in the Senate. Nope, I think his threats all through that run up about increasing his credit card was safe as all billy hell.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That was in power most of this century....
You forgot legislation in the stretched powers of the President. He had far more to do with that debt law than he has any Constitutional right to use. He sat in on all those actually illegal meetings in the White House and will now sit with the Super Congress when they do things.

The law is still completely illegal in the manner in which it was written and voted on without debate in either house.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Quite an accomplishment to pull off The tea party/GOP led house has gained congress the status of the least approved in the history of the nation after the american people's strong opposition to their handling of the debt ceiling.

The tea party approval also is at record lows, of only 20%

Also: "All told, Republicans came out looking worse than the Democrats during the debt crisis, with 72 percent disapproving of the way Republicans in Congress handled the negotiations"
2012 isn't looking good for the right, that's for sure...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/us...pagewanted=all
This is what the lack of honest journalism will get you, distortions and a uninformed, ignorant public.

This has all gone according to plan, for the democrats. The did nothing for the two years, to ensure the government had sufficient funds to run itself in 2011, while they controlled both houses in congress. The first thing on the docket for republicans was to try and clean up the ineptitude from Pelosi's congress and Reid's senate for not passing a federal budget.

You cannot just set all the sails and abandon the wheelhouse, like the democrats did, and let the nation run rudderless for two years, and not expect things to fall apart.

It's really sad. The democrats had an overwhelming majority in the congress, with 59 to 60 democrat senators, and they we so inept, that the government ran out of money to run itself. There is no way in hell you can make excuses for this.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You do know the number of votes it takes for that, don't you? I doubt that any veto from The One will be overruled by the present Congress with the numbers of Democrats in the Senate. Nope, I think his threats all through that run up about increasing his credit card was safe as all billy hell.
Yes, 2/3 of both houses, so yes the current Congress' inability to compromise or agree on anything would make it tough, but the ability still exists. Not Obama's fault that our current Congress is a bunch of whiny spoiled children.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You forgot legislation in the stretched powers of the President. He had far more to do with that debt law than he has any Constitutional right to use. He sat in on all those actually illegal meetings in the White House and will now sit with the Super Congress when they do things.

The law is still completely illegal in the manner in which it was written and voted on without debate in either house.
I'm not sure about that. The congress and senate leaders are free to make whatever rules they care to, as long as the constitution is not violated. It will be up to the people to vote out these miscreants, even the courts would refuse to take this up.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Sort of like never letting a crisis go to waste?
No, I there is a HUGE difference in turning an existing crises to a gain, and actually creating a crises, so you can use it to manipulate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies