Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I knew a woman who had a brain tumor clearly visible on an MRI who still got denied.

If it was a meningioma (which it probably was), they are simply followed until they increase in size. The prognosis for survival with a meningioma is nearly 100%, as they are slow growing and are easily treated.

Someone who has a meningioma should not have disability. We have several people in our practice who have meningiomas who simply get scanned once a year and have been followed for many years. A glioblastoma or an astrocytoma is another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If it was a meningioma (which it probably was), they are simply followed until they increase in size. The prognosis for survival with a meningioma is nearly 100%, as they are slow growing and are easily treated.

Someone who has a meningioma should not have disability. We have several people in our practice who have meningiomas who simply get scanned once a year and have been followed for many years. A glioblastoma or an astrocytoma is another matter.
I am not sure if it was a glioblastoma or an astrocytoma but I do know it was said to be terminal which leads me to believe it probably wasn't a meningioma.

Anyway, I know a lot of people who suffer from legitimate disabilities who have been turned down time and time again by SSA, and I also know several people who have mild or non-existent disabilities that got approved.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 AM

305 posts, read 991,668 times
I think we can go on and on about this subject all day and all night for the next 10 years and everyone will have a different opinion. My son didn't ask for his disability and he contributes to the working world and I am proud of him for that. I wouldn't want his illness and the crap he puts up with because of ignorant and stupid people who don't understand. Oh their are many who don't deserve it and are abusing the system. That makes it hard for the people who really need it. I have a friend who is a severe diabetic but it wasn't until she got congestive heart failure they disabled her. Now she is on dialysis the rest of her life. Before that was a very hard worker.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
FRom the SS website:
Quote:
WHAT DOES "DISABLED" MEAN FOR AN ADULT?

An individual age 18 and older is "disabled" if he or she has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, which:

results in the inability to do any substantial gainful activity; and
can be expected to result in death; or
has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.
The significant phrase here is "substantial gainful activity." A person may not be able to function on their current/regular job, but that does not mean that they could not do some kind of work (gainful activity).

Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
FRom the SS website:
The significant phrase here is "substantial gainful activity." A person may not be able to function on their current/regular job, but that does not mean that they could not do some kind of work (gainful activity).
That still gets complicated. Most people would agree that deafness, blindness, and paraplegia are disabilities, but with the proper accommodations, they technically do not impede the ability to sustain gainful activity. There is definitely a medical aspect to disability that people have in their minds that has nothing to do with whether someone can work.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I listen to Coast To Coast AM and there was a guy complaining about illegals getting disability when he was on disability and only getting 800 dollars a month and that had to go for his car and rent and food. Thats a rare call for that show but of course you had to wonder why he couldn't just get a job. Another call that stuck in my mind was on Bruce Williams or Jim Bohannon . A man was complaining that after suffering a diabetic blackout he was unable to get a job as a driver for X number of years and was unable to find another job driving. Of course one wondered why he didn't look for another line of work but he wanted to drive for a living.
There is a HUGE amount of abuse in SSI. We can't afford to maintain it anymore.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:34 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Where would a person with any of the liver diseases stand on getting Social Security?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Why are children eligible for disability checks anyway? Would your 4 year old be bringing home a paycheck if she wasn't disabled??. I understand that disabled kids often have extra medical bills which is what Medicaid is for. But food, clothing and housing expenses are the same as for a non-disabled kid.
SSI for children is being used as back door welfare and the govt. has been swamped with applications since time limits were placed on traditional welfare programs. Vague, impossible to disprove diagnoses like ADHD and autism are often claimed.
There are far too many people in the US claiming disability. Not just SSI, but disabled Vet, workers comp, bogus auto and other insurance liability claims and on and on. Look in the phone book under attorneys and you will find numerous ads for disability lawyers, it's a huge industry.
Because often a parent can't work a full-time job and take care of a disabled child. i do agree that it's too often abused, as I know adults who had disablities as children that have grown out of it, and still collect.
I feel disability should be reviewed every so often (for kids too) an those who no longer need it, weened off. I say that because while they may be capable of work, they may need time to adjust.
However, I also know of cases where I'm in full support of the child recieveing disability and feel they should get more...cases of extreme Autism come to mind. A close friend of mine has real difficulty trying to work even pt because of all the appointments, and classes and what not her son needs to go to. He is 12 but has the capability of a 2 year old. Imagne having a kid that NEVER grows up but is well over 125 pounds and 5 feet tall. Trying to "baby-proof" the house against him and having to be ever vigilant.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Because often a parent can't work a full-time job and take care of a disabled child. i do agree that it's too often abused, as I know adults who had disablities as children that have grown out of it, and still collect.
I feel disability should be reviewed every so often (for kids too) an those who no longer need it, weened off. I say that because while they may be capable of work, they may need time to adjust.
However, I also know of cases where I'm in full support of the child recieveing disability and feel they should get more...cases of extreme Autism come to mind. A close friend of mine has real difficulty trying to work even pt because of all the appointments, and classes and what not her son needs to go to. He is 12 but has the capability of a 2 year old. Imagne having a kid that NEVER grows up but is well over 125 pounds and 5 feet tall. Trying to "baby-proof" the house against him and having to be ever vigilant.
That's exactly why. My youngest son has cerebral palsy & gets SSDI. I worked my whole life up until his diagnoses. He now goes to a special needs pre-school but only 3 hours a day,4 days a week. I would LOVE to be working, trust me, if I could find a job within those hours! When he is not at school there is always therapy & doctor's visits. I am now going back to school , 2 hours a night once a week & online, while my husband works two jobs.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THANKGOODNESSIMFABULOUS View Post
I would love to meet the people who decides if a person is disabled enough to receive social security disability benefits.

My daughter was born with down syndrome, and it took me 4 years to prove to the social security office that she was disabled. Back and fourth to doctors appt, interviews with the social security office. At that time where I lived there was not day cares equiped to handle a child with down syndrome, or anyone trained to.

So it really upsets me that my dont want to get off my ass and get a job sister in law is receiving social security disability, for chronic back pain.

How do I know that she is full of ****, one I have known her for 14 years. And you can not believe anything that she says. Her last boyfriend broke up with her when he found out that she lied about having cancer, when he was diagnosed.

Last weekend we all went to the nightclub and danced. She was on the dance floor dancing like there was no tomorrow. I left at midnight and she stayed until they closed at 2am. Then went dancing the rest of the weekend.

This is me just venting, but maybe the social security office should start checking peoples social websites like facebook to see how disabled these people receiving disability are.
None, seek help from local churches, charity organizations, and various non-profits which support such.

You would be surprised how helpful people are to others when it is a manner of offering help, and not a gun to their head to donate. Choice is key here. People WILL help, but you have to let them do such and not force them to do such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies